My Crow Molly is Back !
2017-03-07 18:30:50 UTC
I just fed Molly. It's the first time I've seen her in five months.
I've been feeding her now for almost eight years. It is
unnbeleivable !

Below is a post I made in 2014 that tells about Molly.

Did I ever tell y'all about my crow, Molly ?
Actually she is not "my" crow. But I have developed a lot of affection for her. She is a
typical wild crow -- who visits me regularly. I call her "Molly". I first met Molly in the
spring five years ago. About May of 2009.
I was in the back yard feeding the birds when I noticed a crow sitting on a limb about
fifty feet away -- looking at me. I had a piece of corn bread hush puppy in my hand. I
threw it out in the middle of the yard where she could see there was no danger. She
flew down, picked it up -- and flew back into the tree. She ate her snack that day -- and left.
We have a fairly deep yard and beyond it is a local and state park. Several hundred
acres of nice wildlife. But we seldom ever see crows -- except maybe one or two flying
over. They don't usually stop.
I was in the yard the next day, and there sat that crow on the same limb. I went into the
house and brought out a piece of a breakfast biscuit. I put it on top of a swing in the yard.
She swooped down, picked it up -- and ate it on the tree limb.
That started a long friendship. For two or three months, every nice day I would go out --
she would either already be in her tree -- our would arrive shortly. Sometimes twice a day.
Then about August, I didn't see her any more. I figured she must be dead. Probably
shot and killed by a stupid gun-wielding redneck.
But then ... about November -- I was outside and she lit on her limb. After almost three
months ! I continued to feed her until about February. She disappeared again. I finally
figured it out. She and I assume all other crows -- must migrate periodically to other parts
of our state. I have no idea whether she travels ten miles -- or a hundred.
But every two to four months -- she leaves for about that same period. but she always comes
back. I describe the bird as "her", because sometimes during the summer, she will be
accompanied by what looks like a young crow. I figure it must be her offspring -- which makes
her female. After a few weeks, the younger one disappears and Molly arrives alone ... as usual.
A couple years ago, I began to read up on crows. I have learned that they are regarded
as one of the most intelligent birds. I am not surprised.
So, anyway, Molly arrived this year the last of February. She appears to have nested
about a mile from the house - but she visits me at least once a day. She does love biscuits !
I get a couple buttered biscuits at Chi-Filet and give her a half of a half each visit.
A couple years ago, I made the mistake by giving her a small piece of a friend salmon patty.
She like to have gone crazy ! She loved it ! She wouldn't leave all day ! I've not done
that again. But I'm sure she keeps hoping I will.
Oh, well. I figure Molly it's about time for Molly to be leaving for her jaunt. I just wish I
knew where she goes. This month begins the sixth year of our friendship. I wonder how
many people have fed a wild animal for five years ?
El Castor
2017-03-07 20:33:16 UTC
[...]
We have a seed feeder (black oil sunflower) for smaller birds, suet
feeder for wood peckers, and some others, and every morning a dish of
raw peanuts in the shell. Two or three crows wait for the peanuts and
let out a couple of caws when they arrive. Then more crows show up,
along with blue jays, and 3 or 4 squirrels. The peanuts are gone in 10
minutes. Can't say I can tell the difference between crows, but they
are the most cautious, and probably the smartest, of the bunch.

I've told this story before, but just in case ... A few years ago the
wife and I pulled into a parking lot, got out of the car, and there
was this pathetic crow with a broken wing kind of trailing on the
ground as he hopped around. I was horrified, so I went into a
convenience store, bought a pastry, tore it in half, and tossed it to
the crow. He grabbed it and flew up on roof of the store where he
could dine in leisure. I later read that crows use the broken wing
trick to lure predators away from their nest, but this guy adapted it
for a different purpose. (-8
Gary
2017-03-07 21:05:06 UTC
On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 12:33:16 -0800, El Castor
[...]
I have one pole about seven feet tall -- with a suet cage for
woodpeckers. And on another pole -- a large hanging dish for bird
seeds. I have a stick under the suet cage that can be used for a
perch. I'm surprised how many birds love that suet.
Post by El Castor
I've told this story before, but just in case ... A few years ago the
wife and I pulled into a parking lot, got out of the car, and there
was this pathetic crow with a broken wing kind of trailing on the
ground as he hopped around. I was horrified, so I went into a
convenience store, bought a pastry, tore it in half, and tossed it to
the crow. He grabbed it and flew up on roof of the store where he
could dine in leisure. I later read that crows use the broken wing
trick to lure predators away from their nest, but this guy adapted it
for a different purpose. (-8
Good stories are worth hearing again. And that is a good story.
Crows are so smart ! You can't help but love them :-)
El Castor
2017-03-08 08:21:44 UTC
Post by El Castor
I've told this story before, but just in case ... A few years ago the
wife and I pulled into a parking lot, got out of the car, and there
was this pathetic crow with a broken wing kind of trailing on the
ground as he hopped around. I was horrified, so I went into a
convenience store, bought a pastry, tore it in half, and tossed it to
the crow. He grabbed it and flew up on roof of the store where he
could dine in leisure. I later read that crows use the broken wing
trick to lure predators away from their nest, but this guy adapted it
for a different purpose. (-8
Good stories are worth hearing again. And that is a good story.
Crows are so smart ! You can't help but love them :-)
Crows are special birds. I've seen a couple of examples of their
intelligence. Another repeat. (-8

A crow was put in a cage with a deep tube -- with food at the bottom.
He couldn't reach the food, but he had a wire. Tried to spear the food
with the wire. Wouldn't work -- didn't stick to the wire, so he bent
the end of the wire into a hook. That's called tool making.

A walnut tree grew near a busy street. Crows liked the nuts, but they
couldn't break the shell, so they dropped the nuts in a crosswalk.
Cars broke the shells, and the crows waited for the light to change
before they picked up the pieces.