Finished Jury Duty Today
billbowden
2017-04-14 00:33:43 UTC
I got a Jury Summons where you call in every day for 5 days. Friday they
said to call back Monday and Monday they said to call back Teusday and
Tuesday they said to call back Wednesday and Wednesday they said to report
at 8AM Thursday. You really don't have to report in at 8AM since nothing
happens until 9AM other than checking in All the seats were taken when I
arrived a little late so I had to sit on the counter next to the microwave
oven. I'm sure there was one more empty seat since they wouldn't call any
more people than they had seats for. But I didn't want to study the room to
find the one empty seat. Then we listened to a speech about the virtues of
serving on a jury. Then a judge came in and repeatd the same stuff (jury
duty is an honor and the legal system cannot survive without unselfish
caring people like you). Then they took roll call to verify everybody was
present. .20 minutes later they called 60 names for the first case and my
name was called. So, 60 of us went to a courtroom and listened to the judge
repeat the same stuff again about how the legal system could not operate
without unselfish caring people like us. He pointed out that he actually
wasn't the judge and we the jury would be the judge. So, they called 22
people out of the 60 to sit in the jury chairs and I wasn't called. Then
the judge grilled the 22 candidates about their background, maritasl status,
employment, etc. One of the candidates had a JD Doctorate of law degree and
another admitted she was a high school dropout, and the judge made the
comment that he had been expelled from 10th grade so she shouldn't feel bad
about not finishing high school. He was sort of a comedian or trying to be
one. Then we went to lunch for 1.5 hours since the courthouse didn't have a
cafeteria and we needed the extra 30 minutes to walk someplace to have
lunch. All the security guards were J-walking across the road since there
wasn't a crosswalk within 100 yards. So, I just followed along and J-walked
across the road. I went to a supermarket nearby where they had an impressive
display of food for lunch. Sandwiches, soup bar, delicatessen, the works. I
think the supermarket makes half their money on people from the nearby
courthouse coming to lunch. They know a good deal when they see it. So,
after lunch, the lawyers dismissed 8 candidates so there were only 14 left
which was just the right number for 12 jurors and 2 alternates. Then the
judge dismissed the rest of us and I made it home by 3PM. It was a criminal
case, so I'm glad I wasn't selected. I don't mind civil cases where there is
a financial disagreement but criminal cases sort of point to the defendant
being guilty since he's already in jail and there is substantial evidence
he/she committed the crime. Once, I told a lawyer when I see smoke there is
most likely fire, and I was dismissed.

.
GLOBALIST
2017-04-14 00:41:52 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I use to think it would be exciting but now I find it boring.
You are moved to this room, to that room, and back to the
main room and you stare at the clock hoping they will dismiss
you early.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-14 03:08:53 UTC
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:33:43 -0700, "billbowden"
Post by billbowden
[...]
My foster-father was on a Grand Jury for months in
Massachusetts once, and he was proud of that.

Every five years or so I get a summons for jury
duty, but I just send in a copy of my up-to-date Alien
Registration card, and that's the end of it. Maybe if
I greeted the judge with a Nazi salute, that might get
me off jury duty, but on the other hand it might be
photographed and printed in the newspapers.

I don't have the right personality to be on a jury,
or to be a lawyer or an accountant. I get frustrated
too easily by things I find tedious.
billbowden
2017-04-17 23:21:46 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
After Jury duty, I got the idea of pleading not guilty to my traffic
ticket. I inspected the location where I made an illegal left turn and the
sign is posted on the right side of the driveway. Anyone who uses that
driveway to turn left always looks to the left since that't the way the
oncoming traffic is located. Nobody looks right because there is no traffic
on the right or they are travelling the other way and pose no problem. But
there is a small possibility a pedestrian could be walking against the
traffic and approaching the from the right. But if the sign had been posted
on the left side of the driveway, nobody would turn left and would look to
the right for a possible pedestrian. Problem solved. Anyway, I'm going to
ask the clerk in the courthouse traffic division if I have any chance of
convincing a judge that I shouldn't have to pay $300 for a incorrectly
posted sign.

.
El Castor
2017-04-18 01:05:12 UTC
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:21:46 -0700, "billbowden"
Post by billbowden
Post by billbowden
[...]
Maybe there is a rule or regulation of some sort about where the sign
should be posted? If you can show that to the judge you should be home
free ... if not?
billbowden
2017-04-19 23:25:03 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
Doing a little research, I found a methode of contesting the citation by
doing a 'Trial by Written Declaration'. I guess you just write down all the
details and submit the statement along with pictures and the case can be
decided without having to appear in court. And there is no penality for
contesting the thing, so you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
But you have to pay in advance and hope to get a refund. I'm definetly going
to try this. It makes sense, since a judge doesn't want his time wasted and
probably would say to just write down the details and someone else will
review it and make a decision. But I would still like winning the case in
court while that cop was present and wish him a nice day on my way out.

https://www.2fixyourtrafficticket.com/blogs/2.html

"The legal affairs for fighting traffic tickets are almost as bad as the
ticket itself. For drivers who want to learn how to beat a speeding ticket
in California trial by written declaration (by mail), there is an answer:
Here is how to submit a request for Trial by Written Declaration:

a.. The defendant must obtain either online or otherwise, a Trial by
Written Declaration form. The defendant must then fill out the form to the
best of their ability.
b.. The defendant must then attached the full bail amount to the Trial by
Written Declaration form, and deliver/mail the entire package to the traffic
court before the indicated due date.
c.. After 30-90 days, the traffic court will send the defendant a decision
letter with the court's verdict after reviewing the written declaration.
At this point, one of several paths can be taken based on the court's
decision:

a.. If the traffic court dismisses the ticket: the ticket is dismissed and
the defendant receives a full refund for the bail amount.
b.. If the traffic court does not dismiss the ticket:
a.. (a) The defendant may accept the verdict, and move onto traffic
school if they are eligible.
b.. (b) The defendant may choose to continue to fight the traffic
ticket, and request a court trial.
As you may have noticed, there is no loss or penalty for submitting a
written declaration, so there are no reasons to not attempt a written
declaration. "
El Castor
2017-04-20 09:31:15 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I think I've gotten two speeding tickets and a left turn, and just
paid the damn things. I've been stopped two or three times, but got
out of it by being so apologetic that I practically had the cop in
tears -- or maybe he just wanted to get away from me. If I was in your
shoes, I would have a go at it. Pictures and diagrams couldn't hurt.
billbowden
2017-04-25 00:55:33 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I went to the courthouse today and got the paperwork for doing a "Trial by
Written Declaration". The clerk was friendly and moved the trial date from
May 20 to July 6 to give me more time. That was nice, he gave me about 45
more days to do the paperwork. I took pictures of the left and right side of
the driveway which showed the sign only on the right side. I put the photo
showing the sign into photoshop and drew a red line with an arrow showing
exactly where the sign was posted on the right side of the driveway. So, the
pictures are clear. Now, I'm working on the page titled "Statement of Facts"
and telling the judge I broke the law and deserve punishment but the
situation might be improved if the sign was moved from the right side of the
driveway to the left where it belongs. Maybe I'll get a few dollars
refunded. Hard to tell. .
.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-25 07:15:05 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I don't think you "deserve punishment", but you've probably
screwed the pooch by signing a statement that you do. I
personally think (but what do I know) that the placement of
the sign, on the wrong side of the road from where a
reasonable person would be looking, should present a good
argument for dismissing the case.
El Castor
Agreed!
billbowden
2017-04-25 22:10:10 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
Yes, you may be right about admitting any guilt. But I have another 2 months
to submit the papers and I haven't signed anything yet. But after looking at
the photo, I notice a yellow line going down the center of the driveway
indicating the driveway is actually 2 lanes so it could be possible a car
could be entering the lot through the lane on my left as I'm making the left
turn. This could possibly block my view to the left while a car was entering
the lot and sitting next to me. But that would't matter since I would have
to wait for the entering car to pass me so I could see the traffic on the
left and also the sign. Another thing is, I haven't measured the distance to
sign if it was posted on the left but I'm sure it's a greater distance that
now exists posted on the right. .So, they make an argument the sign is much
closer to my view if posted on the right. But that only applies if you take
note of the sign before you reach the street and are ready to make the turn.
Somebody must have considered all these details when deciding how to post
the sign. I wonder who that was? It's a school parking lot so maybe the
school paid for the sign and figured out where to post it.
El Castor
2017-04-26 09:16:32 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I guess if I were you I would just explain in a low key, modest, and
BRIEF way that you are a careful driver and were doing your best to
make a safe turn, but were concentrating on the on-coming traffic on
the left and did not see the sign which you would normally expect to
be placed straight ahead or to your left. If you have a clean driving
record I would also mention that. Personally, I think you would not
want to admit guilt, avoid getting strident or appear to lecture the
judge (or cop) on the law, and don't go into too much detail.

rumpelstiltskin
2017-04-18 04:15:31 UTC
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:21:46 -0700, "billbowden"
<snip>
Post by billbowden
[...]
My only experience with traffic court was when I beat a ticket
in a traffic "trap" - there's no other name for it - targeting cars
in a traffic jam created by the trap itself. A plainclothes cop was
standing - just standing - in the median strip, as I (and other
drivers) could see from several cars back in the jam He was
obviously making no attempt to cross. The more savvy drivers
stopped anyway, I would now say because they realized that
it was a trap. I wasn't so savvy, since I don't drive all that
much and I'd never been in a trap before. After seeing at least
the three cars ahead of me each stop, briefly, holding up traffic,
I didn't stop myself, but drove through carefully, watching the
plainclothes cop all way, and I got pulled over. In court, I
brought pictures of the crosswalk and the median strip in which
the plainclothes cop had been standing, and I won the case.
The copy who I guess had been in charge of the trap looked
stunned at losing. I hope he was stunned because he realized
that he'd been giving out a lot of tickets unfairly that day,
which of course would contribute to many people's distrust
of the police. Such distrust of course is something the police
should try to avoid doing, rather than acting so as to justify
such distrust in the minds of people.

So judges are amenable to reason, and it sounds to me
that you have a very reasonable argument.

That experience didn't sour me on cops - I still like cops -
but it is a practice that I think should not continue, because
it does understandably put the police in a bad light.

I got a ticket once for an illegal left turn, which I didn't
contest. There was a "no left turn" sign, but it was so small
as to be hard to notice, at the very busy intersection where
Arguello, on which I was travelling, crosses the very busy
intersection of six-lane Geary. I'd made that turn often
before without ever noticing the sign, but I figured I
wouldn't win the case if I contested it. Since then, the
traffic light there has had a left-turn-arrow phase added.
islander
2017-04-18 15:55:21 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
In our little town, the speed limit is 20mph, but there is only one
speed limit sign at each of the entrances to town. Easy to miss.
Otherwise, the speed limit on the island is 35mph with only one stretch
going up to 40mph. One of the roads going out of town is down-hill and
transitions from 20mph to 35mph at the bottom of the hill. Needless to
say, this is a place where a lot of speeding tickets are written. The
only 20mph signs are on the other side of town, long forgotten. It is
very difficult to keep your speed down to 20mph on the open down-hill
stretch, especially when there is an obvious 35mph sign at the bottom of
the hill.

So, if the intent of speed limits is to improve safety, why are there so
few signs? (My wife swears that there used to be more.) The police
must have records about where the most citations are given, so it would
seem desirable to either increase signage or perhaps post information
about where these "dangerous" places are.

Or, perhaps they need the money?

I haven't gotten a ticket in about 20 years and that was when I still
lived in CA, but getting a citation here is a big deal because it would
disqualify me from volunteering to provide transportation for those who
can no longer drive.
El Castor
2017-04-18 20:09:38 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
My last speeding ticket was likewise about 20 years ago, but in
Oregon, not California. I was on a freeway doing about 65 in a 55 zone
when the grill of a nondescript unmarked brown car behind me lit up
like a Christmas tree! Oregon, it seems, has (or had?) unmarked
highway patrol cars prowling the freeway.
islander
I got nailed on I5 near Lake Shasta along with a bunch of others.
El Castor
2017-04-19 06:15:37 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
If you observe the speed limit on I5 you get run over.