Good Social Security Advice, Still Applicable Today
2018-06-13 12:30:42 UTC
People like saving for their own retirement; saving for other people's
retirement: not so much.

---------------

"Don’t let politicians turn Social Security into welfare

By Seattle Times staff, May 5, 2005

Man has invented no better way of sinking a government program than
turning it into welfare. Hang the welfare sign around its neck, and a
program soon finds itself sleeping with the fishes. The Marianas
Trench is not too deep a resting place.

President Bush proposes just that for Social Security. He would slash
benefits for upper- and middle-income people, but preserve them for
the poorest 30 percent. Call it Social Security, if you wish, but
welfare is its name. . . .

Under the president’s new proposal, workers earning over $36,500 in
today’s dollars see massive cuts in Social Security benefits. What
would follow is easy to predict: Most workers stop regarding Social
Security as an essential source of their retirement income. They start
resenting their Social Security payroll taxes more than they already
do. Some accuse the low-income beneficiaries of not having worked as
hard as they did, or failing to save for retirement. In the end, broad
support for the Social Security system crumbles, and Congress finds
excuses for throwing it overboard. . . .

Social Security does have some progressive elements. It replaces a
bigger percentage of pre-retirement earnings for low-income people
than for the well-to-do.

For the record, today’s Social Security is not welfare. It is the
least welfare-like of any government program. The workers pay for it
entirely themselves, out of their payroll taxes. Unlike farm supports
and Medicare, not a penny comes from the Treasury.

If political leaders want to turn Social Security into welfare, they
should do so honestly. First, they should abolish the Social Security
payroll tax. Let the government fund it out of general revenues.
Payroll taxes take money that workers sweat for. General revenues come
from a wider variety of sources — the more-progressive income tax;
levies on corporate profits; taxes on investment income.
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/dont-let-politicians-turn-social-security-into-welfare/
me
2018-06-13 14:13:35 UTC
A crock of shit. What welfare program has ‘seen the fishes’?
https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/CRS%20Report%20-%20Welfare%20Spending%20The%20Largest%20Item%20In%20The%20Federal%20Budget.pdf
mg
2018-06-13 16:24:26 UTC
A crock of shit. What welfare program has ‘seen the fishes’?
https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/CRS%20Report%20-%20Welfare%20Spending%20The%20Largest%20Item%20In%20The%20Federal%20Budget.pdf
"August 22, 1996: Bill Clinton Ends Welfare As We Know It

On this day in 1996, President Bill Clinton signed the Personal
Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act, the euphemistically labeled
“welfare reform,” which significantly reduced federal aid for the
poorest Americans. The journalist Jill Nelson wrote about the likely
fallout from the “reform” in a Nation piece titled, “Apocalypse Now.”

I am terrified by what will likely happen. Here, we are already on
the edge; there is no shoulder by the side of the road. Many of my
neighbors are elderly legal immigrants, long out of the work force and
sometimes pensionless, subsisting on [Supplemental Security Income].
Many are families with children, who receive food stamps or Medicaid
because, even working a full-time job, they can’t put quite enough
food on the table or purchase health care. Some of the young women I
can see coming outside with their babies as soon as it gets warm
receive [Aid to Families With Dependent Children]. Then there are all
the other people who get no direct benefits from social welfare
programs (although many, like myself, once did), but coexist
peacefully with those who do—beneficiaries of the fragile state of
grace that suggests we are our sisters’ and brothers’ keepers. That is
what community is fundamentally about. The welfare bill will destroy
that state of grace. In its place will come massive and deadly
poverty, sickness and all manner of violence. People will die,
businesses will close, infant mortality will soar, everyone who can
will move. Working- and middle-class communities all over America will
become scary, violent wastelands created by a government that decided
it has no obligation to its neediest citizens. In such a landscape,
each of us becomes either predator or prey. We’ll all be fair game to
one another, the ones who used to be our neighbors, back when we had a
community. The bill does not signal simply the “end of welfare as we
know it” but the end of any idealistic notions of an America we
thought could be. In stripping away society’s supports for the
weakest—whether children born in poverty, or young mothers in need of
a leg up, or legal immigrants who came here in search of a better
life, or unemployed workers in a time of record corporate profits and
rampant downsizing—the government announces the death of a dream of
America. Forget you heard the words engraved on the Statue of Liberty,
written in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. All that is simply
obsolete lip service. The only sound now is the death knell of any
government-supported vision of an equitable, egalitarian America.

https://www.thenation.com/article/august-22-1996-bill-clinton-ends-welfare-as-we-know-it/
me
2018-06-13 17:32:15 UTC
Another crock of shit. Propaganda that precedes Theo Epstein I provided you. That welfare reform was a tweaking like has been happening with SS as well. Did you read what I provided?