Florence Is Beginning To Scare Me !
2018-09-12 16:42:49 UTC
Florence Is Beginning To Scare Me !

Hurricane Florence is heading for North and South Carolina. With extremely heavy
rainfall expected for NC, SC, Ga and maybe Al. Due to hit shore Friday morning.

It will not hit Georgia directly -- but it is going to head south after making landing --
dropping several inches of rain and possibly doing wind damage. The hurricane that hit
Georgia last year -- knocked our power out and we had to stay in a motel for four nights.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charleston-sc/29401/weather-forecast/330678
me
2018-09-12 17:20:07 UTC

I wish you, and all the affected, luck.
Gary
2018-09-12 18:05:45 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:20:07 -0700 (PDT), me <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 12:42:49 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Florence Is Beginning To Scare Me !
>>
>> Hurricane Florence is heading for North and South Carolina. With extremely heavy
>> rainfall expected for NC, SC, Ga and maybe Al. Due to hit shore Friday morning.
>>
>> It will not hit Georgia directly -- but it is going to head south after making landing --
>> dropping several inches of rain and possibly doing wind damage. The hurricane that hit
>> Georgia last year -- knocked our power out and we had to stay in a motel for four nights.
>>
>> https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charleston-sc/29401/weather-forecast/330678
>

>I wish you, and all the affected, luck.

Thanks for the thought. I'm just hoping our power doesn't get knocked out.
Those motel visits were fun when a few years ago. But at my age --- they are just a
hassle :-)
mg
2018-09-12 19:52:01 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:05:45 -0400, Gary < ***@ucn.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:20:07 -0700 (PDT), me <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 12:42:49 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>>> Florence Is Beginning To Scare Me !
>>>
>>> Hurricane Florence is heading for North and South Carolina. With extremely heavy
>>> rainfall expected for NC, SC, Ga and maybe Al. Due to hit shore Friday morning.
>>>
>>> It will not hit Georgia directly -- but it is going to head south after making landing --
>>> dropping several inches of rain and possibly doing wind damage. The hurricane that hit
>>> Georgia last year -- knocked our power out and we had to stay in a motel for four nights.
>>>
>>> https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charleston-sc/29401/weather-forecast/330678
>>

>>I wish you, and all the affected, luck.
>
>Thanks for the thought. I'm just hoping our power doesn't get knocked out.
>Those motel visits were fun when a few years ago. But at my age --- they are just a
>hassle :-)

I've noticed over the years that Harbor Freightreight sells Chinese
electric generators and, come to think of it, I think Costco does too.
They definitely wouldn't be anywhere near big enough to provide power
for an
entire house, though. So, all things considered, I suppose a motel
would be your best option.

Home Depot sells backup generators large enough to power an entire
house. I think they cost about $3,000.00 and connect to your natural
gas line.
El Castor
2018-09-12 18:27:16 UTC

Hang in there Gary. Good luck.
Gary
2018-09-12 18:56:12 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 11:27:16 -0700, El Castor <***@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:42:49 -0400, Gary < ***@ucn.com> wrote:
>
>>Florence Is Beginning To Scare Me !
>>
>>Hurricane Florence is heading for North and South Carolina. With extremely heavy
>>rainfall expected for NC, SC, Ga and maybe Al. Due to hit shore Friday morning.
>>
>>It will not hit Georgia directly -- but it is going to head south after making landing --
>>dropping several inches of rain and possibly doing wind damage. The hurricane that hit
>>Georgia last year -- knocked our power out and we had to stay in a motel for four nights.
>>
>>https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charleston-sc/29401/weather-forecast/330678
>
>Hang in there Gary. Good luck.

Thanks. Days like this, I wish I lived on the West Coast. I don't think y'all have
to worry about these super storms (almost) every year.
islander
2018-09-12 19:18:25 UTC
On 9/12/2018 11:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 11:27:16 -0700, El Castor <***@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:42:49 -0400, Gary < ***@ucn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Florence Is Beginning To Scare Me !
>>>
>>> Hurricane Florence is heading for North and South Carolina. With extremely heavy
>>> rainfall expected for NC, SC, Ga and maybe Al. Due to hit shore Friday morning.
>>>
>>> It will not hit Georgia directly -- but it is going to head south after making landing --
>>> dropping several inches of rain and possibly doing wind damage. The hurricane that hit
>>> Georgia last year -- knocked our power out and we had to stay in a motel for four nights.
>>>
>>> https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charleston-sc/29401/weather-forecast/330678
>>
>> Hang in there Gary. Good luck.
>
> Thanks. Days like this, I wish I lived on the West Coast. I don't think y'all have
> to worry about these super storms (almost) every year.

Hurricane force winds are defined as sustained winds of over 74 mph.
When they did the engineering for my house, the requirement was for 80
mph because it is not unusual for us to get hurricane force winds here
during the winter storms. I erred on the side of building for 100 mph
winds and I am glad that I did. We have a long reach up the Rosario
Strait and I have measured gusts of up to 100 mph during winter storms.
Personally, I enjoy the winter storms. I sit here dry and safe while
the storms rage outside with the surf crashing against the rocks below.
The salt spray plays havoc with exterior hardware, but otherwise I've
had no damage in 20 years other than trees and branches falling around us.

Otherwise, the west coast suffers from other problems. What with
earthquakes, fires, mud slides, etc., you really have to want to live on
the west coast. You would probably not like it here.
Dan C
2018-09-12 21:06:31 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:18:25 -0700, islander wrote:

> On 9/12/2018 11:56 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 11:27:16 -0700, El Castor
>> <***@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>> Hang in there Gary. Good luck.
>>
>> Thanks. Days like this, I wish I lived on the West Coast. I don't
>> think y'all have to worry about these super storms (almost) every year.
>>
> Hurricane force winds are defined as sustained winds of over 74 mph.
> When they did the engineering for my house, the requirement was for 80
> mph because it is not unusual for us to get hurricane force winds here
> during the winter storms. I erred on the side of building for 100 mph
> winds and I am glad that I did. We have a long reach up the Rosario
> Strait and I have measured gusts of up to 100 mph during winter storms.
> Personally, I enjoy the winter storms. I sit here dry and safe while
> the storms rage outside with the surf crashing against the rocks below.
> The salt spray plays havoc with exterior hardware, but otherwise I've
> had no damage in 20 years other than trees and branches falling around
> us.
>
> Otherwise, the west coast suffers from other problems. What with
> earthquakes, fires, mud slides, etc., you really have to want to live on
> the west coast. You would probably not like it here.

You also have to be a raging fucking libtard.

Fuck that. Hopefully the Big One arrives soon.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he descended down into Shayol Ghul.
2018-09-12 22:56:29 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:18:25 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:

>On 9/12/2018 11:56 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> Hang in there Gary. Good luck.
>>
>> Thanks. Days like this, I wish I lived on the West Coast. I don't think y'all have
>> to worry about these super storms (almost) every year.
>>
>Hurricane force winds are defined as sustained winds of over 74 mph.
>When they did the engineering for my house, the requirement was for 80
>mph because it is not unusual for us to get hurricane force winds here
>during the winter storms. I erred on the side of building for 100 mph
>winds and I am glad that I did. We have a long reach up the Rosario
>Strait and I have measured gusts of up to 100 mph during winter storms.
>Personally, I enjoy the winter storms. I sit here dry and safe while
>the storms rage outside with the surf crashing against the rocks below.
>The salt spray plays havoc with exterior hardware, but otherwise I've
>had no damage in 20 years other than trees and branches falling around us.
>
>Otherwise, the west coast suffers from other problems. What with
>earthquakes, fires, mud slides, etc., you really have to want to live on
>the west coast. You would probably not like it here.

Here in Georgia, I've never experienced the force of beng hit with a full hurricane.
But when one does make land in Florida or the Carolinas, we experience a lot of wind
and rain. The worst that happens is -- the wind breaks limbs off trees -- which fall on
power lines and cause a lot of problems like that. On days like that -- I tend to wish
the government would require the cutting of all trees that overhang a powerline. That's
the only time I wish that. I love all that wildlife :-)
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-12 23:02:36 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:18:25 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:

>On 9/12/2018 11:56 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> Hang in there Gary. Good luck.
>>
>> Thanks. Days like this, I wish I lived on the West Coast. I don't think y'all have
>> to worry about these super storms (almost) every year.
>>
>Hurricane force winds are defined as sustained winds of over 74 mph.
>When they did the engineering for my house, the requirement was for 80
>mph because it is not unusual for us to get hurricane force winds here
>during the winter storms. I erred on the side of building for 100 mph
>winds and I am glad that I did. We have a long reach up the Rosario
>Strait and I have measured gusts of up to 100 mph during winter storms.
>Personally, I enjoy the winter storms. I sit here dry and safe while
>the storms rage outside with the surf crashing against the rocks below.
>The salt spray plays havoc with exterior hardware, but otherwise I've
>had no damage in 20 years other than trees and branches falling around us.
>
>Otherwise, the west coast suffers from other problems. What with
>earthquakes, fires, mud slides, etc., you really have to want to live on
>the west coast. You would probably not like it here.

In 1954 (I think that's the right year), I had only
been in the USA two or three years, living two blocks
uphill from an inlet of the ocean, when we had
Hurricane Carol. The houses right next to the ocean
were almost completely destroyed. That was nothing
compared to the unnamed 1938 hurricane though.
I've seen picture books of the destruction caused by
that hurricane. Nobody knew that it was coming,
since there were no prediction mechanisms in those
days.

https://tinyurl.com/y7d3lnv9