Tropical storms and global warming...
2018-09-12 19:32:21 UTC
We tend to concentrate on the performance of very low barometric
pressure as a cause of hurricanes. There is another problem that has
received little attention in the press. Just as there are extremes in
low pressure areas which produce the conditions for cyclonic storms
including hurricanes, there are also extremes of high pressure areas
which have a significant effect on the weather. In the current example
of Florence, the hurricane is expected to stall and even move to the
south rather than follow the normal path of hurricanes into the Atlantic
where they can cool off relatively harmlessly. Why is this? We are
increasingly seeing stationary high pressure systems (clockwise
rotation) that push the low pressure areas to the south. This tends to
stall them and produce a lot of rain and flooding. That is a very real
danger for Florence, while the storm is expected to reach land over
North Carolina, the rainfall and flooding is expected to extend down to
South Carolina and Georgia.

When you pump additional energy into a system, you can reasonably expect
extreme reactions.
Dan C
2018-09-12 21:09:10 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:32:21 -0700, islander wrote:

> We tend to concentrate on the performance of very low barometric
> pressure as a cause of hurricanes. There is another problem that has
> received little attention in the press. Just as there are extremes in
> low pressure areas which produce the conditions for cyclonic storms
> including hurricanes, there are also extremes of high pressure areas
> which have a significant effect on the weather. In the current example
> of Florence, the hurricane is expected to stall and even move to the
> south rather than follow the normal path of hurricanes into the Atlantic
> where they can cool off relatively harmlessly. Why is this? We are
> increasingly seeing stationary high pressure systems (clockwise
> rotation) that push the low pressure areas to the south. This tends to
> stall them and produce a lot of rain and flooding. That is a very real
> danger for Florence, while the storm is expected to reach land over
> North Carolina, the rainfall and flooding is expected to extend down to
> South Carolina and Georgia.
>
> When you pump additional energy into a system, you can reasonably expect
> extreme reactions.

LOL!

What's your theory on what's causing the high pressure areas? You never
really stated what it was. "Global Warming" causes high pressure?
Really? Are you a trained meteorologist?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as the woodpecker approached his hot-air balloon.