Blind in one eye, can't see out of the other
2018-07-08 13:09:15 UTC
About 5 or 6 weeks ago my vision went to hell -- just all of the
sudden, with no warning, in both eyes. Based on an internet search, it
looks like maybe I have "ocular migraine" symptoms, or something
similar to that. An ocular migraine is basically a migraine headache
without the headache. except I have it all the time instead of just
sometimes.

Or, maybe I had a stroke; I don't feel like I've had a stroke, though
-- everything else seems to be normal. I did go to an eye doctor and
she said there was nothing wrong with my eyes, but she did notice a
spot on one of my eyelids which turned out to be basil-cell cancer. So
I had that spot removed Friday and they put a patch on that eye and it
needs to stay on until Monday.

Anyway, the bottom line is that reading and writing is a real chore
now, and no fun at all; it now takes me perhaps 20 or 30 times as long
to read (or proof read) a paragraph as it used to. So, I might
restrict future posts to short, dazzlingly brilliant quips and short
replies, or perhaps no reply at all.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-07-08 13:22:45 UTC
[...]
Gosh, I hope that gets better after the patch is removed. This
newsgroup will be much the worse if you don't post as much as
you have been doing.
mg
2018-07-08 15:00:18 UTC
[...]
Thanks Rumple. I always thought you and I had a lot in common in that
we're not as naive as most people after received the "benefit" of all
the righteous goodness of the establishment up close and first hand
for all, or most all, of our lives.
GLOBALIST
2018-07-08 14:42:02 UTC
[...]
Have you already had cataract surgery? You may want to go back to
the eye doctors and tell them what is going on. I use artificial
tears routinely, some of them even have a lubricant in them.
My ophthalmologist said to buy the cheapest brand they have, since
none of them are really special
mg
2018-07-08 14:54:53 UTC
On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 07:42:02 -0700 (PDT), GLOBALIST
[...]
The doctor said I have extremely dry eyes and said that I should be
using a moisturizer about 3, or more times a day, but I haven't been
too faithful about doing that -- I need to do better. I do put some
drops in from time to time, though, and it doesn't seem to help any.
El Castor
2018-07-08 18:12:29 UTC
[...]
Wow! Sorry about that. A few years ago a doc put me on a generic
version of Hytrin, a prostate med. After a maybe a month I started
getting fierce headaches. Took me awhile to connect the headaches with
the Hytrin, so the doc took me off Hytrin, and the headaches
immediately stopped. About a week later I looked out a window at some
flowers, and they were all distorted and shimmering, like some kind of
impressionist painting! Whoa! I'm losing my sight! I called the
ophthalmology department. A nurse said, "sounds like a migraine aura".
It dawned on me that the headaches were migraines without the aura,
and now I was getting the aura without the headache. The aura became a
daily thing, but tapered off and ended after six months.
mg
2018-07-08 23:11:07 UTC
On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 11:12:29 -0700, El Castor
[...]
Based on what I've read on the internet, I'm guessing my problem is a
migraine aura, also. However, I'm not taking any sort of unusual
medication that would cause that -- only a blood thinner and some
vitamins and I won't be able to have a doctor look at my eyes (again)
until after I get the patch off.

What I have done, in the meantime, though, is loaded up on the pain
pills that they gave me after the surgery and upped my daily sleeping
time to about 10 hours from 5 hours a day and I've increased my blood
thinner mediation by a factor of about 8; instead of taking 1/4th of
an Alka seltzer a day, I'm now taking two whole Alka Seltzer's per
day.

The visual effect that I'm experiencing is really hard to describe,
but the aura thing is about as close as I can come. The net effect,
though, is that I have to look at a word a lot longer to make sure
that I'm seeing all the letters. Typically, when I look at a word for
the first time, I'll miss the first letter and the name Kevin, for
instance, will look like "evin". The good news, however, is that it
doesn't effect my ability to get 20/20 on an eye test and it doesn't
seem to effect my driving much, if at all.
El Castor
2018-07-09 00:13:02 UTC
[...]
I believe the aura usually precedes the headache -- at least that's
the way it worked for my mother who called it "that thing with my
eyes". I don't get migraines, although Hytrin apparently switched
something on.
Gary
2018-07-10 20:30:10 UTC
[...]
Hope you get better soon. I've been afflicted with a
similar problem. My right eye gives me a little trouble.
But I hate to go to the doctor. I had cataract surgery on
both eyes last year. I few eyedrops tend to help me.

I sure miss your posts.
mg
2018-07-26 18:16:51 UTC
[...]
Thanks, Gary. I have cataract surgery scheduled for August 6th in one
eye and then they will do the other eye as soon as possible after
that, depending on how the reconstructed eyelid is healing. I'm
actually getting to the point now, that I'm almost afraid to drive and
I still don't understand how my vision got so bad so fast.

It seemed like my vision went to hell in just a matter of 4 or 5 weeks
and by then it was too late to do anything until after the eyelid
surgery healed up.
Garry
2018-07-26 18:28:37 UTC
[...]
That's the way they did me. I had my left eye operated on in
February of last year, and then the right one done in March.
Post by mg
I'm
actually getting to the point now, that I'm almost afraid to drive and
I still don't understand how my vision got so bad so fast.
I know the feeling. After surgery -- and a few days of healing --
you will see like a young man.
Post by mg
It seemed like my vision went to hell in just a matter of 4 or 5 weeks
and by then it was too late to do anything until after the eyelid
surgery healed up.
I think the loss of visual ability goes down so slowly, we don't
notice -- until it reaches a degree that can cause us trouble. Like
driving. If we were still in horse-and-buggy days -- we'd probably not
have noticed it yet :-)
Gary
2018-07-26 19:06:03 UTC
Post by Garry
Post by mg
It seemed like my vision went to hell in just a matter of 4 or 5 weeks
and by then it was too late to do anything until after the eyelid
surgery healed up.
I think the loss of visual ability goes down so slowly, we don't
notice -- until it reaches a degree that can cause us trouble. Like
driving. If we were still in horse-and-buggy days -- we'd probably not
have noticed it yet :-)
Let me add a thought. I'm sure you already know this but -- just in
case. Be sure to have somebody with you who can drive you home.
They always ask that prior to surgery. They don't want you to drive
with the eye having been worked on.
mg
2018-07-26 19:41:32 UTC
Post by Garry
Post by mg
It seemed like my vision went to hell in just a matter of 4 or 5 weeks
and by then it was too late to do anything until after the eyelid
surgery healed up.
I think the loss of visual ability goes down so slowly, we don't
notice -- until it reaches a degree that can cause us trouble. Like
driving. If we were still in horse-and-buggy days -- we'd probably not
have noticed it yet :-)
Let me add a thought. I'm sure you already know this but -- just in
case. Be sure to have somebody with you who can drive you home.
They always ask that prior to surgery. They don't want you to drive
with the eye having been worked on.
Many years ago, before I had my gallbladder out, I was planning on
just taking a taxi home because I didn't want to bother anybody. As it
turns out, though, you have to have someone to sign for you. So that
wouldn't have worked.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-07-27 01:26:25 UTC
Post by Garry
Post by mg
[...]
Best wishes for the surgery. I hope you have the same
experience as Gary.

It really is a pain in the neck how hospitals make you
inconvenience somebody to come and check you out
these days even when you're perfectly capable of
taking care of yourself. Fear of lawsuits, I guess.

El Castor
2018-07-26 19:34:44 UTC
[...]
Cataract surgery has become literally routine. The most important part
probably comes before the surgery -- measurement of your eye to
determine the best possible specs of the replacement lens. At least in
my case, the surgery consisted of local anesthesia, a tiny slit at the
edge of the pocket that contains the cloudy lens, insertion of a tube
that uses ultrasound to emulsify the old lens, then the tube sucks out
the old lens material and the doc slips the new lens in through the
slit. Just takes a few minutes. In the old days the lens didn't filter
ultraviolet so you had to wear sunglasses outdoors, but that is no
longer an issue.
mg
2018-07-26 19:44:54 UTC
On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 12:34:44 -0700, El Castor
[...]
How did they do "local anesthesia!?

From what I understand, the plan is to put me out.
El Castor
2018-07-26 20:50:17 UTC
[...]
From what I understand, the plan is to put me out.
They didn't just stick a needle in my eyeball!! As I recall, some eye
drops, and a needle into the socket, from the side, behind the
eyeball. Maybe another needle in the arm? Wasn't as bad as it sounds.
For my second eye the doc played classical music while he worked. That
was a long time ago, so things may have changed.