Palm Corned Beef -- Great Food Discovery
2018-03-13 14:58:12 UTC
One of my favorite foods used to be Hereford Corned Beef. My wife used
to make sandwiches with it and send me off to work at the local steel
plant. That went on for about 20 years.

The really great thing about Hereford Corned Beef was not only didn't
it taste like dog food, but it was actually delicious. But then one
day, after I retired, that all changed and Hereford started tasting
like everyone else's stuff. So, I've been doing without for about 15
years.

Now, happy days are here again and I've discovered a delicious premium
corned beef to drool over once again:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Palm-Corned-Beef-with-Juices-11-5-oz/37620750

Contrary to popular opinion, life is not
just about sex and rock and roll. It's
actually about food, sex and rock and roll.
GLOBALIST
I will eat corned beef to be polite, but I never did like it.
mg
That's probably because most of it tastes like dog food.
GLOBALIST
I think you are right, but I do love cooked cabbage
mg
2018-03-14 05:15:08 UTC
On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:42:43 -0700 (PDT), GLOBALIST
[...]
My daughter not only loves cooked vegetables, she loves spicy,
fermented vegetables, too. I don't tell very many people that,
though, because I think it's kind of communistic.
El Castor
2018-03-14 06:03:15 UTC
[...]
Where do you think Mother Nature puts the vitamins? Bacon?

Lots of veggies, whole grains, fish, chicken (preferably white meat),
and red meat once a week. Eggs are OK, too.
b***@gmail.com
Yes, veggies are where it's at. I eat my wonton soup about 3 times a week with lots of veggies, carrots, onions, broccoli, napa cabbage, chinese snow peas, baby corn, squash, chicken, and sometimes mushrooms. I finally figured out how to make the broth. I found a package of wonton soup powder at an Asian market that you just add to hot water. It's pretty good but may not be as good as the restaurant variety. Next Sunday, I'm going to put the two recipes side by side and take a taste of one and then the other to determine which one is best. I may add a little ham bouillon to improve it, but adding spices is tricky since I usually add too much. But I will conquer the problem someday.
mg
2018-03-14 14:01:29 UTC
On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 23:03:15 -0700, El Castor
[...]
I actually don't mind most vegetables "blanched", but most everyone I
know cooks the shit out of them and then adds a ton of butter. I don't
really see the point, though, when you can demonstrate your patriotism
and prove that you're not a communist by simply buying a bottle of
vitamins.
El Castor
2018-03-15 00:10:46 UTC
[...]
The real thing (as in food) is the best way to go. (-8

I take B12 and D3 in pill form, but that's it for the usual vitamins.
I do dabble in some other supplements, but they aren't strictly
vitamins.

Here is something on the subject ...
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/supplements/art-20044894
mg
2018-03-15 02:52:34 UTC
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 17:10:46 -0700, El Castor
[...]
That's kind of a coincidence, I suppose. I also take B12 and D3 pills,
but then I also take a one a day for men in addition to that.
El Castor
2018-03-13 19:15:35 UTC
[...]
Uh, you can buy the real thing (actual meat, not the canned stuff) at
COSTCO, steam it for 3 hours, and voila, dinner and sandwiches as far
as the eye can see.

"Active Work Time:

15 minutes

Total Preparation Time:

3 hours

1 head cabbage

1 (3 1/2-pound) corned beef

1 bunch carrots, tops removed

* Remove outer leaves from cabbage and use to line steamer basket. Put
corned beef on top of leaves in basket and steam 2 1/2 hours.

* Cut cabbage into 6 wedges. Put cabbage and carrots on top of corned
beef in steamer basket, and steam until corned beef and cabbage are
fork tender, about 30 minutes.

6 servings. Each serving: 409 calories; 263 mg sodium; 93 mg
cholesterol; 26 grams fat; 16 grams carbohydrates; 28 grams protein;
1.96 grams fiber."
http://www.latimes.com/style/la-fo-steamed-s-story.html
mg
2018-03-14 05:37:20 UTC
On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 12:15:35 -0700, El Castor
[...]
Real Americans don't like rabbit food and they don't like cabbage and
broccoli and sauerkraut, or any of that kind of stuff. People who like
that sort of stuff are mostly communists, or fascists. :-)

I didn't know that you could buy corned beef at Costco, though. I'll
have to tell my daughter to pick some up sometime and see what it
tastes like.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-14 06:23:33 UTC
[...]
Costco sells the Hereford, which used to be good, but then
wasn't so I stopped buying it. There are two kinds of
corned beef. One is the Hereford type, almost spreadable,
and the other is a kind of tough meat, completely
different.
mg
2018-03-14 13:08:17 UTC
[...]
I think that what Jeff is talking about, though, is buying corned beef
in the meat department at Costco. That's an idea that I never actually
thought about.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-14 13:52:03 UTC
[...]
I didn't know they had corned beef at the Costco meat
department, but if they do I suppose it's the tough, chewy
kind. I don't usually buy meat from the fresh meat
department, because the packages are so big that you
pretty much have to run an orphanage to finish the
package in a reasonable time.
mg
2018-03-14 14:05:30 UTC
[...]
My daughter and I don't buy very much fresh meat, either, we found out
years ago that it usually just winds up taking up space in the freezer
for month after month waiting to be cooked.
b flanier
2018-03-14 14:21:01 UTC
...packages are so big that you
pretty much have to run an orphanage to finish the
package in a reasonable time.
Now, I don't know why the "run an orphanage" quip gave me a LOL. I'm
getting weirder in my old age, I guess. Perhaps It brought to mind
the little guy, cup in hand, saying, "Please, Sir, may I have some more?"

On the way South to Puerto Penasco, Mx., aka Rocky Point, one passes an
orphanage and I've always regretted not stopping there and donating
a 50 pound bag of rice purchased in the U.S. maybe I should put that
on my "bucket list".

But back to the food topic at hand, I'm thinking of making a one pot
pasta dish where all the ingredients including the pasta are placed
in the pot at once and it is ready in 8 -10 min.

The only problem is that the recipe is for 4-6 peeps and that would
mean eating that for about 6 months or so for Goodwife and myself.
Neither of us are what are known as "good mouths".

A "good mouth" is what my 350 pound Bulgarian friend calls someone
who can finish off two or three "orphanage sized" Costco packages of
food in one setting. He's a little weird but not little.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-14 14:53:58 UTC
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 07:21:01 -0700 (PDT), b flanier
Post by b flanier
...packages are so big that you
pretty much have to run an orphanage to finish the
package in a reasonable time.
Now, I don't know why the "run an orphanage" quip gave me a LOL. I'm
getting weirder in my old age, I guess. Perhaps It brought to mind
the little guy, cup in hand, saying, "Please, Sir, may I have some more?"
On the way South to Puerto Penasco, Mx., aka Rocky Point, one passes an
orphanage and I've always regretted not stopping there and donating
a 50 pound bag of rice purchased in the U.S. maybe I should put that
on my "bucket list".
But back to the food topic at hand, I'm thinking of making a one pot
pasta dish where all the ingredients including the pasta are placed
in the pot at once and it is ready in 8 -10 min.
I do things like that all the time. I call it "bachelor cooking".
I just finally finished off a crockpot of stuff I made largely just
to get rid of stuff that was hanging around. It was a bit
saltier than it should be, since I used both salt and MSG, but
other than that it was OK.

I had stuff hanging around because my son buys all kinds
of crazy stuff, artichoke hearts and mushrooms for example.
I also found some vegetables in a bottom drawer of the frij,
that said "Use by February 16" but he went home February 19.
They were not much more than two weeks past expiration
date, so I threw them into the crockpot too. I'll use the
mushrooms, but I guess the artichoke hearts will just rot,
because I'm certainly not going to eat them.
b flanier
2018-03-14 15:03:14 UTC
./.. I used both salt and MSG,
I thought MSG was not good for you? Isn't that what the Japanese use for
the 5th flavor called "umami"?
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-14 15:11:21 UTC
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 08:03:14 -0700 (PDT), b flanier
Post by b flanier
./.. I used both salt and MSG,
I thought MSG was not good for you?
That's just commie propaganda.
I always keep a big bag of MSG on hand.
Before I run out, I go to New Chinatown
to pick up another bag.
Post by b flanier
Isn't that what the Japanese use for
the 5th flavor called "umami"?
I didn't think so, but I checked and saw
that "umami" really is essentially MSG.
I didn't regard it as a "flavour" myself, I
regarded it as an enhancer of other
flavours. I regarded it as related to salt.
b***@gmail.com
2018-03-14 23:51:10 UTC
Post by b flanier
Isn't that what the Japanese use for
the 5th flavor called "umami"?
I didn't think so, but I checked and saw
that "umami" really is essentially MSG.
I didn't regard it as a "flavour" myself, I
regarded it as an enhancer of other
flavours. I regarded it as related to salt.
MSG is bad for your blood pressure.

"MSG contains a lot of sodium, so eating large amounts of food with MSG is not recommended. Sodium can have harmful effects on your blood pressure, and these effects can be worse if you have diabetes. If you're concerned about your blood pressure because of diabetes, try to limit foods with MSG or avoid them completely."

But I imagine wonton soup has lots of salt and MSG so I eat a lot of it and don't worry about the BP which is only 120 on a sunny day.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-15 01:59:57 UTC
Post by b flanier
Isn't that what the Japanese use for
the 5th flavor called "umami"?
I didn't think so, but I checked and saw
that "umami" really is essentially MSG.
I didn't regard it as a "flavour" myself, I
regarded it as an enhancer of other
flavours. I regarded it as related to salt.
MSG is bad for your blood pressure.
"MSG contains a lot of sodium, so eating large amounts of food with MSG is not recommended. Sodium can have harmful effects on your blood pressure, and these effects can be worse if you have diabetes. If you're concerned about your blood pressure because of diabetes, try to limit foods with MSG or avoid them completely."
I don't have a blood pressure problem.

Doctors are no fun at all, and they'd recommend that we
eat nothing but Brussels sprouts and worms. I seem to
recall that Martin Luther had a diet of worms, and he was
very religious, or so I've been told.
Post by b***@gmail.com
But I imagine wonton soup has lots of salt and MSG so I eat a lot of it and don't worry about the BP which is only 120 on a sunny day.
My systolic used to be 140, but now it's down to 120.
Maybe it was the heart valve TAVR operation: I don't
know.
b***@gmail.com
A couple of my blood tests were out of tolerance indicating liver problems. So, the doc told me to quit drinking and come back in 6 weeks for another test. Doing some research, I found that reducing ALT levels could be done in just 10 days. So I waited until the last 10 days and quit drinking for 10 days. Sure enough, the lab report came back with a 50% reduction of ALT levels from 96 down to 43. Now that doctor knew I could get back to normal in just a few days but he wants me to quit drinking forever. I was drinking a cup of coffee in the office and he wanted to know how much coffee I drank, and I told him it was just one cup a day. I suppose if I had said 2 cups, he would have advised me to just drink one cup or no coffee at all.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-15 16:40:54 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Doctors always want you to quit drinking alcohol and coffee,
and eat nothing but Brussels sprouts and worms instead,
washed down with only water.

On my preliminary survey there were three questions, about
smoking, drinking, and drugs. I answered "no" to 1 and 3, but
"yes" to 2, and they bugged me about that. I don't drink
much but I like a bit of whiskey in my hot chocolate, and
although I pay attention to doctors, I don't want them running
my life completely.

I'd never heard of "ALT levels" so I had to look it up. My
liver seems OK, but my kidneys are a bit weak. I'm on some
kind of pee medication that makes me pee a lot. I usually
have to get up during the night to go pee. I have a pee
bottle, but it has a lid that only microscopically closes the
bottle and the slightest jar will pop it open even if you
managed to close it in the first place, so I avoid using it.
Apparently all pee bottles are like that, which is yet another
indication that there's a high level of Sadism in the
medical profession, along with those humiliation gowns
they make you wear in the hospital which IMV are
evidence that the medical profession deliberately tries to
intimidate people so as to make them easier to handle.
It's not by any means the only evidence of that, but it is
one piece.
b***@gmail.com
I was never humiliated by the gowns and I wore one for 15 days when I had cancer surgery. I got bored laying in bed and would unplug the cart of instruments hooked up to me and go for a walk around the hospital floor. I visited some other people in other rooms just to say hello and shoot the shit. But I never tied the gown and just let my ass hang out and some nurse would run out and tie the stupid thing behind my back. When I went in for the colonoscopy I put the gown on backwards so all they had to do was look in my front side.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-16 12:07:42 UTC
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 01:40:08 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com
wrote:

<snip>
Post by b***@gmail.com
I was never humiliated by the gowns and I wore one for 15 days when I had cancer surgery. I got bored laying in bed and would unplug the cart of instruments hooked up to me and go for a walk around the hospital floor. I visited some other people in other rooms just to say hello and shoot the shit. But I never tied the gown and just let my ass hang out and some nurse would run out and tie the stupid thing behind my back. When I went in for the colonoscopy I put the gown on backwards so all they had to do was look in my front side.
I congratulate you on acting exactly as you should in response
to the silliness of those gowns. Actually I don't think it's
silliness so much as the realization, or perhaps natural selection
without realization, that the more you humiliate most patients,
the more intimidated and compliant they're likely to be. I used
to go to nude beaches a lot when I was younger, and though
my ass is not now what it used to be, I won't be em-bare-assed
but will rejoice at turning the tables on that strategy of hospitals
to intimidate patients.

rumpelstiltskin
2018-03-13 15:57:27 UTC
One of my favorite foods used to be Hereford Corned Beef. My wife used
to make sandwiches with it and send me off to work at the local steel
plant. That went on for about 20 years.
The really great thing about Hereford Corned Beef was not only didn't
it taste like dog food, but it was actually delicious. But then one
day, after I retired, that all changed and Hereford started tasting
like everyone else's stuff. So, I've been doing without for about 15
years.
I used to buy corned beef from Costco a lot, because it tasted
good. I don't remember what the brand was then, but it may
not have been Hereford. The corned beef became not so good
at the same time as the can changed, as I recall. The colours
on the can were the same, but the design was slightly
different.

I may look out for the new "Palm corned beef at Costco",
but it's been so long now since Corned Beef was in my
repertoire that I no longer miss it. The "with juices" part makes
me wary, since the corned beef I used to like wasn't oozy at all.
Post by mg
Now, happy days are here again and I've discovered a delicious premium
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Palm-Corned-Beef-with-Juices-11-5-oz/37620750
I kind of wish there were a Walmart in San Francisco, but I
do sympathize with the contention that Walmart is not PC
enough for San Francisco. Palm Corned Beef is slightly
more expensive by mail order from Amazon than from
Walmart.
mg
2018-03-13 16:14:28 UTC
One of my favorite foods used to be Hereford Corned Beef. My wife used
to make sandwiches with it and send me off to work at the local steel
plant. That went on for about 20 years.
The really great thing about Hereford Corned Beef was not only didn't
it taste like dog food, but it was actually delicious. But then one
day, after I retired, that all changed and Hereford started tasting
like everyone else's stuff. So, I've been doing without for about 15
years.
I used to buy corned beef from Costco a lot, because it tasted
good. I don't remember what the brand was then, but it may
not have been Hereford. The corned beef became not so good
at the same time as the can changed, as I recall. The colours
on the can were the same, but the design was slightly
different.
That's exactly, precisely what happened with Hereford, the can changed
and the new stuff tasted absolutely awful. I told my daughter to look
for the Palm brand at Costco. If she finds it there, or if she finds
another premium brand, I'll let you know.
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I may look out for the new "Palm corned beef at Costco",
but it's been so long now since Corned Beef was in my
repertoire
Since I tend to be really fussy about food and because I'm always
looking for something that's easy to fix, I'm always trying to expand
my repertoire, but I'm not very often successful.
Post by rumpelstiltskin
that I no longer miss it. The "with juices" part makes
me wary, since the corned beef I used to like wasn't oozy at all.
It is more juicy than Hereford used to be and as soon as my daughter
opened the can, she said, "Oh, oh you're not going to like this". Then
I took a look at it and told her that she was probably right, but then
surprise, surprise, it was absolutely delicious and I made a sandwich
out of it on the spot.