My Crow Molly is Back !
2017-03-07 18:35:32 UTC
I just fed Molly. It's the first time I've seen her in five months. I've
been feeding her now for almost eight years. It is unbeleivable !

Below is a post I made in 2014 that tells about Molly.

Did I ever tell y'all about my crow, Molly ?
Actually she is not "my" crow. But I have developed a lot of affection for her. She is a
typical wild crow -- who visits me regularly. I call her "Molly". I first met Molly in the
spring five years ago. About May of 2009.
I was in the back yard feeding the birds when I noticed a crow sitting on a limb about
fifty feet away -- looking at me. I had a piece of corn bread hush puppy in my hand. I
threw it out in the middle of the yard where she could see there was no danger. She
flew down, picked it up -- and flew back into the tree. She ate her snack that day -- and left.
We have a fairly deep yard and beyond it is a local and state park. Several hundred
acres of nice wildlife. But we seldom ever see crows -- except maybe one or two flying
over. They don't usually stop.
I was in the yard the next day, and there sat that crow on the same limb. I went into the
house and brought out a piece of a breakfast biscuit. I put it on top of a swing in the yard.
She swooped down, picked it up -- and ate it on the tree limb.
That started a long friendship. For two or three months, every nice day I would go out --
she would either already be in her tree -- our would arrive shortly. Sometimes twice a day.
Then about August, I didn't see her any more. I figured she must be dead. Probably
shot and killed by a stupid gun-wielding redneck.
But then ... about November -- I was outside and she lit on her limb. After almost three
months ! I continued to feed her until about February. She disappeared again. I finally
figured it out. She and I assume all other crows -- must migrate periodically to other parts
of our state. I have no idea whether she travels ten miles -- or a hundred.
But every two to four months -- she leaves for about that same period. but she always comes
back. I describe the bird as "her", because sometimes during the summer, she will be
accompanied by what looks like a young crow. I figure it must be her offspring -- which makes
her female. After a few weeks, the younger one disappears and Molly arrives alone ... as usual.
A couple years ago, I began to read up on crows. I have learned that they are regarded
as one of the most intelligent birds. I am not surprised.
So, anyway, Molly arrived this year the last of February. She appears to have nested
about a mile from the house - but she visits me at least once a day. She does love biscuits !
I get a couple buttered biscuits at Chi-Filet and give her a half of a half each visit.
A couple years ago, I made the mistake by giving her a small piece of a friend salmon patty.
She like to have gone crazy ! She loved it ! She wouldn't leave all day ! I've not done
that again. But I'm sure she keeps hoping I will.
Oh, well. I figure Molly it's about time for Molly to be leaving for her jaunt. I just wish I
knew where she goes. This month begins the sixth year of our friendship. I wonder how
many people have fed a wild animal for five years ?
GLOBALIST
2017-03-07 19:41:46 UTC
[...]
If you are feeding her...no wonder she is loyal to you :)
Do you know where Molly lives....usually in a colony in
heavily wooded area.
This should be the next step Gary
...kissing on the lips
Gary
2017-03-07 20:08:58 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:41:46 -0800 (PST), GLOBALIST
[...]
http://img.youtube.com/vi/TH8Syz0NvD4/0.jpg
...kissing on the lips
Cute picture :-)

I've never been closer than about 40 feet to Molly. But we look at
each other a lot. It amazes me how a bird can remember -- six months
later -- which limb to sit on and what to expect. But she comes back
to exactly that spot. Every time.