Republicans block Democratic bid to subpoena Kavanaugh documents
Add Reply
w***@gmail.com
2018-09-13 15:26:16 UTC
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406485-republicans-block-democratic-bid-to-subpoena-kavanaugh-documents

Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday blocked multiple efforts by Democrats to subpoena documents from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's White House tenure.

Democrats tried to get the committee to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's work as a staff secretary in the George W. Bush administration, as well as more than 100,000 pages that the Trump administration asked to withhold from the panel.

But both Democratic subpoena efforts were blocked in party line votes by the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold the majority.

The first demand for a subpoena came from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who wanted the committee to force the National Archives to hand over Kavanaugh's staff secretary documents.

Feinstein, the top Democrat on the committee, questioned what are "Republicans hiding" by not requesting the documents.

"I move for the committee to authorize the issuance of a subpoena for the National Archives for records from Judge Kavanaugh's service as staff secretary in the White House from 2003 to 2006," Feinstein said.

She added that last week's hearing with Kavanaugh underscored the need for the documents, arguing that Trump's nominee was "evasive and misleading."

Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) also offered a motion to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's time as a White House lawyer over which the Trump administration has exercised constitutional privilege, preventing them from being released to senators.

Klobuchar said it was "outrageous" that senators had not been told why the documents were being held.

"We think it's outrageous we're not even given the reason why they were withheld," she said.

Whitehouse added that lawmakers were entering "foggy and dangerous territory" on executive privilege.

"They don't even call it executive privilege. They call it something called constitutional privilege," he said. "Who the hell knows what that is? That's never been litigated before."
GLOBALIST
2018-09-13 18:19:05 UTC
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:26:18 AM UTC-5, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406485-republicans-block-democratic-bid-to-subpoena-kavanaugh-documents
>

> Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday blocked multiple efforts by Democrats to subpoena documents from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's White House tenure.
>
> Democrats tried to get the committee to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's work as a staff secretary in the George W. Bush administration, as well as more than 100,000 pages that the Trump administration asked to withhold from the panel.
>
> But both Democratic subpoena efforts were blocked in party line votes by the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold the majority.
>
> The first demand for a subpoena came from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who wanted the committee to force the National Archives to hand over Kavanaugh's staff secretary documents.
>
> Feinstein, the top Democrat on the committee, questioned what are "Republicans hiding" by not requesting the documents.
>
> "I move for the committee to authorize the issuance of a subpoena for the National Archives for records from Judge Kavanaugh's service as staff secretary in the White House from 2003 to 2006," Feinstein said.
>
> She added that last week's hearing with Kavanaugh underscored the need for the documents, arguing that Trump's nominee was "evasive and misleading."
>
> Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) also offered a motion to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's time as a White House lawyer over which the Trump administration has exercised constitutional privilege, preventing them from being released to senators.
>
> Klobuchar said it was "outrageous" that senators had not been told why the documents were being held.
>
> "We think it's outrageous we're not even given the reason why they were withheld," she said.
>
> Whitehouse added that lawmakers were entering "foggy and dangerous territory" on executive privilege.
>
> "They don't even call it executive privilege. They call it something called constitutional privilege," he said. "Who the hell knows what that is? That's never been litigated before."
=================

Rumor has it that Kavanaugh use to belong to the KKK was a childmolster
He also asked a for a black woman to be removed from his airline
aisle because she reeked of Red Man chewing tobacco
Weatherman
2018-09-13 18:43:11 UTC

More flippant stupidity form our stupid traitor.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-13 23:35:38 UTC
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:26:16 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:

>http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406485-republicans-block-democratic-bid-to-subpoena-kavanaugh-documents
>

>Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday blocked multiple efforts by Democrats to subpoena documents from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's White House tenure.
>
>Democrats tried to get the committee to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's work as a staff secretary in the George W. Bush administration, as well as more than 100,000 pages that the Trump administration asked to withhold from the panel.
>
>But both Democratic subpoena efforts were blocked in party line votes by the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold the majority.
>
>The first demand for a subpoena came from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who wanted the committee to force the National Archives to hand over Kavanaugh's staff secretary documents.
>
>Feinstein, the top Democrat on the committee, questioned what are "Republicans hiding" by not requesting the documents.
>
>"I move for the committee to authorize the issuance of a subpoena for the National Archives for records from Judge Kavanaugh's service as staff secretary in the White House from 2003 to 2006," Feinstein said.
>
>She added that last week's hearing with Kavanaugh underscored the need for the documents, arguing that Trump's nominee was "evasive and misleading."
>
>Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) also offered a motion to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's time as a White House lawyer over which the Trump administration has exercised constitutional privilege, preventing them from being released to senators.
>
>Klobuchar said it was "outrageous" that senators had not been told why the documents were being held.
>
>"We think it's outrageous we're not even given the reason why they were withheld," she said.
>
>Whitehouse added that lawmakers were entering "foggy and dangerous territory" on executive privilege.
>
>"They don't even call it executive privilege. They call it something called constitutional privilege," he said. "Who the hell knows what that is? That's never been litigated before."

It's pretty obvious why the Republicans must be holding the
documents, part of which is "because they can" and part of
which must be that such a release would be detrimental to
Kavanaugh's image, though his image seems anything but
great to me anyway. The Supreme Court will be fascist for
the foreseeable future, but I and most others in this group
won't be here to see much of it.
me
2018-09-13 23:46:50 UTC
Get a grip. Do you suppose Dems are NOT out to destroy Kavanaugh’s image? Just look at what they’re doing with Trump and his administration. You could actually see some serious social unrest before you depart this life.
mg
2018-09-14 20:23:55 UTC
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:35:38 -0700, rumpelstiltskin<***@y.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:26:16 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406485-republicans-block-democratic-bid-to-subpoena-kavanaugh-documents
>>

>>Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday blocked multiple efforts by Democrats to subpoena documents from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's White House tenure.
>>
>>Democrats tried to get the committee to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's work as a staff secretary in the George W. Bush administration, as well as more than 100,000 pages that the Trump administration asked to withhold from the panel.
>>
>>But both Democratic subpoena efforts were blocked in party line votes by the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold the majority.
>>
>>The first demand for a subpoena came from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who wanted the committee to force the National Archives to hand over Kavanaugh's staff secretary documents.
>>
>>Feinstein, the top Democrat on the committee, questioned what are "Republicans hiding" by not requesting the documents.
>>
>>"I move for the committee to authorize the issuance of a subpoena for the National Archives for records from Judge Kavanaugh's service as staff secretary in the White House from 2003 to 2006," Feinstein said.
>>
>>She added that last week's hearing with Kavanaugh underscored the need for the documents, arguing that Trump's nominee was "evasive and misleading."
>>
>>Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) also offered a motion to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's time as a White House lawyer over which the Trump administration has exercised constitutional privilege, preventing them from being released to senators.
>>
>>Klobuchar said it was "outrageous" that senators had not been told why the documents were being held.
>>
>>"We think it's outrageous we're not even given the reason why they were withheld," she said.
>>
>>Whitehouse added that lawmakers were entering "foggy and dangerous territory" on executive privilege.
>>
>>"They don't even call it executive privilege. They call it something called constitutional privilege," he said. "Who the hell knows what that is? That's never been litigated before."
>

> It's pretty obvious why the Republicans must be holding the
>documents, part of which is "because they can" and part of
>which must be that such a release would be detrimental to
>Kavanaugh's image, though his image seems anything but
>great to me anyway. The Supreme Court will be fascist for
>the foreseeable future, but I and most others in this group
>won't be here to see much of it.

America needs at least 3 things:

1. A chicken in every pot.
2. Two cars in every garage.
3. A Microphone in every politician's office.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-17 08:06:36 UTC
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:23:55 -0600, mg <***@none.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:35:38 -0700, rumpelstiltskin<***@y.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:26:16 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406485-republicans-block-democratic-bid-to-subpoena-kavanaugh-documents
>>>

>>>Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday blocked multiple efforts by Democrats to subpoena documents from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's White House tenure.
>>>
>>>Democrats tried to get the committee to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's work as a staff secretary in the George W. Bush administration, as well as more than 100,000 pages that the Trump administration asked to withhold from the panel.
>>>
>>>But both Democratic subpoena efforts were blocked in party line votes by the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold the majority.
>>>
>>>The first demand for a subpoena came from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who wanted the committee to force the National Archives to hand over Kavanaugh's staff secretary documents.
>>>
>>>Feinstein, the top Democrat on the committee, questioned what are "Republicans hiding" by not requesting the documents.
>>>
>>>"I move for the committee to authorize the issuance of a subpoena for the National Archives for records from Judge Kavanaugh's service as staff secretary in the White House from 2003 to 2006," Feinstein said.
>>>
>>>She added that last week's hearing with Kavanaugh underscored the need for the documents, arguing that Trump's nominee was "evasive and misleading."
>>>
>>>Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) also offered a motion to subpoena documents from Kavanaugh's time as a White House lawyer over which the Trump administration has exercised constitutional privilege, preventing them from being released to senators.
>>>
>>>Klobuchar said it was "outrageous" that senators had not been told why the documents were being held.
>>>
>>>"We think it's outrageous we're not even given the reason why they were withheld," she said.
>>>
>>>Whitehouse added that lawmakers were entering "foggy and dangerous territory" on executive privilege.
>>>
>>>"They don't even call it executive privilege. They call it something called constitutional privilege," he said. "Who the hell knows what that is? That's never been litigated before."
>>

>> It's pretty obvious why the Republicans must be holding the
>>documents, part of which is "because they can" and part of
>>which must be that such a release would be detrimental to
>>Kavanaugh's image, though his image seems anything but
>>great to me anyway. The Supreme Court will be fascist for
>>the foreseeable future, but I and most others in this group
>>won't be here to see much of it.
>>

>America needs at least 3 things:
>
>1. A chicken in every pot.

Except for General Tso's and other sweet-
battered Chinese chicken dishes, I don't care
for chicken.

>2. Two cars in every garage.

I have no garage, and as of last Monday
just past, I have no car, which is already such
a relief! Of course, if I lived in B******k
Montana, I'd be in dire straits without a car,
but I live in what is said to be the easiest
city in the USA to live in with no car.

Absolutely!
islander
2018-09-17 14:14:16 UTC
On 9/17/2018 1:06 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
> I have no garage, and as of last Monday
> just past, I have no car, which is already such
> a relief! Of course, if I lived in B******k
> Montana, I'd be in dire straits without a car,
> but I live in what is said to be the easiest
> city in the USA to live in with no car.

Did you mention that before? If so, I missed it. Congratulations, that
has got to be a relief.

What finally made you decide to cut the cord of dependence on a car?
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-17 15:52:04 UTC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:14:16 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:

>On 9/17/2018 1:06 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
>> I have no garage, and as of last Monday
>> just past, I have no car, which is already such
>> a relief! Of course, if I lived in B******k
>> Montana, I'd be in dire straits without a car,
>> but I live in what is said to be the easiest
>> city in the USA to live in with no car.
>
>Did you mention that before? If so, I missed it. Congratulations, that
>has got to be a relief.
>
>What finally made you decide to cut the cord of dependence on a car?

It only happened last week. I got the clutch
replaced and then shortly later it dropped to
the floor at an intersection, leaving me stuck
in the middle lane of a five-lane carriageway
(fortunately not a freeway). That was the
last straw.

Unfortunately there is no public transit to
Costco except for one bus that doesn't run
often, and putting as much as I buy from
Costco is not practical with a bus anyway,
so I expect I'll be eating out a lot more.

This would be impossible in most cities.

I also got a cell phone but I'm not sure
how that will work out. I have Consumer
Cellular as my carrier. The first period
(month?) I racked up 323 minutes. I find
that impossible to believe, but Consumer
Cellular is essentially unreachable by
telephone. When I looked at this month's
usage earlier it was 455 minutes, which is
7 hours on the telephone. If I ever spent
455 hours on the telephone it would drive
me so crazy I'd be out on the street
shooting people. So I know their usage
figures are wildly inaccurate. I can't see
how much the usage has gone up since
then because the automated beginning of
the help line can no longer see my number.
The first month's 323 minutes were enough
to kick me up to the "unlimited" plan which
is only $5 more (if I can trust that), but
the taxes are three times as high as
Verizon's (yet another thing fishy about
Consumer Cellular).

Their customer service can involve wait
times of a half hour or more (much more),
so it's essentially unusable. Even when
they finally answer, they don't have much
helpful to say. I'll see what happens when
the next bill comes in. Judging from past
performance, I wouldn't be at all surprised
if they say I've used more hours on my
one cell phone than there are hours in a
month.

Free enterprise was never one of my
big loves, but it seems to be getting
worse and worse.
islander
2018-09-17 16:13:22 UTC
On 9/17/2018 8:52 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:14:16 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/17/2018 1:06 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
>>> I have no garage, and as of last Monday
>>> just past, I have no car, which is already such
>>> a relief! Of course, if I lived in B******k
>>> Montana, I'd be in dire straits without a car,
>>> but I live in what is said to be the easiest
>>> city in the USA to live in with no car.
>>
>> Did you mention that before? If so, I missed it. Congratulations, that
>> has got to be a relief.
>>
>> What finally made you decide to cut the cord of dependence on a car?
>

> It only happened last week. I got the clutch
> replaced and then shortly later it dropped to
> the floor at an intersection, leaving me stuck
> in the middle lane of a five-lane carriageway
> (fortunately not a freeway). That was the
> last straw.
>
> Unfortunately there is no public transit to
> Costco except for one bus that doesn't run
> often, and putting as much as I buy from
> Costco is not practical with a bus anyway,
> so I expect I'll be eating out a lot more.
>
> This would be impossible in most cities.
>
> I also got a cell phone but I'm not sure
> how that will work out. I have Consumer
> Cellular as my carrier. The first period
> (month?) I racked up 323 minutes. I find
> that impossible to believe, but Consumer
> Cellular is essentially unreachable by
> telephone. When I looked at this month's
> usage earlier it was 455 minutes, which is
> 7 hours on the telephone. If I ever spent
> 455 hours on the telephone it would drive
> me so crazy I'd be out on the street
> shooting people. So I know their usage
> figures are wildly inaccurate. I can't see
> how much the usage has gone up since
> then because the automated beginning of
> the help line can no longer see my number.
> The first month's 323 minutes were enough
> to kick me up to the "unlimited" plan which
> is only $5 more (if I can trust that), but
> the taxes are three times as high as
> Verizon's (yet another thing fishy about
> Consumer Cellular).
>
> Their customer service can involve wait
> times of a half hour or more (much more),
> so it's essentially unusable. Even when
> they finally answer, they don't have much
> helpful to say. I'll see what happens when
> the next bill comes in. Judging from past
> performance, I wouldn't be at all surprised
> if they say I've used more hours on my
> one cell phone than there are hours in a
> month.
>
> Free enterprise was never one of my
> big loves, but it seems to be getting
> worse and worse.

You might check to see if the GPS function on your cell phone is
enabled. If so, it may be cranking up minutes by frequently checking
for your location, what is close to you, etc. This is just a guess, but
I cannot imagine why you would want to have that functionality enabled.
You are not likely to get lost and need directions in San Francisco.

I infrequently use a cell phone now and have an account with Consumer
Cellular. I've been pretty happy with them, but haven't had to
interface with customer service, at least not yet. The biggest problem
that I have had is getting the Verison apps disabled - the previous
owner had a Verison account. These companies stoop to new lows to keep
you trapped in their service.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-17 18:37:32 UTC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 09:13:22 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:

>On 9/17/2018 8:52 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:

>>> Did you mention that before? If so, I missed it. Congratulations, that
>>> has got to be a relief.
>>>
>>> What finally made you decide to cut the cord of dependence on a car?
>>

>> It only happened last week. I got the clutch
>> replaced and then shortly later it dropped to
>> the floor at an intersection, leaving me stuck
>> in the middle lane of a five-lane carriageway
>> (fortunately not a freeway). That was the
>> last straw.
>>
>> Unfortunately there is no public transit to
>> Costco except for one bus that doesn't run
>> often, and putting as much as I buy from
>> Costco is not practical with a bus anyway,
>> so I expect I'll be eating out a lot more.
>>
>> This would be impossible in most cities.
>>
>> I also got a cell phone but I'm not sure
>> how that will work out. I have Consumer
>> Cellular as my carrier. The first period
>> (month?) I racked up 323 minutes. I find
>> that impossible to believe, but Consumer
>> Cellular is essentially unreachable by
>> telephone. When I looked at this month's
>> usage earlier it was 455 minutes, which is
>> 7 hours on the telephone. If I ever spent
>> 455 hours on the telephone it would drive
>> me so crazy I'd be out on the street
>> shooting people. So I know their usage
>> figures are wildly inaccurate. I can't see
>> how much the usage has gone up since
>> then because the automated beginning of
>> the help line can no longer see my number.
>> The first month's 323 minutes were enough
>> to kick me up to the "unlimited" plan which
>> is only $5 more (if I can trust that), but
>> the taxes are three times as high as
>> Verizon's (yet another thing fishy about
>> Consumer Cellular).
>>
>> Their customer service can involve wait
>> times of a half hour or more (much more),
>> so it's essentially unusable. Even when
>> they finally answer, they don't have much
>> helpful to say. I'll see what happens when
>> the next bill comes in. Judging from past
>> performance, I wouldn't be at all surprised
>> if they say I've used more hours on my
>> one cell phone than there are hours in a
>> month.
>>
>> Free enterprise was never one of my
>> big loves, but it seems to be getting
>> worse and worse.
>>
>You might check to see if the GPS function on your cell phone is
>enabled. If so, it may be cranking up minutes by frequently checking
>for your location, what is close to you, etc. This is just a guess, but
>I cannot imagine why you would want to have that functionality enabled.
>You are not likely to get lost and need directions in San Francisco.
>
>I infrequently use a cell phone now and have an account with Consumer
>Cellular. I've been pretty happy with them, but haven't had to
>interface with customer service, at least not yet. The biggest problem
>that I have had is getting the Verison apps disabled - the previous
>owner had a Verison account. These companies stoop to new lows to keep
>you trapped in their service.

The manual is only a dozen pages long and is almost
completely incomprehensible to me. There's no index
or table of contents. I just went to "bluetooth" and
clicked it, but that turned it "on" so I guess it was "off"
before, so I switched it back. There's an "airplane
mode" whatever that is, but it's "off" so I'll leave it "off".

There are also "Call settings":
DTMV tones (whatever they are) I don't want any tones.
Call Waiting: I guess that means I'm on the phone
waiting for somebody or they're on the phone
waiting for me: I don't want it.
Caller ID (show number): I don't want it. I have a
call-log which shows the name of anybody who
calls me if they're in my phone book. If they're
not, it shows me the first few digits but not the
last two, which are replaced by dots, so the
whole number is not immediately visible. I just
clicked to see who it might be, but I got a
message that there was no such number,
followed by options including "hear my usage".
When I pressed for that, I got a message that
there was no available usage, which is what
I've been getting lately when I check usage
other ways, though I can make calls.
There's "Wap push" but I'm not going to mess
with that because some Italians are dangerous.
Settings: Personalization, including sound, display,
notices, Date&Time, Language, Input methods.
If I were a gorilla, I could input with my toes.
Answer mode: Flip open to answer On. Since the
possibilities are "On" and "Off", I guess that
can be turned off, but in that case I don't know
how I could make or answer calls.
There's a camera which I've tried out and it does
work but I haven't used it beyond that.

There's a "messages" which apparently I can get
even though I don't have "text", but I don't know
if I can send "text" without being switched to a
"data" plan, or if that even would be a switch..

There's an alarm that I'll never use, and a
gallery that I'll never use, and a video that I'll
likely never use, and a calendar to which I
have referred because I often don't know what
day it is, not having any obligations such as
working or parole board hearings.

Well, time to go out. There's a tiny hole-in-
the-wall restaurant along the walk to downtown,
next to the freeway, that advertises itself as the
best of something. I've been curious about it for
a while but I'm leery of new stuff so I haven't
tried it yet.
islander
2018-09-18 01:34:27 UTC
On 9/17/2018 11:37 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
> [...]
> can be turned off, but in that case I don't know
> how I could make or answer calls.
> There's a camera which I've tried out and it does
> work but I haven't used it beyond that.
>
> There's a "messages" which apparently I can get
> even though I don't have "text", but I don't know
> if I can send "text" without being switched to a
> "data" plan, or if that even would be a switch..
>
> There's an alarm that I'll never use, and a
> gallery that I'll never use, and a video that I'll
> likely never use, and a calendar to which I
> have referred because I often don't know what
> day it is, not having any obligations such as
> working or parole board hearings.
>
> Well, time to go out. There's a tiny hole-in-
> the-wall restaurant along the walk to downtown,
> next to the freeway, that advertises itself as the
> best of something. I've been curious about it for
> a while but I'm leery of new stuff so I haven't

I'm assuming that you are not using an iPhone by Apple, so it is
probably uses Andriod as an operating system. Here is a link that tells
how to turn the GPS off.
Note that it confirms my suspicion that it may be responsible for your
excessive use of minutes.
islander
2018-09-18 01:49:03 UTC
On 9/17/2018 6:34 PM, islander wrote:
> [...]
>> "data" plan, or if that even would be a switch..
>>
>>     There's an alarm that I'll never use, and a
>> gallery that I'll never use, and a video that I'll
>> likely never use, and a calendar to which I
>> have referred because I often don't know what
>> day it is, not having any obligations such as
>> working or parole board hearings.
>>
>>     Well, time to go out.  There's a tiny hole-in-
>> the-wall restaurant along the walk to downtown,
>> next to the freeway, that advertises itself as the
>> best of something.  I've been curious about it for
>> a while but I'm leery of new stuff so I haven't
>> tried it yet.
>>
> I'm assuming that you are not using an iPhone by Apple, so it is
> probably uses Andriod as an operating system.  Here is a link that tells
> how to turn the GPS off.
> Note that it confirms my suspicion that it may be responsible for your

I forgot to include the link:
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/turn-off-gps-cell-phone-21147.html
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-18 04:14:36 UTC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:49:03 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:

>On 9/17/2018 6:34 PM, islander wrote:

>>>    The manual is only a dozen pages long and is almost
>>> completely incomprehensible to me.   There's no index
>>> or table of contents.  I just went to "bluetooth" and
>>> clicked it, but that turned it "on" so I guess it was "off"
>>> before, so I switched it back.   There's an "airplane
>>> mode" whatever that is, but it's "off" so I'll leave it "off".
>>>
>>> There are also "Call settings":
>>>      DTMV tones (whatever they are) I don't want any tones.
>>>      Call Waiting: I guess that means I'm on the phone
>>>          waiting for somebody or they're on the phone
>>>          waiting for me: I don't want it.
>>>       Caller ID (show number): I don't want it.  I have a
>>>           call-log which shows the name of anybody who
>>>           calls me if they're in my phone book.  If they're
>>>           not, it shows me the first few digits but not the
>>>           last two, which are replaced by dots, so the
>>>           whole number is not immediately visible.  I just
>>>           clicked to see who it might be, but I got a
>>>           message that there was no such number,
>>>           followed by options including "hear my usage".
>>>           When I pressed for that, I got a message that
>>>           there was no available usage, which is what
>>>           I've been getting lately when I check usage
>>>           other ways, though I can make calls.
>>>       There's "Wap push" but I'm not going to mess
>>>           with that because some Italians are dangerous.
>>>       Settings: Personalization, including sound, display,
>>>           notices, Date&Time, Language, Input methods.
>>>           If I were a gorilla, I could input with my toes.
>>>       Answer mode: Flip open to answer On.  Since the
>>>           possibilities are "On" and "Off", I guess that
>>>           can be turned off, but in that case I don't know
>>>           how I could make or answer calls.
>>>     There's a camera which I've tried out and it does
>>>           work but I haven't used it beyond that.
>>>
>>>     There's a "messages" which apparently I can get
>>> even though I don't have "text", but I don't know
>>> if I can send "text" without being switched to a
>>> "data" plan, or if that even would be a switch..
>>>
>>>     There's an alarm that I'll never use, and a
>>> gallery that I'll never use, and a video that I'll
>>> likely never use, and a calendar to which I
>>> have referred because I often don't know what
>>> day it is, not having any obligations such as
>>> working or parole board hearings.
>>>
>>>     Well, time to go out.  There's a tiny hole-in-
>>> the-wall restaurant along the walk to downtown,
>>> next to the freeway, that advertises itself as the
>>> best of something.  I've been curious about it for
>>> a while but I'm leery of new stuff so I haven't
>>> tried it yet.
>>>
>> I'm assuming that you are not using an iPhone by Apple, so it is
>> probably uses Andriod as an operating system.  Here is a link that tells
>> how to turn the GPS off.
>> Note that it confirms my suspicion that it may be responsible for your
>> excessive use of minutes.
>>
>I forgot to include the link:
>https://traveltips.usatoday.com/turn-off-gps-cell-phone-21147.html

My phone is not an iphone, so I guess I don't have that.
I also see that the iphone has both apps AND drawers,
and that's just too much for me, man. My "settings" also
doesn't have a "privacy" tab so that's one less thing to
worry about. I don't know how people can go on from
day to day these days without eventually screaming and
jumping out the window.

I checked minutes this morning, and I only had one
minute. It was the beginning of a new period. I just
tried calling that number again but it came back
"unknown".
rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-18 02:04:19 UTC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:34:27 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> "data" plan, or if that even would be a switch..
>>
>> There's an alarm that I'll never use, and a
>> gallery that I'll never use, and a video that I'll
>> likely never use, and a calendar to which I
>> have referred because I often don't know what
>> day it is, not having any obligations such as
>> working or parole board hearings.
>>
>> Well, time to go out. There's a tiny hole-in-
>> the-wall restaurant along the walk to downtown,
>> next to the freeway, that advertises itself as the
>> best of something. I've been curious about it for
>> a while but I'm leery of new stuff so I haven't
>> tried it yet.
>>

>I'm assuming that you are not using an iPhone by Apple, so it is
>probably uses Andriod as an operating system. Here is a link that tells
>how to turn the GPS off.
>Note that it confirms my suspicion that it may be responsible for your

It's a "Consumer Cellular", and you left out the link.
If there were a GPS function, I would have thought
it would be in settings. I don't think it has GPS, but
I could be wrong - it does, for example, know what
time it is locally. It's not a "smartphone". I bought
it for less than $30 at Target.

Is a "message" the same thing as "text"?
Supposedly I don't have "text" but my dentist's office
keeps sending me short messages that say "Please
Reply", and it looks like I could do that.
b***@gmail.com
2018-09-17 18:49:28 UTC
On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 8:52:04 AM UTC-7, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:14:16 -0700, islander <***@priracy.com> wrote:
>
> >On 9/17/2018 1:06 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:
> >> I have no garage, and as of last Monday
> >> just past, I have no car, which is already such
> >> a relief! Of course, if I lived in B******k
> >> Montana, I'd be in dire straits without a car,
> >> but I live in what is said to be the easiest
> >> city in the USA to live in with no car.
> >
> >Did you mention that before? If so, I missed it. Congratulations, that
> >has got to be a relief.
> >
> >What finally made you decide to cut the cord of dependence on a car?
>

> It only happened last week. I got the clutch
> replaced and then shortly later it dropped to
> the floor at an intersection, leaving me stuck
> in the middle lane of a five-lane carriageway
> (fortunately not a freeway). That was the
> last straw.
>
> Unfortunately there is no public transit to
> Costco except for one bus that doesn't run
> often, and putting as much as I buy from
> Costco is not practical with a bus anyway,
> so I expect I'll be eating out a lot more.

How do you manage to shop at Costco without buying a ton of stuff? I didn't think they had anything in small quantities. Do you buy a big quantity that will last for a long time? I once had a neighbor who would drive his car across the street to buy a 12 pack of beer. I guess he didn't want to walk across the street holding a 12 pack. He also shopped at Costco and would buy 5 cases of beer and store them in his bedroom. But he got a good deal since he was buying so much.

rumpelstiltskin
2018-09-17 22:26:02 UTC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:49:28 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com
<snip>

I used to, but I won't be able to do that anymore unless I rent
from something like "ZIPCAR" for a day or a few hours. There's
a ZIPCAR corral just a couple of blocks from me. I don't like the
cars: they're too big for me, and they're doubtless automatic
transmission. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. At the
moment I have two boxes of kittilitr that most women couldn't
lift, so I'll be good in that department for three months or so.

<snip>