VERY slow day on soc.retirement
2017-08-09 19:01:38 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
El Castor
2017-08-09 20:05:12 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
It has gotten predictable, boring, and bitter.

Let me sum up.

Everything Trump says and does is wrong, selfish, and evil!
No it isn't!
Etc.
GLOBALIST
2017-08-09 20:51:54 UTC
[...]
Which is why I try not to bite at the bait of
Mr Impending Doom.
mg
2017-08-09 22:36:47 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
Jeff put it well when he said that It has gotten
predictable, boring, and bitter. The bitter isn't so bad,
but the predictable and boring is a real killer when it
comes to a discussion group. Then too, it also depends on
who you have blocked. Arthur Wouk and Globalist seem to
account for a large share of the posts, for instance.
El Castor
2017-08-10 07:06:23 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
Jeff put it well when he said that It has gotten
predictable, boring, and bitter. The bitter isn't so bad,
but the predictable and boring is a real killer when it
comes to a discussion group. Then too, it also depends on
who you have blocked. Arthur Wouk and Globalist seem to
account for a large share of the posts, for instance.
I don't block Arthur because he wisely (cleverly?) throws interesting
posts into the mix. If the group consisted of nothing but the single
minded jackasses I have blocked, I would leave too. Unfortunately it
seems headed in that direction.
mg
2017-08-10 16:38:20 UTC
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 00:06:23 -0700, El Castor
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
Jeff put it well when he said that It has gotten
predictable, boring, and bitter. The bitter isn't so bad,
but the predictable and boring is a real killer when it
comes to a discussion group. Then too, it also depends on
who you have blocked. Arthur Wouk and Globalist seem to
account for a large share of the posts, for instance.
I don't block Arthur because he wisely (cleverly?) throws interesting
posts into the mix. If the group consisted of nothing but the single
minded jackasses I have blocked, I would leave too. Unfortunately it
seems headed in that direction.
I don't block either one of them. Both of them provide some
interesting information from time to time.
Gary
2017-08-10 13:10:59 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters. From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
downloaded 52 posts. That did no count cross-posts or advertising spam.

I don't kill-file anybody (except cross posters). Even posters I disagree with
or whom I may dislike. I've learned over the years that even they may
(occasionally) have thoughts or ideas I find interesting. That does not mean I
read all their posts. Only an occasional one posted to an interesting thread.
Post by rumpelstiltskin
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
I think of them as "cultural observations". Even among white communites --
there are sometimes several various cultures. I like to observe (and comment
on) all of them.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-10 14:43:08 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
I think of them as "cultural observations". Even among white communites --
there are sometimes several various cultures. I like to observe (and comment
on) all of them.
You can faux-sanitize what you do any way you want,
it still looks dirty to me.
Gary
2017-08-10 17:42:31 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
I think of them as "cultural observations". Even among white communites --
there are sometimes several various cultures. I like to observe (and comment
on) all of them.
You can faux-sanitize what you do any way you want,
it still looks dirty to me.
Like beauty -- "dirty" is in the eye of the beholder. To some people -- the
thought of a bathtub is a dirty thought. I try to address my comments to a
civilized people -- who are not upset at the thought of a bathtub :-)

Seriously, I like the give and take of an open discussion of an interesting
subject. And the only way it can be "interesting" is if both sides are brought
out. One-sided discussions are boring. ("I love it more than you do !")
So -- I try to provide the alternative view :-)
El Castor
2017-08-10 20:04:54 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
I think of them as "cultural observations". Even among white communites --
there are sometimes several various cultures. I like to observe (and comment
on) all of them.
You can faux-sanitize what you do any way you want,
it still looks dirty to me.
Like beauty -- "dirty" is in the eye of the beholder. To some people -- the
thought of a bathtub is a dirty thought. I try to address my comments to a
civilized people -- who are not upset at the thought of a bathtub :-)
Seriously, I like the give and take of an open discussion of an interesting
subject. And the only way it can be "interesting" is if both sides are brought
out. One-sided discussions are boring. ("I love it more than you do !")
So -- I try to provide the alternative view :-)
When some new arrival erupts into a stream of curses, makes claims
that are clearly beyond nuts, or tries to sell something, I plonk
them. Maybe I will give Globalist another try.
Gary
2017-08-10 20:24:24 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
What I'm beginning to miss are posts with an interesting subject. Back five or
ten years ago -- they were quite common. But that was when some of our older
posters were still with us. Jim Chamblee and Glenn Pooler were still regulars.
Just to name a couple.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-11 04:41:41 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
With all due respect to Glenn, who I think is dead, I had to
agree with what Rita said of him, that he never had a good
word to say for anybody. I miss Jim Chamblee - he was
one of soc.retirement's all-time best posters IMO, as was
Rita also.
El Castor
2017-08-11 09:26:42 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
Rita was a classic. I hope that wherever she is, she is happily riding
her trike. (-8
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-11 16:40:10 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 02:26:42 -0700, El Castor
<snip>
With all due respect to Glenn, who I think is dead, I had to
agree with what Rita said of him, that he never had a good
word to say for anybody. I miss Jim Chamblee - he was
one of soc.retirement's all-time best posters IMO, as was
Rita also.
Rita was a classic. I hope that wherever she is, she is happily riding
her trike. (-8
I know you want to indulge your wife, but I'm sure you
don't believe that Jesus sends out his seven dwarfs to
make sure everybody is happy in Never-Never-Land.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person that
Peter and Wendy have promised to accommodate after
I die. That came to me in a vision so it must be true.
El Castor
2017-08-11 20:48:12 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 02:26:42 -0700, El Castor
<snip>
With all due respect to Glenn, who I think is dead, I had to
agree with what Rita said of him, that he never had a good
word to say for anybody. I miss Jim Chamblee - he was
one of soc.retirement's all-time best posters IMO, as was
Rita also.
Rita was a classic. I hope that wherever she is, she is happily riding
her trike. (-8
I know you want to indulge your wife, but I'm sure you
don't believe that Jesus sends out his seven dwarfs to
make sure everybody is happy in Never-Never-Land.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person that
Peter and Wendy have promised to accommodate after
I die. That came to me in a vision so it must be true.
Surely, you of all people, are aware of the infinite age and vastness
of the universe. A universe that could accommodate just about anything
you could or couldn't imagine. And you must also be aware of the quite
plausible theories that we may be living in a computer simulation.
Personally, I have better things to do than pronounce judgments about
a universe that I will never understand. Let people believe what they
wish. If it makes them happy, why not, and who knows, they might be
right.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-12 00:53:38 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 13:48:12 -0700, El Castor
[...]
Personally I regard the idea that we may be living in
a computer simulation as merely a matter of perspective,
unless one adds the idea that somebody is running
the simulation. That addition would be a wild
speculation though, akin to the idea that there may be
a pterosaur under my chair, and if I reach down I'll
come in contact with him. Once in a trillion tries, that
might turn out to be true, but only once in a trillion.

As to the "simulation" itself, that's "Plato's Cave"
which is very understandable, in contrast to his
"divided line" which I find incomprehensible. I've
seen others who delve into philosophy far more than
I do saying that Plato himself seemed to abandon
some aspects of the "divided line" in his later
writing. Aristotle rejected it for the "divided line"
for the same reason that I do, that one can't discover what is the
absolute "Good",
if indeed there is any such thing at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
El Castor
2017-08-12 04:34:20 UTC
[...]
"ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?"
http://www.simulation-argument.com

"Are We Living in a Computer Simulation?"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/

"Why Elon Musk says we're living in a simulation"

"HUMANS are living in a simulation, according to two of the world’s
top astronomers who claim there is also evidence to prove it."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/737006/life-is-a-SIMULATION-neil-degrasse-tyson-brian-greene-elon-musk-simulation-theory
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-12 05:59:04 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 21:34:20 -0700, El Castor
http://youtu.be/J0KHiiTtt4w
"HUMANS are living in a simulation, according to two of the world’s
top astronomers who claim there is also evidence to prove it."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/737006/life-is-a-SIMULATION-neil-degrasse-tyson-brian-greene-elon-musk-simulation-theory
I don't remember and don't care what company
Elon Musk controls, but I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber
because he's prettier. As I posted. I have no quarrel
that we're living in a "computer simulation". If one
progresses from there to saying "Then there must be
a programmer", I do have a major, even terminal,
quarrel with that, as I also posted. The next question
is "who programmed the programmer?" So we're
right back where we started, but with the
disadvantage of postulating an intermediary that
doesn't answer any questions and for which there
is no evidence.
El Castor
2017-08-12 07:43:43 UTC
[...]
AI ideally programs itself -- just as the human brain does.

Elon Musk -- Tesla, SpaceX, Solar City, and several other enterprises.
He's one of those billionaires you hate, but one that is changing the
world.

rumpelstiltskin
right.
rumpelstiltskin
right.
El Castor
Yeah, I know what you mean.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-11 04:41:41 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
I think of them as "cultural observations". Even among white communites --
there are sometimes several various cultures. I like to observe (and comment
on) all of them.
You can faux-sanitize what you do any way you want,
it still looks dirty to me.
Like beauty -- "dirty" is in the eye of the beholder. To some people -- the
thought of a bathtub is a dirty thought. I try to address my comments to a
civilized people -- who are not upset at the thought of a bathtub :-)
I don't think many people are sympathetic to your views, except
perhaps in the Southeast which is perhaps why everybody you
know, or at least every white person which is all that counts, is
sympathetic to your views.
Gary
2017-08-11 15:21:17 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
as Gary would characterize them, his "non-racist observations".
I think of them as "cultural observations". Even among white communites --
there are sometimes several various cultures. I like to observe (and comment
on) all of them.
You can faux-sanitize what you do any way you want,
it still looks dirty to me.
Like beauty -- "dirty" is in the eye of the beholder. To some people -- the
thought of a bathtub is a dirty thought. I try to address my comments to a
civilized people -- who are not upset at the thought of a bathtub :-)
I don't think many people are sympathetic to your views, except
perhaps in the Southeast which is perhaps why everybody you
know, or at least every white person which is all that counts, is
sympathetic to your views.
If you refer to your theory that I hate blacks -- I must tell you that not many
Southerners hate blacks. I would suggest the places who hate blacks the most
are in the North. Like Detroit and Chicago. That's where blacks head when
they don't want to work for a living. In the rural and suburban South -- black
people get jobs and work for a living. (Just like you and me use to do). And
most have accepted the American (Anglo-saxon) culture that founded this country.
In other words -- most black Southerners are ALL AMERICAN and not African.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-11 16:40:10 UTC
It's noon now, and since midnight there have only been 13 posts
including this one, four of which have been Gary's racist rants, or
You are kill-filing too many posters.
I don't think so! :-)
From midnight to noon yesterday -- I
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
In spite of the constant racism from the white Southerners?
That's pretty commendable. I certainly couldn't do it.
Gary
2017-08-11 17:42:20 UTC
[...]
What you don't understand is how close Southern black families and white
families are. How can they help but feel a lot of affection ? Just think -
if you lived down the street from the family who use to own your
great-grandparents -- wouldn't you think of them as extended family ?
rumpelstiltskin
2017-08-11 18:48:34 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 13:42:20 -0400, Gary <***@upn.com> wrote:
<snip>
Post by Gary
What you don't understand is how close Southern black families and white
families are. How can they help but feel a lot of affection ? Just think -
if you lived down the street from the family who use to own your
great-grandparents -- wouldn't you think of them as extended family ?
Deliberately offensive. I've had enough.