Pat Caddell, Democrat Operative, Unloads on His Own Party
Sordo
2004-09-15 01:01:16 UTC
Pat Caddell Unloads on His Own Party
September 14, 2004

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Fox News Channel yesterday, Pat Caddell, loaded for bear. He was
on Dayside with Linda Vester, and she said, (paraphrasing) "John
Kerry, in an interview just out in TIME Magazine, talking about what's
going on in this campaign, the question is people's views of the
strength of your leadership have declined in the past few weeks. Is
this in part because you're slow in responding to the swift boat ads?
Do you think you should have been more aggressive? And Kerry says no,
I think we did absolutely fine, I think we're doing absolutely fine.
What do you say to that, Pat Caddell?"

CADDELL: People in America are not stupid. They know that he's had a
bad month. What is it about politicians that they can't simply be
honest with people and say, "It's a tough process, we made some
mistakes. But I'm going to be fighting every day, and the big day that
matters is Election Day, and I'm going to prove myself." No, to say
something honest is somehow contaminated, apparently, and whatever the
world that Washington has become. I think the problem is, first of
all, I don't think the campaign has a definition. It didn't have one
in Boston. You know, the reason we had the problem with the swift
boats is not because George Bush rounded up the swift boat veterans,
it's because the Democratic campaigners decided they would make John
Kerry's campaign about Vietnam. And when you take that scab off, the
natural result was going to be to bring people out who have very
strong feelings. Nobody in history has ever run for president as a
hero. You become a hero because people know you're a hero. You don't
run around and say you're a hero.

RUSH: Limbaugh Echo Syndrome! Limbaugh Echo Syndrome, two examples on
parade there. It was Kerry who brought up Vietnam. It wasn't Bush that
rounded up the swift boat guys. Which came first? What came first is
Kerry's convention and going on and on and on about his medals, and
his service and all this stuff and the swift boat stuff. And then how
many times have I told you, the thing that's always struck me about
John Kerry is he has to explain why he's great or why he's good. It
doesn't speak for itself when you see John Kerry. He doesn't stand
out, he doesn't tower over people in a characteristic sense, he does
of course physically in a Lurch sort of way. But he's out there
running as a hero, and he's not a hero, he's not perceived as a hero.
He's trying to make people think he is a hero. You become a hero
because people know you're a hero. You don't run around and say you're
a hero and have people believe it. Greatness does not have to be
explained, and these constant references to his service in Vietnam is
precisely what Caddell means when he says, "You don't run around and
say you're a hero, people know you are or you aren't." And he gets
even more strident in the next couple bites.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Let's go back to Pat Caddell. Let's not lose track of where we
were here. Pat Caddell was on Linda Vester's Fox show yesterday
afternoon, the second of three bites that we have here. She said
(paraphrasing), "Something else that's interesting is that right now
John Kerry travels with the national news media, they trail him, and
you record everything he does but he hasn't talked to them, he's not
talked to them, given them an interview in 34 days, why is that?"

CADDELL: Because there's an arrogance. First of all, we have some of
what I would call, look, as a Democrat, we have some what I call
political crypto-gangsters who have taken over the heart and soul of
the Democratic Party in Washington, and their job is hold onto power
and hold onto money. And these are people advising a good man. And
I've known John Kerry for many years, for him not to talk to the press
is a mistake. He isn't the president. He's the challenger. But you
know what, I'll tell you what they are counting on, which I find
ridiculous, they're counting on things like what's going on at CBS
this morning with those documents, which is just unbelievable. Why
does the Democratic Party want to get into the issue of the National
Guard? National Guard leads to swift boats. And that is the last issue
in the world that John Kerry needs to be --

RUSH: The Democratic Party has been taken over by what he calls
political crypto-gangsters who have taken over the heart -- he's
right. Now, this was the guy, this was Jimmy Carter's (Watch the
Malaise Speech) pollster. Pat Caddell, and he's been involved with
some other prominent liberal Democrats. He's no shrinking violet as a
liberal Democrat. But he's right, Limbaugh Echo Syndrome here again,
there's an arrogance in the Kerry camp and did you notice, he said,
they were counting on the document thing at CBS to carry the day.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: One more Caddell bite, and he opens fire here on the
crypto-gangster Terry McAuliffe.

CADDELL: Let me tell you, when you have your national chairman, Terry
McAuliffe, who put in a hundred thousand dollars into Global Crossing
and walked off with $18 million as your national chairman, it tells
you the moral and the integrity level my party has been reduced to at
the DNC. You're going to have Terry McAuliffe going out as he did the
other day calling the president of the United States a liar? What is
wrong with these people? I don't care whether the people agree or
disagree with the president, they do not like political hacks going
around calling the President of the United States a liar. Whether he's
a Democrat or Republican. We should be talking about vision, we should
be arguing what we're going to do to change the country, and I'm
fearful, I've been saying this for months, I'm afraid the same people
are taking this party down to defeat in 2002 and 2000 are taking it
right down to defeat again. It's hand in hand with some of the
national media. Look at NBC today. They put on Kitty Kelley. Why don't
they just put on the National Enquirer? They put her on for three
straight days. (Laughing) For three straight days, do you know I went
back and checked because I read, I couldn't believe this, too, do you
know that O'Neill and the swift boat people has never been on the
Today Show?

RUSH: Yeah, we all know that, that's the point. We exactly all know
that. Kitty Kelley is not making any news of the kind she hoped and
dreamed of, nor of the kind the mainstream press hoped and dreamed of,
and because we've got the sound bites -- because of this whole forged
document business, CBS, Matt Lauer is creaming her. You know, NBC,
there was talk last week, NBC -- (talking to program observer) I know,
Caddell does sound a lot like me, doesn't he? I mean, not voice
quality, of course, but in some things, what he says about McAuliffe,
yeah. I thought this for the longest time.

At any rate, last week, everybody the asking, "Okay, does NBC go ahead
with this?" Given what's happened here with these forged documents,
can NBC run the risk of putting Kitty Kelley on? Well, they couldn't
very well, I think, cancel here. She was suing people if they canceled
interviews with her. So they contracted for three days on the Today
Show and they turned -- I don't know if Katie Couric was originally
going to do this or not. They turned over Matt Lauer and he's firing
both barrels at her. I mean, saying things like, "You know, this is
strange, Ms. Kelley, but it's a long book. You haven't found one nice
thing to say about this family? I mean is there not one decent thing
you can say about these people?"

[Kelley answers] "No, everybody thinks they're the Donna Reed Show but
it's more like The Sopranos."

None of it's real, none of it's believable. This Kitty Kelley book is
no more than the next installment of this entire bash-Bush year that
has been coordinated somehow, somewhere, at least as far as timing and
perhaps in even more ways. But, at any rate, Caddell is right.

END TRANSCRIPT
Bob
2004-09-15 02:21:44 UTC