New planets raise old religious questions
2017-03-07 12:47:51 UTC
New planets raise old religious questions

For millennia, people have gazed into the night sky and wondered, "Are we
alone?"

Now the discovery of seven Earth-size planets orbiting a nearby dwarf star,
Trappist-1, has brought us not just a step, but a leap closer to answering that
question, according to the scientists who announced it in a Feb. 22 news
conference recorded by NASA.

"The discovery gives us a hint that finding a second Earth is not just a matter
of 'if' but 'when,'" said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the
Science Mission Directorate at NASA.

It's the first time so many Earth-size planets have been found around one star;
three of them, within the so-called "habitable" or "Goldilocks" zone where
liquid water could form on the surface and support life, according to NASA.

Proof of extraterrestrial life on one of any of the planets orbiting Trappist-1
would answer the big question of whether we are alone in the universe. But it
also would raise many more — some, with theological implications.

continued --

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5020644-155/new-planets-raise-old-religious-questions
w***@gmail.com
2017-03-07 13:24:49 UTC
Ar there any politicians there too?
Gary
2017-03-07 13:35:47 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Ar there any politicians there too?
Hopefully not. Just monarchs and emperors.

I've always wondered why America ceased manned space exploration after landing
on the moon. Back then, all the talk was that the moon was just the first
step. Next would be Venus. Then outer space. But when man returned from the
moon -- all that talk ceased. I wonder ..... what did the scientist see or
hear while on the moon to dampen their desire to go further ?
wolfbat359
2017-03-07 14:05:35 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Ar there any politicians there too?
Hopefully not. Just monarchs and emperors.
You should be glad you did not live under Caligula!!!
GLOBALIST
2017-03-07 13:45:13 UTC
[...]
"Old questions" but old questions
dealt with before. God created the universe.
We have no idea if there is life on these planets.
2017-03-07 14:00:04 UTC
God created the universe.
Yeah and the Tooth Fairy. unicorns, leprechauns and Santa exist. The
universe is a living entity that has always existed, only the form has
changed. This is irrefutable science and only low IQ high school drop
outs who have been brainwashed by a Christian church believe that crap
over science.
Gary
2017-03-07 14:22:31 UTC
Post by Z
Post by GLOBALIST
God created the universe.
Yeah and the Tooth Fairy. unicorns, leprechauns and Santa exist. The
universe is a living entity that has always existed, only the form has
changed. This is irrefutable science and only low IQ high school drop
outs who have been brainwashed by a Christian church believe that crap
over science.
In other words, scientific bullshit is your religion and their spokesmen are
your prophets. And when they tell you man was on earth 200,000 years ago --
you accept it as gospel.
2017-03-07 14:38:48 UTC
Post by Z
Post by GLOBALIST
God created the universe.
Yeah and the Tooth Fairy. unicorns, leprechauns and Santa exist.
The universe is a living entity that has always existed, only the
form has changed. This is irrefutable science and only low IQ high
school drop outs who have been brainwashed by a Christian church
believe that crap over science.
In other words, scientific bullshit is your religion and their
spokesmen are your prophets. And when they tell you man was on
earth 200,000 years ago -- you accept it as gospel.
Another low IQ uneducated fool that doesn't know that science has to be
proven before it changes from a theorem to an axiom. Buddhism propounded
all this a thousand years before Jesus was a gleam in your make believe
god's eye and all science has done over the ages is prove Buddhism to be
true and ALL the other religions FALSE. Deal with it if you can get your
brain to leave the stereotypes and cliches that hold it prisoner.
Gary
2017-03-07 22:11:32 UTC
Post by Z
Post by Gary
Post by Z
Post by GLOBALIST
[...]
I don't know much about the Buddhists. But I have nothing against
them. I have long been intrigued with the idea of reincarnation.
After all -- coming back -- might not be so bad :-)
2017-03-07 22:46:32 UTC
Post by Z
Post by Gary
Post by Z
Post by GLOBALIST
[...]
With the cause you've made, don't expect positive effects in this or any
future lifetime.
Gary
2017-03-08 15:57:28 UTC
Post by Z
Post by Gary
Post by Z
Post by Gary
Post by Z
Post by GLOBALIST
[...]
I figure the life of the soul is an upward journey. From life to
life. And (intellectually speaking) the only "up" I can see for me
is -- to be born a Rockefeller. Or a prince of the British realm.
Then .... I can put some of my theories to work for mankind :-)
2017-03-08 16:01:55 UTC
Post by Z
With the cause you've made, don't expect positive effects in this
or any future lifetime.
I figure the life of the soul is an upward journey. From life to
life. And (intellectually speaking) the only "up" I can see for
me is -- to be born a Rockefeller. Or a prince of the British realm.
Then .... I can put some of my theories to work for mankind :-)
You are much more likely to be reborn as a girl in Somalia. Karma's a
bitch.

Lawrence Akutagawa
2017-03-07 20:20:59 UTC
[...]

***** This line separates my response from the foregoing ******

ah yes...the Village Idiot yet again entertains us with his miserably
miserable English!

Exactly what is your sorry reason, Village Idiot, to still be in this
country with your clearly miserably miserable English?

ah yes...the Village Idiot yet again entertains us (of course with "mutual
agreement") with another of his Intellectual Coward ploys to run away from
his miserably miserable English once again, of course with his tail boldly
held between his legs, back into that deep dark disreputable hole of his
under his rock!
billbowden
2017-03-08 03:44:24 UTC
New planets raise old religious questions
For millennia, people have gazed into the night sky and wondered, "Are we
alone?"
Now the discovery of seven Earth-size planets orbiting a nearby dwarf star,
Trappist-1, has brought us not just a step, but a leap closer to answering that
question, according to the scientists who announced it in a Feb. 22 news
conference recorded by NASA.
"The discovery gives us a hint that finding a second Earth is not just a matter
of 'if' but 'when,'" said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the
Science Mission Directorate at NASA.
"Old questions" but old questions
dealt with before. God created the universe.
We have no idea if there is life on these planets.
If God created the universe at some infinite point in the past, what was God
doing before he created the universe? Did he just get bored 13 billion years
ago and decided to create a universe?
mg
2017-03-07 14:35:31 UTC
[...]
Mormons like to say:

“As man now is, God once was:
As God now is, man may be.”

So, in other words, righteous Mormons, like Brigham Young and Joseph
Smith, for example, according to the Mormons, might be the gods of
the people on those planets, and many others, assuming of course,
that they are populated by people.