On a lighter note...
2017-04-18 15:37:37 UTC
And a tip of the hat to Rumple,

Last Tuesday, I was driving to town and the morning was spectacular,
sunny and definitely a harbinger of spring. I was listening to a
classical music station on the radio and they were playing Mozart's
Piano Sonata No 11. It was a perfect reflection of my mood, a perfect
accompaniment to the beginning of a beautiful day, especially the last
movement, Rondo alla Turca (18:50 in this recording).

The event has stuck with me and just thought I would share.

Enjoy Spring!
rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-18 17:11:44 UTC
And a tip of the hat to Rumple,
Last Tuesday, I was driving to town and the morning was spectacular,
sunny and definitely a harbinger of spring. I was listening to a
classical music station on the radio and they were playing Mozart's
Piano Sonata No 11. It was a perfect reflection of my mood, a perfect
accompaniment to the beginning of a beautiful day, especially the last
movement, Rondo alla Turca (18:50 in this recording).
The event has stuck with me and just thought I would share.
http://youtu.be/FZ1mj9IaczQ
Enjoy Spring!
That Mozart sonata is a favourite, one of the
ones I used to play.
billbowden
2017-04-19 00:19:45 UTC
And a tip of the hat to Rumple,
Last Tuesday, I was driving to town and the morning was spectacular,
sunny and definitely a harbinger of spring. I was listening to a
classical music station on the radio and they were playing Mozart's
Piano Sonata No 11. It was a perfect reflection of my mood, a perfect
accompaniment to the beginning of a beautiful day, especially the last
movement, Rondo alla Turca (18:50 in this recording).
The event has stuck with me and just thought I would share.
http://youtu.be/FZ1mj9IaczQ
Enjoy Spring!
That Mozart sonata is a favourite, one of the
ones I used to play.
My favorite is Chopin's Polonaise in A flat. major op53. I remember
listening to my mother play it late at night when I was in bed. I think I
was 8 or 9 years old. I think part of it was horses running and jumping over
obstacles. I learned to play it when I was 24, took me 6 months, but can't
do it anymore. I remember it begins on E flat.

. .
rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-19 14:21:14 UTC
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 17:19:45 -0700, "billbowden"
Post by billbowden
[...]
I used to play that one too, and the Polonaise in A.

Too flashy for me these days though. This is
my favourite piece of Chopin, and has been for
a long while. And it's even easy to play. I've
written dedications at the top of it for my first
two cats and for my one-time best friend who
died in 1990, of vanity (too much steroids).

d***@agent.com
2017-04-18 18:40:06 UTC
And a tip of the hat to Rumple,
Last Tuesday, I was driving to town and the morning was spectacular,
sunny and definitely a harbinger of spring. I was listening to a
classical music station on the radio and they were playing Mozart's
Piano Sonata No 11. It was a perfect reflection of my mood, a perfect
accompaniment to the beginning of a beautiful day, especially the last
movement, Rondo alla Turca (18:50 in this recording).
The event has stuck with me and just thought I would share.
http://youtu.be/FZ1mj9IaczQ
Enjoy Spring!
KC and the Sunshine Band - I'm your Boogie Man

This is a great disco funk of the '70s.

2017-04-18 19:33:38 UTC
And a tip of the hat to Rumple,
Last Tuesday, I was driving to town and the morning was spectacular,
sunny and definitely a harbinger of spring. I was listening to a
classical music station on the radio and they were playing Mozart's
Piano Sonata No 11. It was a perfect reflection of my mood, a perfect
accompaniment to the beginning of a beautiful day, especially the last
movement, Rondo alla Turca (18:50 in this recording).
The event has stuck with me and just thought I would share.
http://youtu.be/FZ1mj9IaczQ
Enjoy Spring!
I envy you. Spring has yet to arrive in California.

Mozart was a decent composer, but not quite up to the standards of the
legendary Eagles.

Here is Linda Ronstadt covering their immortal Desperado ...

When it comes to the piano, there is of course only one that rises
above the rest -- Beethoven's Fur Elise. (-8

islander
2017-04-18 22:01:00 UTC
http://youtu.be/lBHRJmW7bVo
When it comes to the piano, there is of course only one that rises
above the rest -- Beethoven's Fur Elise. (-8
http://youtu.be/e4d0LOuP4Uw
Years ago, my wife and I decided to take piano lessons. Fur Elise is
her favorite and inspired her to advance to the point that she could
play it passably. Then lost interest. Lessons were lost on me.
Finally gave the piano away last year.
El Castor
2017-04-19 06:09:00 UTC
[...]
Years ago I bought my wife a keyboard. Our experience exactly mirrors
yours. (-8
rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-19 14:29:59 UTC
[...]
Für Elise is very easy. It's nice to have a few great pieces
that are easy. Here's another, astonishingly from
Schoenberg, apparently showing that he could write
attention-grabbing music that wasn't insanely complex and
difficult:

It's the only thing of Schoenberg I can play at all.
I had to look around a bit before I found a performance
I liked, and found this one by this little kid.

My favourite of the 6 pieces is #2, the sparest of all
(from 1:38 to 2:43). Though the little kid is astonishing,
James Boyk plays these pieces more the way I play
them myself, and you get to watch the music go by.
(The Boyk came up for me right after the little kid,
though it didn't do that again since there's apparently
randomness built in to what follows what in YouTube.)

Boyk takes #2 faster than I do: I prefer the little kid's
performance for that.

Perhaps my favourite Schoenberg works are the
two concerti, one for violin and one for piano.
Here's the piano concerto, with two of my
favorite musicians - Boulez conducting and Uchida
on piano. As a bonus you get to watch the score
go by in synchrony. Needless to say, I could never
dream of playing that concerto myself:

islander
2017-04-20 14:31:37 UTC
http://youtu.be/aCT2anVJebU
http://youtu.be/TZleqbjwEuA
Boyk takes #2 faster than I do: I prefer the little kid's
performance for that.
Perhaps my favourite Schoenberg works are the
two concerti, one for violin and one for piano.
Here's the piano concerto, with two of my
favorite musicians - Boulez conducting and Uchida
on piano. As a bonus you get to watch the score
go by in synchrony. Needless to say, I could never
http://youtu.be/JEY9lmCZbIc
Pretty pensive. Not very appealing to me, I'm afraid. But then, I
don't know anything about music.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-20 18:44:30 UTC
[...]
Schoenberg and his school have always been more
admired by musicians than loved by the public, and I
think things are going to stay that way. Nobody
was more skilled than Mozart, but he never forgot
that music should be readily appealing if it was to
achieve general success. When he wrote his piano
concerti 15 to 17, he wrote his father that he had
achieved his goal of writing music that would thrill
the cognoscenti while at the same time delight
those who knew nothing about music though they
might not know why.

Schoenberg was a big admirer, and friend, of
Gershwin, by the way, and longed himself for the
magic Gershwin's music had for the general public.