What Do You Remember About Your Childhood ?
2017-11-12 12:53:24 UTC
This is an interesting and entertaining quiz about the things us Baby Boomers experienced
as children.

I missed five out of the 35.

Do You Know What Only Baby Boomers Remember?

http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/do-you-know-what-only-baby-boomers-remember?mkcpgn
GLOBALIST
I missed 5 also
Jack Fate
I got them all right.
Tzatz Ziki
2017-12-05 15:55:54 UTC
d***@gmail.com
2017-12-05 17:13:17 UTC
I was born in 1936, well before WW II. How wonderful it was when TheWar ended. Peace at last. No more war.

Eugene FitzAubrey
GLOBALIST
2017-12-05 19:07:50 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
I was born in 1936, well before WW II. How wonderful it was when TheWar ended. Peace at last. No more war.
Eugene FitzAubrey
==============================

However I just heard that there is such thing as "infantile
amnesia"
We are somehow wired to not remember events as
a baby or as a toddler. We think we do, because of all
the baby pictures and things our relatives tell us.
islander
2017-12-05 23:37:43 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
I was born in 1936, well before WW II. How wonderful it was when TheWar ended. Peace at last. No more war.
Eugene FitzAubrey
I remember that, but I was very young. My brothers fought in the
Pacific and they didn't make it back home until 1946. I remember their
optimism. They fought so that we could put war behind us and they
looked forward to raising families during a time of peace. They had had
enough of war.

What my brothers failed to realize was what Ike warned us about in his
last year in office - the military/industrial complex. The Cold War
gave this nation an excuse to continue spending on the military and the
sequence of small wars since then gave us an excuse to stop the Red
Menace.

Both of my brothers continued to support Republican administrations
because they believed in the leadership role that the US played in the
early '40s and they believed that we could and should continue in that
role. They never understood that we were making the rest of the "free
world" dependent on us and that that was an intentional policy.

How long can we continue to be the military power that dominates the
world? How long before we bankrupt ourselves with military expenditures
like so many empires before?
Emily
2017-12-06 01:09:41 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
[...]
Haven't we essentially bankrupted ourselves already? Isn't the debt
in the astronomical range?

The pie charts of the government expenditures that I've seen show
about 50% military, or "defense". I'm for letting someone else carry
the ball for a while. In reality, what skin is it off our noses if
more of the world goes communist?

Oh, hell, it's hopeless. The third world is brimming with unemployed,
uneducated young males just dying to die for a cause. Let Russia cope
with them. I wish we'd had sense enough to keep our hands of
Afghanistan instead of helping the riff-raff run the Russians off.
What possible benefit can we ever hope to gain in Afghanistan, aptly
named the graveyard of empires.
islander
2017-12-06 15:35:48 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
Post by d***@gmail.com
[...]
We have carried larger debt, and as long as there is confidence in the
US dollar, the interest rates continue to be low, so we can afford it.
The problem is in how we manage our budget. Our tax code favors the
wealthy so strongly that we have skewed our economics in short term
gains for the wealthy. Now Trump and the Republicans in Congress are in
the process of making it even worse. Then, what we spend money on goes
to feed the Defense budget while abandoning the people who actually do
the work. Our infrastructure is crumbling and conservative governments
cannot seem to find the courage to deal with it.
Post by Emily
The pie charts of the government expenditures that I've seen show
about 50% military, or "defense". I'm for letting someone else carry
the ball for a while. In reality, what skin is it off our noses if
more of the world goes communist?
That would be for the discretionary part of the budget. Unfortunately,
we cannot simply abandon the rest of the world after making them
dependent on us, so there has to be a transition. I would be in favor
of a transition to a much bigger State department while phasing out our
dependence on military power as our primary means of foreign diplomacy.
We cannot exist as an island. But, we have to learn how to play well
with the rest of the world. Trump has really seriously damaged any
progress in that direction.

What we need more than anything else are stable governments around the
world. That is not likely to happen as long as the public is exploited,
be it by extremes of government, whether that be communist or capitalist.
Post by Emily
Oh, hell, it's hopeless. The third world is brimming with unemployed,
uneducated young males just dying to die for a cause. Let Russia cope
with them. I wish we'd had sense enough to keep our hands of
Afghanistan instead of helping the riff-raff run the Russians off.
What possible benefit can we ever hope to gain in Afghanistan, aptly
named the graveyard of empires.
I don't think that Russia has the resources to deal with the third
world. China is more likely to fill power vacuums, IMV. They seem to
be doing a better job than anyone in striking a balance between
communism and capitalism. Russia is corrupt to the core, much more of a
kleptocratic government than any other with the possible exception of
some of the Arab or Persian states. That is not likely to be stable and
political instability there would be like Syria on steroids!
d***@gmail.com
2017-12-06 15:48:06 UTC
This is an interesting and entertaining quiz about the things us Baby Boomers experienced
as children.
I missed five out of the 35.
Do You Know What Only Baby Boomers Remember?
http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/do-you-know-what-only-baby-boomers-remember?mkcpgn
I missed 5 also
I got them all right.
I got them all wrong, Jack.

Gary
2017-11-13 13:14:11 UTC
BTW, Let me be honest. I enjoyed the quiz but ----- I am not a Baby Boomer. Boomers
were born starting after WW2 in 1946. I was born during that great conflict.
Jack Fate
True, you're not a boomer. How old are you?
bill bowden
2017-12-06 07:56:04 UTC
Post by Emily
Haven't we essentially bankrupted ourselves already? Isn't the debt
in the astronomical range?
The pie charts of the government expenditures that I've seen show
bout 50% military, or "defense". I'm for letting someone else carry
the ball for a while. In reality, what skin is it off our noses if
more of the world goes communist?
You probably mean 50% of the discretionary budget. The actual defense budget out of the entire budget is only 15%

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/analysis/2016/presidents-2017-budget-in-pictures/