Dan Rather: Trump Has Had The ‘Worst Start’ Of Any U.S. President Ever
Lawrence Akutagawa
2017-03-27 20:00:37 UTC
As many here know, I am not at all a devotee of Facebook (as some...eg, the
Village Idiot...are). So it was a surprise to me to see a Facebook
reference/link in an USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/03/27/dan-rather-on-the-trump-presidency/99692316/

That reference/link when clicked led to the Facebook entry here by Dan
Rather:

https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/posts/10158413677615716

We're roughly two months into the Trump Presidency, and it is the worst
start to a time in office I have ever seen. I am not alone in this
conclusion.

Many Presidential scholars are saying it’s the worst start of any Presidency
in the history of the country.

Now William Henry Harrison in 1841 talked too long in the cold of his
inauguration. He caught pneumonia and died a month later. So, yes, I suppose
you could say that his time was worse.

Rutherford B. Hayes had a tough time taking over in his first and only term
(1877) after a convulsive, controversial election by the House. But worse
than President Trump’s first months? Doubtful at best.

Abraham Lincoln had a terrible time at the beginning—states withdrawing from
the Union, civil war beginning and early political mistakes. But he was
laying the groundwork for his becoming one of the best, most important
Presidents ever. Is Trump, in a different time and in different ways, laying
such groundwork? Well, there may be people who will argue he is. But given
present evidence, that’s not likely to become a widely held opinion.

So after two tumultuous, chaotic and in many ways outrageous months (an
embarrassing defeat on ACA repeal, the deepening Russia probe, the striking
down of the travel ban) where do we stand? Where does all of this go?

It's important to talk about where we are politically - who is winning and
losing, in the Administration, Congress, and the national and local
political classes. But I am much more concerned about Where we stand as a
people is in a potentially dangerous, very dangerous place. A weak President
running a weak, ragtag administration is a prescription for trouble.

Trouble internationally could come from enemies and other competitors who
may see opportunities for advantage and overreach. Trouble internally could
easily come from a worried, divided nation, and opportunistic ideologues and
politicians who try to exploit the situation.

But, before you get too downcast if not outright depressed about this, keep
in mind that we Americans still stand united about core principles. Such as
a rock-hard commitment to The Constitution and to the concept of America as
a new (historically) idea, the idea of a free people constantly striving for
a better nation through a representative government—and trying, ever trying,
to achieve liberty and justice for all citizens. I also think the defeat of
Trumpcare this past week is proof most Americans see a role of government to
provide social welfare to our fellow citizens. Over the course of our
history we have seen that role on a march of expansion with no significant
reversals.

The core of our union—the union of our states and the union of our people as
regards core principles—is holding. We see the wisdom of our framer's
dividing power into different branches of government. The separation of
powers is holding, but stresses that could lead to cracks are increasing.I
worry of a growing national forgetfulness about one of the favorite saying
of our forefathers and mothers…”United We Stand, Divided We Fall." We forget
it at our peril.
GLOBALIST
2017-03-27 22:57:01 UTC
Post by Lawrence Akutagawa
[...]
For Trump being a non-politician and trying to work in a system
that is clogged up with politicians, he is doing pretty damned
good job. "Draining the swamp" is not an easy job and dragging
up dead bodies is not pretty. The dead bodies of Pelosi etc.
Lawrence Akutagawa
2017-03-27 23:47:24 UTC
Post by Lawrence Akutagawa
[...]

***** This line separates my response from the foregoing ******

umm..Village Idiot - whatever excuses you drag up, however you rant and
rage, to whatever mea culpa you point - the bottom line, indisputable, clear
as can be honest fact is that The Whining Donald is doing an absolute
horrible job as POSTUS...much as you the Village Idiot do with your horribly
horrible English.

Where, Village Idiot, are all these abilities of his about which he The
Whining Donald endlessly bragged during his campaign? Specfically -
- where is that superb negotiating skill of his such that he could
have...and clearly did not...used within his very own party?
- where is that much touted deal making skill of his so evidently missing
when dealing with members of his very own party?
- where is that magnificent unifying ability of his so clearly missing such
that the Republican is more openly divided that it has ever been?
- where is that leadership quality that he The Whining Donald has yet not
even exhibited?
- where in both his immigration bans is that attention to detail that
characterizes any good business plan/project?
- where in the delivery of the GOP healthcare plan was the planning and
studied approach found in any good business plan/project?

Do you yourself, Village Idiot, still believe in those resounding words of
The Whining Donald after just a bit more than two months? You know:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/trump-rnc-speech-alone-fix-it/492557/
"I Alone Can Fix It"

ummm...exactly how well is The Whining Donald fixing things so far, Village
Idiot?

Wake up, smell the coffee, and face it Village Idiot - in The Whining Donald
we the American people have a wonderfully talented entertainer - a veritable
clown - entertaining any and all, foreign and domestic! And all this
entertainment - this circus - this zoo - comes from the electoral college
and folks like you the Village Idiot! Many thanks for the fun filled
entertainment, Village Idiot and the Village idiot ilk!

Better yet, Village Idiot, should you at all disagree with the points made
by Dan Rather in his comments, do identify those points and provide
verifiable substantiation to support your disagreement.

Please clarify, Village Idiot.

And of course the Village Idiot will yet again perform for us his
Intellectual Coward ploy to run away again from the issue, of course with
his tail most majestically on display between his legs, back into that deep
dark dreaded hole of his under his rock!