Trump asked aides why the U.S. couldn't invade Venezuela
w***@gmail.com
2018-07-06 14:20:36 UTC
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820

According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-07-06 18:08:50 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
islander
2018-07-06 18:46:34 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige. It is true that opposition violence against Maduro is
increasing, but I think that we agree that the citizens of Venezuela are
fed up and have a right to oust a brutal dictator.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-07-07 04:55:49 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige. It is true that opposition violence against Maduro is
increasing, but I think that we agree that the citizens of Venezuela are
fed up and have a right to oust a brutal dictator.
I didn't even recognize the name Nicolas Maduro, so I had
to look him up. I don't know anything about him or how he
came to power (and I wouldn't believe anything the official
US line says about it). I know the Venezuelans liked Chavez,
and I did too, but I lost interest in Venezuela after he died.

As is often noted, when one lies habitually, eventually
nobody believes anything one says.

I also liked Allende in Chile very much, and I strongly
suspect the USA had something, probably a lot, to do with
his murder and the installation of the Pinochet military
dictatorship in his place. And that wasn't Trump. The
USA has a history of supporting brutal dictators, starting at
least with Batista in Cuba. Need I mention Oliver North
and the US government's participation in the horrors in
El Salvador, all to "save the world from communism"?
El Castor
2018-07-07 06:09:35 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige.
Please seek professional help.
islander
2018-07-07 14:23:43 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige.
Please seek professional help.
Are you saying that we *should* use military intervention in Venezuela
to support Madura?
El Castor
2018-07-07 20:00:35 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige.
Please seek professional help.
Are you saying that we *should* use military intervention in Venezuela
to support Madura?
Huh? No!!! What is wrong with you?? I am saying that anyone who would
post the following words may have a screw loose ...

"Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception.
If keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would
like to oblige."
It is true that opposition violence against Maduro is
increasing, but I think that we agree that the citizens of Venezuela are
fed up and have a right to oust a brutal dictator.
"Today, I have taken action to prevent the Maduro regime from
conducting “fire sales,” liquidating Venezuela’s critical
assets—assets the country will need to rebuild its economy. This
money belongs to the Venezuelan people.
I have signed an Executive Order to prevent the Maduro regime from
selling or collateralizing certain Venezuelan financial assets, and to
prohibit the regime from earning money from the sale of certain
entities of the Venezuelan government.
The United States remains committed to the Venezuelan people, who have
suffered immensely under the Maduro regime. We call for the Maduro
regime to restore democracy, hold free and fair elections, release all
political prisoners immediately and unconditionally, and end the
repression and economic deprivation of the Venezuelan people."
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-maduro-regime-venezuela/

"Trump calls on Venezuela's Maduro to 'restore democracy'"
"“We call for the Maduro regime to restore democracy, hold free and
fair elections, release all political prisoners immediately and
unconditionally, and end the repression and economic deprivation of
the Venezuelan people,” Trump said in a statement."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-usa-trump/trump-calls-on-venezuelas-maduro-to-restore-democracy-idUSKCN1IM2D4

"Trump joins world leaders condemning Maduro's re-election in
Venezuela"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-maduro-venezuela-election-20180521-story.html

"Trump signs third executive order targeting Maduro regime in
Venezuela"
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-signs-third-executive-order-targeting-maduro-regime-in-venezuela
islander
Then why is Trump considering military options?
El Castor
2018-07-08 06:43:24 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
I don't believe he is, but if he was, it would clearly be to kick out
Maduro. Only a loon would argue otherwise.
islander
2018-07-08 13:46:38 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
This seems to be a familiar modus operandi for Trump. Threaten military
action and then become best friends with the tyrant. It is a strategy
based on creating a crisis that he subsequently gets credit for solving.
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/6/17536908/trump-venezuela-invade-military

This guy is dangerous!
El Castor
2018-07-08 19:12:43 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
You talking about yourself, or Trump?

"Say Hello to Full Employment
Want to know where the economy is headed? Look at Des Moines."
"This morning, the Labor Department announced that the national
unemployment rate ticked up to 4 percent in June for good reasons, as
hundreds of thousands more Americans sought work. For the first time
in recorded history, the number of job openings is higher than the
number of people looking for a job. "
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/07/hello-full-employment/564527/
b***@gmail.com
Buy Amazon. It's up 70% in less than a year.
El Castor
Diversify and get rich slowly. (-8
islander
When the labor participation rate improves, let me know.
El Castor
2018-07-09 06:35:51 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
OK -- I'm letting you know.

July 6 --
"Turning to the household data, the headline unemployment rate
unexpectedly rose to 4% from 3.8%. This was mostly thanks to a gain in
the denominator of the unemployment equation - the labor force grew by
601K, bringing the labor force participation rate to 62.9% from
62.7%."
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3368320-labor-force-participation-leads-big-jump-unemployment-rate
islander
2018-07-09 14:56:31 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
The labor participation rate before 2009 was 66%. Are you really
crowing about a tiny change from 62.7% to 62.9%. We saw it increase to
63.0% in 2016. Variability within a few tenths of a percent is in the
noise.
El Castor
2018-07-09 17:53:46 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Now, now, be patient. You asked me to let you know when the
participation rate improved, and I did. Trump has given us some of the
lowest unemployment numbers in history. The labor force participation
rate will require time. Favorable tax and regulation policy are
producing results, and control of the borders should also be quite
helpful.

"For the first time in at least a generation, government figures show
a larger number of open jobs (6.7 million) than people out of work and
looking for a position (6.3 million)."
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/more-open-jobs-available-workers-who-will-fill-positions-n882286
islander
2018-07-09 20:19:38 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Alternatively, perhaps we are just seeing the continuation of the
recovery from the Great Recession. At least, Trump hasn't screwed it up
...yet! How do you like what he is doing on tariffs? Would your
economics professor at Berkeley have flunked Trump?
El Castor
2018-07-10 07:35:19 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Even Josh shut you down on that argument.
Post by islander
At least, Trump hasn't screwed it up
...yet! How do you like what he is doing on tariffs? Would your
economics professor at Berkeley have flunked Trump?
They would have been delighted with his corporate tax cuts. As for
tariffs, the situation is complex. It seems that the US has been taken
advantage of in many ways -- tariffs and VATs on our exports, and in
the case of China, Chinese companies that our corporations employed as
manufacturers have stolen our intellectual property and overnight
become competitors. Trump is the first to acknowledge those issues,
and good for him. At any rate, our economy is thriving.
islander
2018-07-10 14:33:25 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Josh and I disagreed, but my experience has been that the economy is
like an aircraft carrier. It takes a long time to change direction.

But, never mind. I'll be happy to blame Trump when the Republicans once
again tank the economy as they are inclined to do. :)
At least, Trump hasn't screwed it up
...yet! How do you like what he is doing on tariffs? Would your
economics professor at Berkeley have flunked Trump?
They would have been delighted with his corporate tax cuts. As for
tariffs, the situation is complex. It seems that the US has been taken
advantage of in many ways -- tariffs and VATs on our exports, and in
the case of China, Chinese companies that our corporations employed as
manufacturers have stolen our intellectual property and overnight
become competitors. Trump is the first to acknowledge those issues,
and good for him. At any rate, our economy is thriving.
That sounds like you have gone soft on tariffs. Your Berkeley professor
would be disappointed.
El Castor
2018-07-10 17:38:25 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Personally, I have a wait and see attitude on tariffs. I suspect much
of the bluster is strategic and will not end in significant tariffs.
Too bad my professor isn't around to ask. As I explained, he did favor
some tariffs.

Your concern for the economy is touching, however considering the
state of hysterical Trump hatred on the Left, it is all I could
expect.

Josh Rosenbluth
2018-07-07 14:50:20 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige.
Please seek professional help.
I'm not sure if Trump likes Maduro, but he does like Putin, Xi, Erdogan,
Duterte, el-Sisi and now Kim.
El Castor
2018-07-07 20:11:46 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by w***@gmail.com
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/one-more-thing-trump-asked-aides-why-the-u-s-couldn-t-invade-venezuela-1270919235820
According to a report by the Associated Press, last August Donald Trump repeatedly spoke a of a potential U.S. "military option" in Venezuela to his top aides as well as leaders from Latin American ally countries.
I don't know why the USA has its panties in such
a twist about Venezuela. Can't a country choose
its own destiny? I guess not, at least not according
to the USA or the EU.
Trump likes strongman dictators and Nicolas Maduro is no exception. If
keeping him in power requires US military intervention, Trump would like
to oblige.
Please seek professional help.
I'm not sure if Trump likes Maduro, but he does like Putin, Xi, Erdogan,
Duterte, el-Sisi and now Kim.
Please refer to my reply to Islander. Trump does NOT like Maduro --
which should be obvious to anyone with a brain larger than a walnut.

If Trump seeks to co-exist with the reality of China, North Korea, and
Russia, more power to him. It does not mean he endorses their left
wing oppressive regimes. It means that he accepts the reality that
peace in the 21st century is preferable to yet another war.
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-07-08 00:06:11 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Trump does more than advance co-existence. He admires Putin, Xi and Kim
because they are authoritarian. Ditto for Duterte and el-Sisi who are
authoritarian from the right.
El Castor
2018-07-08 06:50:08 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by El Castor
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
I find your analysis of what Trump thinks, and why, to be as appealing
as a turd on a San Francisco sidewalk. Hatred does strange things to
the ability of some people to think.