Onion soup recipie?
b***@gmail.com
2018-06-13 02:52:46 UTC
I went to Applebee's last week since I had a $40 gift card from Xmas. I tried the Onion Soup and Cesar salad for $7.99 plus a 2 dollar tip. It was excellent and the soup was dark brown with a big piece of cheese on top. So, I decided to make my own. I looked up the ingredients with Google and it said a half cup of butter and some olive oil and garlic, Thyme, red wine and salt and pepper but didn't specify how much of each. So, I just boiled the chopped onion for an hour and added the other ingredients from what I thought they should be. Wasn't very good. I could eat it but it was nowhere as good as Applebee's. Next time I go to Applebee's I'll ask the waitress how to do it. Do-it-yourself recipes never work.
BigRedWingsFan
2018-06-13 03:36:41 UTC
Try this, Bill: https://copykat.com/2017/02/14/applebees-french-onion-soup/
b***@gmail.com
2018-06-13 10:12:35 UTC
Yes, that looks promising. I'll try it. It's a lot of work but worth the effort if it turns out like Applebees. I still don't understand why onion soup requires beef broth.
Emily
2018-06-13 11:55:37 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by BigRedWingsFan
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
What would you use instead of beef broth?

I made my version of onion soup once using nothing but beef broth and
onions and thought it was quite tasty. I never really cared for the
bread and cheese on top, mostly because I hate stringy cheese, and a
piece of toast to eat with the soup suffices quite well unless you're
a purist.
El Castor
2018-06-13 07:43:04 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I went to Applebee's last week since I had a $40 gift card from Xmas. I tried the Onion Soup and Cesar salad for $7.99 plus a 2 dollar tip. It was excellent and the soup was dark brown with a big piece of cheese on top. So, I decided to make my own. I looked up the ingredients with Google and it said a half cup of butter and some olive oil and garlic, Thyme, red wine and salt and pepper but didn't specify how much of each. So, I just boiled the chopped onion for an hour and added the other ingredients from what I thought they should be. Wasn't very good. I could eat it but it was nowhere as good as Applebee's. Next time I go to Applebee's I'll ask the waitress how to do it. Do-it-yourself recipes never work.
Half cup butter!!!! Aieeeee!!!! Call an ambulance!!!!!!

Try the copykat recipe the other guy gave you. (-8
b***@gmail.com
2018-06-13 09:14:18 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I went to Applebee's last week since I had a $40 gift card from Xmas. I tried the Onion Soup and Cesar salad for $7.99 plus a 2 dollar tip. It was excellent and the soup was dark brown with a big piece of cheese on top. So, I decided to make my own. I looked up the ingredients with Google and it said a half cup of butter and some olive oil and garlic, Thyme, red wine and salt and pepper but didn't specify how much of each. So, I just boiled the chopped onion for an hour and added the other ingredients from what I thought they should be. Wasn't very good. I could eat it but it was nowhere as good as Applebee's. Next time I go to Applebee's I'll ask the waitress how to do it. Do-it-yourself recipes never work.
Half cup butter!!!! Aieeeee!!!! Call an ambulance!!!!!!
Try the copykat recipe the other guy gave you. (-8
Yes, here it is but they don't say how many servings it's for. Probably 10 servings or more.

Google search: "Onion Soup Recipe ingredients" without quotes.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=atogW_OxIMTS_wTu7LroCQ&q=onion+soup+recipe+ingredients&oq=%22onion+soup+recipie%22+ingredients&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30k1l2.499950.535400.0.540931.58.48.0.0.0.0.2411.11578.3-11j12j9-1.24.0..2..0...1.1.64.psy-ab..34.6.2473...35i39k1j0i13k1.0.qZspz9Uwe8Q

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter.
4 onions, sliced.
2 garlic cloves, chopped.
2 bay leaves.
2 fresh thyme sprigs.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
1 cup red wine, about 1/2 bottle.
3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-06-13 14:35:02 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by El Castor
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Hmm, I looked with jaded eye on the term
"kosher salt". I read that it has a larger grain
size than common salt, and does not contain
the iodine additive. I thought the small amount
of iodine added to table salt was beneficial
though, and if so I'm for it since I imagine
there are not many other everyday ways of
getting iodine into one's diet.

Why bother with unsalted butter if you're
going to add salt anyway? I never buy
unsalted butter because every once in a while
I like to eat just a small knife-blade's wedge
of butter by itself, but unsalted butter by
itself isn't as tasty as salted.

I'm no cook though, that's for sure. I'd
never use red wine just because I don't like
wine. I will dice onion occasionally, but cloves
and bay leaves and thyme are too fussy for
me. Bay leaves are also unpleasant if they
get in your mouth. I have some flour but the
small package is probably several years old
and I never think of adding flour to anything.
El Castor
2018-06-13 18:35:03 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by El Castor
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Cooks like kosher salt because it's coarse. I keep a small bowl near
the stove and grab a pinch for seasoning while cooking.