Genetics Is Undercutting the Case for Racial Quotas
2018-04-09 12:06:59 UTC
"Genetics Is Undercutting the Case for Racial Quotas

By MICHAEL BARONE, April 6, 2018 6:30 AM

Science may serve communities better than well-meaning people’s good
intentions.

‘I am worried,” writes Harvard geneticist David Reich in the New York
Times, “that well-meaning people who deny the possibility of
substantial biological differences among human populations are digging
themselves into an indefensible position, one that will not survive
the onslaught of science.”

Reich was responding to anticipated resistance to his forthcoming
book, Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science
of the Human Past. The “well-meaning people” Reich references are
those who argue that race is a “social construct,” that there are no
significant genetic differences among people of different racial
ancestry. Maybe there are differences in appearance and other physical
traits, these people say, but there definitely aren’t any in
intelligence.

Such people responded with rage and fury to the publication in 1994 of
Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray’s book, The Bell Curve. That
book, solidly based on the then-available psychological research,
explored differences among races in intelligence as measured by
rigorous IQ tests.

Herrnstein and Murray’s conclusion was that those differences are the
result of both nature and nurture—genes and environment—in as yet
unknown proportions. They predicted that research like Reich’s would
provide a clearer understanding of just how much is genetic.

Reich obviously wishes to avoid the demonization endured by Murray,
who was shouted down at Middlebury College just last year. Reich is at
pains to say that his findings should not be used to justify racist
practices, such as the slave trade, the eugenics movement, and the
Holocaust.

He also makes a point that is obvious to the ordinary person but that
he—and some of his critics who wrote to the Times—thinks needs
reiteration, which is, as one reader put it, “differences in
individuals vary far more widely than populations.” When we are
comparing traits of people with different genetic ancestry, we are
looking at averages, such as the differences between American whites’
and Asians’ IQ scores. (Asians’, on average, are higher.) But within
the white and Asian populations, there is wide variety—which can be
represented as a bell curve.

The assumption of “well-meaning people” is that ordinary Americans
aren’t capable of grasping this. My view is that they understand it
very well. They have learned—from school, from work, from everyday
life, from public events—that there is a wider variation within each
measured group than there is among measured groups.
To take a concrete and accurate example, they suspect that even if
blacks might on average score lower than whites on average in
intelligence tests, it does not change the fact that former president
Barack Obama is a highly intelligent person. Indeed, you can read
reams of anti-Obama commentary and look in vain for claims that he was
not smart enough to be president. . . .
© 2018 CREATORS.COM"
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/genetic-science-does-not-support-racial-quotas/
Gary
2018-04-09 14:35:52 UTC
"Genetics Is Undercutting the Case for Racial Quotas
By MICHAEL BARONE, April 6, 2018 6:30 AM
Science may serve communities better than well-meaning people’s good
intentions.
‘I am worried,” writes Harvard geneticist David Reich in the New York
Times, “that well-meaning people who deny the possibility of
substantial biological differences among human populations are digging
themselves into an indefensible position, one that will not survive
the onslaught of science.”
My grandmother (born circa 1883 to an Alabama family of former slave
owners) once explained to me why blacks are different from whites.
She said it all goes back to the Garden of Eden. And us Europeans
are descended from Adam. Africans are, too. In a way. She said
that when Cain left the Garden -- he ended up in Africa. But none of
his sisters went with him. So, while there -- he mated with a
monkey. And -- guess what he produced !
Post by mg
Reich was responding to anticipated resistance to his forthcoming
book, Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science
of the Human Past. The “well-meaning people” Reich references are
those who argue that race is a “social construct,” that there are no
significant genetic differences among people of different racial
ancestry. Maybe there are differences in appearance and other physical
traits, these people say, but there definitely aren’t any in
intelligence.
I don't see how anybody could say that ! I know for a fact that
Asians are more intelligent than us European white people are. And we
are more intelligent than African black people. And Africans are far
more intelligent than the late Neanderthals -- and the chimps.

<snip>
Post by mg
Reich obviously wishes to avoid the demonization endured by Murray,
who was shouted down at Middlebury College just last year. Reich is at
pains to say that his findings should not be used to justify racist
practices, such as the slave trade, the eugenics movement, and the
Holocaust.
There was nothing racist about the slave trade. There were a lot of
Southern planters who needed some cotton-pickers -- and Africa was
full of them. The traders just "filled a need".

So much for genetics class for today :-)