US Treasure Dept. does not answer phone calls.
Bill Bowden
2017-10-12 00:02:48 UTC
Recently, I tried calling the Dept of Treasury about an outstanding debt to
the VA and was on hold for an hour and fifteen minutes. The guy I finally
talked to said they had recently uploaded another 6000 cases and so quite a
few of the 6000 were calling in. I didn't ask about how many phone
representives they had on duty, but probably not many. So, I tried another
number to make the payment and was informed that all representatives were
busy and I should call back later. I tried several times and got the same
response and they always hung up. I visited the recommended website
(www.fiscal,treasury,gov/TOP) and obtained another 2 phone numbers. I
thought I struck gold but both phone numbers gave the same response. We
don't answer phone calls.

All I want to do is make a 90 day late payment to the US treasury so they
don't reduce my SS benefits to satisfy a $123 debt to the VA. Big deal, they
want $123 . I don't care if the money comes out of my SS benefits or I pay
cash, but I want to avoid the extra charges of doing the transaction. I went
through this about 10 years ago and they charged me $17 for every
transaction. It's probably $25 today from inflation. But nobody knows what
it is and they get confused about fees and extra charges when asked about
it.

Moral of the story: We don't answer phones and you pay $25 for any
transaction. Now go away.
rumpelstiltskin
Ain't bureaucracy a joy to deal with?
El Castor
Maybe a sample of what awaits us with single payer?
rumpelstiltskin
2017-10-12 19:45:22 UTC
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:52:24 -0700, El Castor
Post by Bill Bowden
[...]
Single payer will be a bureaucracy for sure, but maybe
enough of a general bureaucracy that the gummt will
HAVE to make it easier to negotiate, as it has done with
Medicare.

Or at least I think that's what the gummt has done
with Medicare. I've never myself had any problem with
Medicare. I just say to the gummt "Give it all to Kaiser",
which the gummt does, and then Kaiser has always
taken care of me at very little additional cost and no
hassle at all to myself.
GLOBALIST
2017-10-12 21:04:24 UTC
Post by Bill Bowden
[...]
Often a tax preparer will have a number to call that will answer
the questions that you have.