Sounds like an interesting new book
2018-05-11 13:14:48 UTC
Clint Watts was on Morning Joe this morning to promote his new book,
*Messing with the Enemy: Surviving in a Social Media World of Hackers,
Terrorists, Russians, and Fake News* to be released later this month.
I've seen Watts speak before about cyber security and he seems pretty
knowledgeable, so I think I'll order the book.

The book seems to be an analysis of how natural divisions in America are
exploited to seed increased political discord. Are we our own worst
enemies? Can we or should we do anything about it?
me
2018-05-11 14:36:31 UTC
Can’t do much about human nature. Sometimes you can buy allegiance, cooperation and compromise. But with economic stresses and limited resources this is becoming difficult. Other forms of conflict resolution must be used - hacking, regime change, economic sanctions, regulation, force ...
El Castor
2018-05-11 19:27:17 UTC
Clint Watts was on Morning Joe this morning to promote his new book,
*Messing with the Enemy: Surviving in a Social Media World of Hackers,
Terrorists, Russians, and Fake News* to be released later this month.
I've seen Watts speak before about cyber security and he seems pretty
knowledgeable, so I think I'll order the book.
The book seems to be an analysis of how natural divisions in America are
exploited to seed increased political discord. Are we our own worst
enemies? Can we or should we do anything about it?
We have to be very careful with seemingl;y well intentioned laws that
seek to regulate free speech. Remember the Fairness Doctrine? Some
believe (and I am one of them) that the true purpose of the Doctrine
was the elimination of right wing talk radio. As for Clint Watts, does
he have some ulterior motive? I wouldn't know, but after perusing
Wikipedia, he seems to be very anti-Trump, and I expect his book will
rflect that view -- so just another hate and impeach Trump diatribe?
islander
2018-05-11 22:37:21 UTC
[...]
I have no idea. I haven't read the book yet. Perhaps it is just an
opinion about a vulnerability in our political campaigns. Do you have a
problem with that? Otherwise, there is little regulation of political
advertising. Personally, I would be in favor of identifying the source
of anything political and by that I don't mean simply hiding behind
corporate shells.

If a foreign power is intentionally attempting to sow political discord
in this country, that goes well beyond free speech. Are you OK with that?
El Castor
2018-05-12 01:02:53 UTC
[...]
Of course I am not OK with that. Why didn't Obama do something about
it? It happened on his watch. And why on Earth would the DNC employ a
Pakistani national, Imran Awan, to manage their computer networks
during the presidential campaign? Yikes!
islander
Pivot alert!
El Castor
2018-05-15 17:26:02 UTC
[...]
Getting back to my first question ... Why didn't Obama do something
about it? It happened on his watch.
islander
2018-05-16 00:49:15 UTC
[...]
It is still happening! But I'll follow your pivot. Here is a good
review of what was happening in the lead-up to the 2016 election:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/21/what-obama-did-didnt-do-and-couldnt-do-in-response-to-russian-interference/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.38bdfb23e75c

What would you have done in Obama's situation?