I'll be absent for a while...
2017-10-04 15:28:42 UTC
Just found my wife's horse dead in the pasture. Just laid down and died
peacefully.

A lot of things to do.
Gary
2017-10-04 16:22:18 UTC
Just found my wife's horse dead in the pasture. Just laid down and died
peacefully.
A lot of things to do.
So sorry. I hope it died real peacefully -- with no pain. Good luck. I've never
owned a horse -- but I've admired them from afar.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-10-04 16:35:45 UTC
Just found my wife's horse dead in the pasture. Just laid down and died
peacefully.
A lot of things to do.
Oh gosh, I'm sorry. A long-time pet is a hard thing
to lose.
Emily
2017-10-05 13:21:30 UTC
Just found my wife's horse dead in the pasture. Just laid down and died
peacefully.
A lot of things to do.
So sorry to hear that. Please extend my sympathies to your wife.

I hope you're not planning to try to bury it by yourself. Do you know
someone with a backhoe?
islander
2017-10-05 14:07:25 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
Just found my wife's horse dead in the pasture. Just laid down and died
peacefully.
A lot of things to do.
So sorry to hear that. Please extend my sympathies to your wife.
I hope you're not planning to try to bury it by yourself. Do you know
someone with a backhoe?
My wife is pretty broken up. JJ (Jump for Joy) has been part of our
menagerie for about 10-12 years. A big black walker with a sweet
disposition. The biggest disappointment was that we had just had the
vet out to check JJ and he remarked at how healthy she was at age 33.
So, we thought that she might last through another winter. I had just
finished work on the floor of her stall and we had put away a truckload
of hay.

Fortunately, a contractor with a backhoe is working nearby and came over
yesterday afternoon to put her in the ground. Not a trivial job for a
1200 lb animal! She is buried near a weeping willow tree that she loved
to scratch herself on. My wife planted that tree when we first moved
here 20 years ago.

So, the worst part is over and what remains is getting rid of a ton of
horse supplies that we had accumulated over the years.

We will miss the twice daily ritual of caring for her.
El Castor
2017-10-05 17:59:59 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
In a way it's best that your horse died the way he did -- naturally,
and at the end of his life. I just hate putting down an animal and
watching them die. It's something that will stay with me for the rest
of my life. Very sorry for your loss.
islander
2017-10-09 13:47:39 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
Yes, she (the horse) gave us a gift. We were not looking forward to the
eventuality of making the decision to put her down. Two years ago she
was exhibiting a persistent bronchial problem that we could not resolve
and thinking that we would have to put her down, we dug the grave. She
got better! So, I filled it in for safety reasons. We had talked
frankly with two vets and both warned us that horses can die hard with a
lot of trashing around. So, we got to spend an additional two years
with her and she died peacefully.

One of our neighbors was especially fond of her and would bring his
family to visit her, feeding her treats. The day after she was buried,
I found him at the grave-site with his Buddhist prayer beads, crying as
he said goodby.
El Castor
2017-10-09 18:12:31 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
Very sad. We recently had to put down two cats that had been with us
for many years. Still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-10-10 00:09:07 UTC
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 11:12:31 -0700, El Castor
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
Very sorry about your loss. I have pictures of Stoner and Cnut on
the walls around my computer, and I get misty when I look at them.
Max is 11 now, and will very possibly outlive me.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-10-10 00:09:07 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
OK, I'll take back something I just wrote to Jeff. There is
something to be said for Buddhism. Bertie Russell said it
was his favourite of the "great" religions, because it had
done the least harm. That was before Pol Pot though, if
Pol Pot was Buddhist.
El Castor
2017-10-10 08:19:46 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
He was an atheist. I have a photo of the Dalai Lama prominently
displayed. He is a buddhist -- of the Tibetan variety. (-8
wolfbat359
How about the Buddhism in Myanmar concerning the Rohingya?
El Castor
2017-10-10 20:30:54 UTC
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 01:36:31 -0700 (PDT), wolfbat359
Post by wolfbat359
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
The question concerned Pol Pot -- who was an atheist, as are most Left
Wing mass murderers -- Stalin, Mao, Castro, Pot, etc. Buddhist are
obviously not entirely pacifist. Probably quite a few Buddhists at the
Rape of Nanking, and various other atrocities committed by Japan in
WWII.

BTW, I worked with a Cambodian who as a child escaped Pol Pot. His
father and uncle were not as fortunate. Thanks to evil American
capitalism and sponsorship by an American church, he came here
penniless, unable to speak a word of English, now owns two homes,
earns north of $100k, and is still a Buddhist.

And here is the Muslim score for the last 30 days (1st number killed,
2nd injured).

2017.10.10 Kenya Ukunda 2 3 Islamists spray a car
carrying university employees with bullets, killing two women.
2017.10.09 Pakistan Quetta 5 0 A targeted
shooting attack on Hazara religious minorities leaves five dead,
including a passerby.
2017.10.09 Somalia Bosaso 7 13 Seven are
killed when Islamists attack a checkpoint and then first responders.
2017.10.09 Pakistan Dosali 3 7 Pro-Sharia
hardliners fire on a government vehicle, killing three.
2017.10.09 DRC Beni 1 12 ADF Islamists attack
UN peacekeeprs, killing one.
2017.10.09 Thailand Narathiwat 1 1 Muslim
'insurgents' kill one person with a planted bomb.
2017.10.08 Iraq Wahda 3 1 Three civilians are
disassembled by Mujahideen shrapnel.
2017.10.07 Saudi Arabia Jeddah 2 3 Two guards
outside a palace lay down their lives to foil a suicide attack.
2017.10.07 Iraq Abu Ghraib 2 8 A bomb at a
market leaves two dead.
2017.10.07 Afghanistan Dand-e Ghori 2 1 Sunni
fundamentalists fire automatic weapons into a checkpoint, mowing down
two police.
2017.10.06 Saudi Arabia al Ardah 1 0 A
laborer is killed on the job by Shiite militia.
2017.10.06 India Tral 1 0 Islamic separatists
open fire on a soft target, killing a civilian.
2017.10.06 Mozambique Mocimboa de Praia 2
Islamic radicals attack police stations, killing two members.
2017.10.06 Yemen Abyan 4 7 An al-Qaeda suicide
bomber kills four security personnel.
2017.10.06 Pakistan Khushab 3 2 Three
innocent people are killed in a suspected Lashkar-i-Jhangvi firing.
2017.10.06 Sudan Kabkabiya 1 0 Islamic
militia fire on a market, killing a guard.
2017.10.05 Sudan Mellit 1 0 An ambulance driver is
shot to death by Muslim terrorists.
2017.10.05 Syria Qusour 15 0 Three children are
among fifteen civilians torn to shreds by an ISIS rocket attack on
their neighborhood.
2017.10.05 Pakistan Jhal Magsi 24 25 A
suicide bomber goes off at a Sufi shrine, killing two dozen, including
five children.
2017.10.05 Somalia Bosaso 1 2 A businessman
is shot to death at a coffee shop by Islamic extremists.
2017.10.04 Israel Kfar Qassem 1 0 A Jewish man
is beaten to death at his factory by Palestinians.
2017.10.04 Niger Tillabéri 9 2 Four Americans
are among nine members of a security patrol killed during an ambush by
Islamic militants.
2017.10.04 Iraq Hussayneyah 2 4 Two Iraqis are
blown to bits by Mujahid car bombers.
2017.10.04 Libya Misrata 4 40 An Islamic
State suicide bomber detonates at a court complex, killing four.
2017.10.03 Pakistan Yazman 1 0 A young women
is honor killed with an axe for marrying against her family's wishes.
2017.10.03 India Srinagar 1 2 Fedayeen stage
a suicide attack near an airport, killing a guard.
2017.10.03 Iraq Fallujah 3 0 A woman is
among three residents killed in their own homes by ISIS bombs.
2017.10.02 Iraq Qaim 2 0 Two young people are
executed for 'apostasy' by the caliphate.
2017.10.02 India Padgampora 1 0 Religious
extremists barge into a house a shoot a man to death in cold blood.
2017.10.02 Pakistan Malam Jabba 1 2 A bomb
planted by religious radicals claims the life of a villager.
2017.10.02 Syria Damscus 17 20 Two Shahid
suicide bombers slaughter seventeen.
2017.10.01 Russia Tetkino 1 0 Muslim
terrorists murder a border guard.
2017.10.01 France Marseille 2 0 A man shouting
praises to Allah slits the throat of one women and stabs another to
death.
2017.10.01 Sudan Zalingei 1 9 Islamic milita
fire into a displaced persons camp, killing at least one refugee.
2017.09.30 England Birmingham 0 1 A
14-year-old Shiite is stabbed in a targeted attack by Sunni radicals.
2017.09.30 Nigeria Bama 1 0 One person is
killed during a Boko Haram attack.
2017.09.30 Afghanistan Herat 2 2 Two Taliban
bombs take care of two Afghans.
2017.09.30 Sudan Tawila 1 3 Janjaweed militia
shoot a local herdsman to death.
2017.09.30 Canada Edmonton, AB 0 4
A man with an ISIS flag stabs a cop and runs over four pedestrians.
2017.09.29 Afghanistan Kabul 5 29 At least five
innocents are massacred outside a Shiite mosque by a Sunni suicide
bomber.
2017.09.29 Somalia Barire 10 11 A suicide
bomber attacks a local army base, killing ten.
2017.09.29 Afghanistan Kansak 9 3 A brutal
attack by Islamic radicals leaves nine dead.
2017.09.29 Russia Belogorsk 2 2 An observant
Muslim soldier turns his automatic weapon on non-Muslim peers, killing
two.
2017.09.28 Somalia Mogadishu 7 10 Mujahid
bombers destroy seven patrons at busy market.
2017.09.28 Burkina Faso Kahoel 1 0 One person is
gunned down by Ansaroul Islam.
2017.09.28 Iraq Hawija 10 0 Ten civilians are
lined up and beheaded by the Islamic State.
2017.09.28 Iraq Ramadi 1 3 A Shahid suicide
bomber takes one other soul with him.
2017.09.28 Afghanistan Maroof 12 4 A Shahid
suicide bomber goes off at a government building, taking out a dozen
Afghans.
2017.09.28 Afghanistan Kabul 4 16 A least four
people are killed by fundamentalist bombers outside a mosque.
2017.09.27 Nigeria Guzamala 3 0 Islamists
kill three villagers and burn over 100 homes.
2017.09.27 Nigeria Dikwa 2 0 At least two
people along a highway die from a Boko Haram bomb blast.
2017.09.27 India Hajin 1 4 Muslim militants shoot
a policeman to death in his own home in front of his family.
2017.09.27 Iraq Baghdad 2 4 Terrorists set
off a car bomb at a busy intersection, killing two locals.
2017.09.27 Iraq Qaim 5 0 Five people are
executed for "communicating with apostates."
2017.09.27 Burkina Faso Touronata 3 0 A
cleric is among three people assassinated in their own homes by
Islamic radicals.
2017.09.27 Afghanistan Kabul 1 11 A woman is
killed when the Taliban send rockets toward an airport.
2017.09.26 Burkina Faso Tongomayel 2 0 Two
people are killed by Ansaroul Islam.
2017.09.26 Iraq Baghdad 1 0 Fundamentalists
murder an alcohol dealer with a planted bomb.
2017.09.26 Israel Har Adar 3 1 A Palestinian
gunman opens fire on a security gate, killing three people.
2017.09.26 Pakistan Raiwind 2 0 A
young couple is honor killed by the girl's parents.
2017.09.26 Afghanistan Herat 2 3 Two security
personnel die from a Taliban roadside bombing.
2017.09.26 Afghanistan Farah 3 0 Fundamentalist
bombers blow three local cops to bits.
2017.09.26 Nigeria Dikwa 5 3 A female
suicide bomber storms a rival mosque and sends five souls to Allah.
2017.09.26 Iraq Baghdad 2 10 Two bombs take
care of two Iraqis.
2017.09.25 Afghanistan Maiwand 1 1 The
Taliban pick off a civilian with a roadside bomb.
2017.09.25 Afghanistan Kandahar 2 0
Fundamentalists set off a bomb near a hospital, killing two passersby.
2017.09.25 Myanmar Kha Maung Seik 17 0 Seventeen
more Hindu victims of Muslim execution are discovered.
2017.09.25 Syria Salamiyeh 4 3 Two children
are among four residents torn apart by ISIS shrapnel.
2017.09.24 Somalia Mogadishu 2 0 Two
government employees are assassinated on their way home from a mosque.
2017.09.24 Mali Anefis 3 5 Three UN peacekeepers
are blown to bits by 'The Group to Support Islam and Muslims'.
2017.09.24 Myanmar Ye Baw Kya 28 0 Twenty
Hindu women and eight children are found in a mass grave after their
execution by Muslim militants.
2017.09.24 Iraq Qaim 3 0 Three young people are
dragged from their homes and executed by the Islamic State.
2017.09.24 Iraq Babil 5 1 Sectarian Jihadis open
fire on a city street, dropping five people at random.
2017.09.24 Somalia Galgala 3 5 A
woman is among three people killed by al-Shabaab.
2017.09.24 Afghanistan Wach Karez 1 7 Women
and children are among the casualties of a Taliban bomb blast.
2017.09.23 Pakistan Rajgal 1 0 A border guard
is murdered by Muslim extremists.
2017.09.23 Afghanistan Nad-e-Ali 1 0 The
Taliban ambush and kill a local police chief.
2017.09.23 Afghanistan Bagh-i-Attar 5 8 Muslim
extremists suddenly spray a police checkpoint with automatic weapons
fire, killing five.
2017.09.22 Iraq Sinjar 3 0 Three civilians are
murdered in their own home by the Islamic State.
2017.09.22 Iraq Baqubah 1 0 A law student
is shot to death by suspected terrorists.
2017.09.22 Iraq Rashidiya 1 0 A legal
professional loses his life after Islamic State loyalists plant a bomb
under his car.
2017.09.22 Thailand Sai Buri 4 7 Muslim
terrorists ambush and murder four members of a local security patrol.
2017.09.22 Afghanistan Daikund 1 1 The
Taliban murder a man inside his home.
2017.09.21 India Tral 3 30 Three people,
including a teenage girl, are killed when Islamic militants hurl a
grenade into a bus stop.
2017.09.21 Afghanistan Shajoy 5 2 The Taliban
attack a local security checkpoint, killing five members.
2017.09.20 Iraq Baghdad 1 4 A Mujahideen
bomb blast claims one civilian.
2017.09.20 Iraq Baghdad 1 0 Religious
conservatives murder a liquor store vendor with a bomb.
2017.09.20 Somalia Mogadishu 1 3 Islamists
put a bomb under a car that claims the life of the driver.
2017.09.20 Nigeria Daima 9 24 At least nine
innocents are slaughtered when Boko Haram attack a peaceful farming
community.
2017.09.20 Syria Hasakah 4 0 A landmine
planted by the Islamic State transforms four children into pulp.
2017.09.20 Iraq Tal Afar 20 0 Twenty
civilian victims of ISIS are discovered in a mass grave.
2017.09.20 Pakistan Achar Kali 2 0 A
10-year-old is among two sisters honor killed by their father for
leaving the house without permission.
2017.09.19 Iraq Tal Qasr 40 0 Forty victims
of ISIS torture are found in a mass grave.
2017.09.19 Iraq Hawija 13 0 Twelve tuberculosis
patients and their doctor are executed by the Islamic State.
2017.09.19 Pakistan Sukkur 5 8 A bomb planted
by suspected Lashkar-e-Jhangvi leaves five dead, including two factory
workers.
2017.09.19 Iraq Ali Saray 1 0 A farmer is
laid out by Jihadi shrapnel.
2017.09.19 Iraq Saladin 3 34 Two suicide
bombers walk into a restaurant and detonates, taking out three diners
in mid-bite.
2017.09.18 Syria Qamishli 1 6 A bomb planted
on a motorbike kills a passing child.
2017.09.18 Pakistan Chaman 1 17 A civilian is
blown to smithereens by a Fedayeen suicide bomber.
2017.09.18 Nigeria Mashalari 15 43 Two
female suicide bombers attack an aid distribution station,
slaughtering over fifteen needy people.
2017.09.18 Somalia Mogadishu 1 3 A
local official is gunned down by al-Shabaab.
2017.09.18 Afghanistan Kandahar 6 0 A half
dozen civilians are destroyed by a Taliban bomb.
2017.09.18 Iraq Baghdad 1 2 A bomb
attached to a taxi produces one corpse.
2017.09.18 Afghanistan Islam Qalah 3 0
Fundamentalists execute three kidnapped workers.
2017.09.18 Iraq Mosul 2 0 A man and his wife are
beheaded by sectarian radicals.
2017.09.17 Nigeria Kurmiri 5 0 Five
villagers are murdered by Boko Haram.
2017.09.17 Afghanistan Khost 4 14 Jihadi bombers
hit a mobile phone market, bringing down four attendees.
2017.09.17 Pakistan Khar 6 0 The Tehreek
e-Taliban blow six persons into bits with a planted bomb.
2017.09.17 Afghanistan Deh Yak 8 0 Eight
others are killed when the Taliban attack a local checkpoint.
2017.09.17 Somalia Kalabayr 4 3 A
group fighting for an Islamic State murders four security personnel.
2017.09.17 Iraq Mosul 15 23 A bomb left at a
school kills fifteen.
2017.09.16 Iraq Saddiyah 5 0 Five local
cops are turned to ash by Islamic terrorists.
2017.09.16 Pakistan Jangalkhel 1 1 Terrorists
fire on a social worker, killing his bodyguard.
2017.09.16 Pakistan Achar Kalay 2 0 A
conservative father honor kills his two daughters with a gun after
discovering they were having affairs.
2017.09.16 Afghanistan Lamen 6 2 A half-dozen
police at a checkpoint are machine-gunned point-blank by militants
fighting to establish Sharia.
2017.09.16 Iraq Kirkuk 3 9 Bombers target a shop
selling alcohol, taking three lives.
2017.09.16 Iraq Muqdadiya 2 7 A suicide
bomber detonates outside a shop, killing two innocents.
2017.09.15 Afghanistan Kandahar 1 2 A
suicide car bomber plows into security patrol, killing one member.
2017.09.15 Iraq Dora 1 3 A planted bomb
explodes at a market, killing a patron.
2017.09.15 Burkina Faso Dowoule 2 0 A monk
is among two people exterminated by Jihad warriors.
2017.09.15 France Bourgogne-Franche-Comté 0 2
A man shouting 'Allah Akbar' attacks two women with a hammer, severely
injuring both.
2017.09.15 England London 0 29 A 'cell of
several Jihadis' set off an incendiary bomb on a passenger train.
2017.09.15 Syria Deir Ezzor 1 1 ISIS lob a
mortar shell into a neighborhood, killing one resident.
2017.09.15 Iraq Hawija 5 0 Two children are among
a family of five exterminated by ISIS shrapnel.
2017.09.15 Afghanistan Kandalan 5 5 Religious
radicals spray a group of police with gunfire, killing five.
2017.09.14 Thailand Yala 2 26 Muslim
'insurgents' stop a police patrol with a bomb, then open fire on
members.
2017.09.14 Pakistan Shah Alam Baba 3 0
Muslim terrorists shoot three people in a passing vehicle to death.
2017.09.14 Burkina Faso Wendpoli 1 0 A
village chief is kidnapped and murdered by Islamic militants.
2017.09.14 Afghanistan Jaghatoo 1 0 A
fundamentalist group plants an IED that claims one life.
2017.09.14 France Toulouse 0 7 A man shouting
praises to Allah violently assaults strangers on the street.
2017.09.14 Iraq Qaim 3 0 Three civilians are
executed by the Islamic State.
2017.09.14 Syria Harfa 1 4 Terrorists kill a
civilian.
2017.09.14 Iraq Nasiriyah 84 93 Over eighty
are massacred when suicide bombers fire into a restaurant before
blowing themselves up.
2017.09.13 Iraq Nahrawan 1 6 Mujahideen
plant a bomb near a brick kiln that takes a life.
2017.09.13 Egypt Sinai 2 0 Two Egyptians are
taken down by a suicide bomber.
2017.09.13 Cameroon Sandawadjiri 5 1 A
child with a suicide vest is blown up in front of a mosque, taking
five others with her.
2017.09.13 Afghanistan Kabul 3 5 A Shahid
suicide bomber detonates at a cricket tournament, killing three
innocents.
2017.09.13 Iraq Mussayab 1 10 A suicide
bomber claims one other life.
2017.09.12 Afghanistan Manogi 2 0 Two civilians
are beheaded by the Islamic State.
2017.09.12 Iraq Mashtal 1 1 A Jihadi car
bomb claims one life.
2017.09.11 Iraq Qaim 5 0 Five young people are
beheaded in front of their family by caliphate supporters.
2017.09.11 Afghanistan Mazar-e-Sharif 1 0 A
Spanish doctor working as a humanitarian worker is brutally slain by a
suspected radical.
2017.09.11 Egypt Sinai 18 7 Eighteen policemen are
massacred by Islamic State loyalists in a suicide car bombing.
2017.09.11 Somalia Beled-Hawo 16 24 Sixteen
others are left dead after a suicide assault by Fedayeen on a small
town.
2017.09.11 Somalia Bal'ad 3 0 Three security
personnel are shot at close range by al-Shabaab.
2017.09.11 Somalia Mogadishu 1 4 Islamists
plant a car bomb outside a hotel that claims one life.
2017.09.10 Kenya Mararani 1 6 A Kenyan is
vaporized by al-Shabaab shrapnel.
2017.09.10 Iraq Nahrawan 2 0 Two women are
tortured and killed by suspected ISIS.
2017.09.10 Pakistan Kuchlak 5 3 A boy
and two women are among five dead when Sunnis fire point-blank on
Hazara religious minorities.
2017.09.10 Somalia Beledweyne 4 15 A
suicide bomber detonates at a café, laying out four patrons.
2017.09.10 Myanmar Fakirabazar 86 0 Eighty-six
Hindus are reportedly slain by Muslim 'rebels.'
2017.09.10 Somalia Jillib 3 0 Three Kenyans
are publicly beheaded by Islamists.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/attacks.aspx?Yr=Last30
wolfbat359
All caused by the Rohingya no doubt! Your not the only one who knows refugees from Pol Pot!
El Castor
2017-10-11 08:22:00 UTC
Post by wolfbat359
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
Actually caused by Mohammad -- no doubt. (-8

Emily
2017-10-05 22:25:30 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
You're not up for another horse? One of the more unpleasant things
about old age is having to think about whether a new animal might
outlive you. I would love to have adopted several cats from among
those who survived the various hurricanes but my husband is not really
a pet person and I don't think it would be nice of me to leave him
with more than the three cats we already have.
El Castor
2017-10-06 04:00:07 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
Post by Emily
Post by islander
[...]
We have a parrot who we acquired when she was six months old. Now
she's 41, in good health, and our mortality is becoming a concern.