Hot Peppers
Add Reply
billbowden
2017-05-19 01:57:45 UTC
I got tired of eating Chili Cheese Tamales that had very little chili. So, I
bought a bag of raw chilies at 49 cents a pound and boiled them for about 45
minutes and put them in a jar in the fridge. The next tamale I ate, I added
one of the boiled chilies and just cut a small piece with every bite. What
a difference. My mouth was on fire and I had to drink some water between
bites. That stuff is good and cheap. And it works for enchiladas and Tacos
too. Just be sure to have a glass of water on the table to cool off your
mouth.
b***@gmail.com
2017-05-19 05:44:12 UTC
Post by billbowden
I got tired of eating Chili Cheese Tamales that had very little chili. So, I
bought a bag of raw chilies at 49 cents a pound and boiled them for about 45
minutes and put them in a jar in the fridge. The next tamale I ate, I added
one of the boiled chilies and just cut a small piece with every bite. What
a difference. My mouth was on fire and I had to drink some water between
bites. That stuff is good and cheap. And it works for enchiladas and Tacos
too. Just be sure to have a glass of water on the table to cool off your
mouth.
You may have missed the program on TV that explored chilies. Different
chilies have different "heat" and to counteract the 'heat' that is
produced in the mouth it is best to drink milk rather than water. One
of milk's ingredient (casein) counteracts the active capsaicin (8-methyl
-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) contained in the chilies.
billbowden
2017-05-19 22:29:57 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by billbowden
[...]
Sounds like milk is good idea, but I don't keep fresh milk in the fridge
since it spoils so fast. I have a can of condensed milk in the frezzer I use
once in awhile. That keeps forever. But I'm gradually getting used to how
much chilie I can take with each bite. And I have to remember never to rub
my eyes while handling hot chilies.
Lawrence Akutagawa
2017-05-20 07:43:22 UTC
"billbowden" wrote in message news:591e5119$0$22790$c3e8da3$***@news.astraweb.com...

I got tired of eating Chili Cheese Tamales that had very little chili. So, I
bought a bag of raw chilies at 49 cents a pound and boiled them for about 45
minutes and put them in a jar in the fridge. The next tamale I ate, I added
one of the boiled chilies and just cut a small piece with every bite. What
a difference. My mouth was on fire and I had to drink some water between
bites. That stuff is good and cheap. And it works for enchiladas and Tacos
too. Just be sure to have a glass of water on the table to cool off your
mouth.

***** This line separates my response from the foregoing ******

If you like chili, try the Hatch Chili from New Mexico. They are wonderful.
https://www.pepperscale.com/hatch-peppers/

You can order them over the internet in season.

One vendor, Melissa's, makes visits to various places throughout the
country. Here is last year's schedule. It's too early for this year's
schedule. I offer last year's schedule so you can check to see whether or
not one of the locations listed is close to you. My experience is that the
Melissa'a folks visit the same locations each year.
http://www.melissas.com/Articles.asp?ID=4172

There are four categories: mild medium hot extra-hot. We like the hot.

These are roasted on site and last in the freezer. We bought ten pounds,
which did not last six months. So the plan this year is to purchase 20
pounds to freeze. The cost for ten pounds, as I recall, was about $20.
billbowden
2017-05-21 03:06:09 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I might try some Hatch peppers. I see them for sale at WalMart for 28 cents
an ounce.or about $4 a pound. But I usually buy all my vegies at the swap
meet at low prices. They have both Anaheim and Jalapeno peppers at 49 cents
a pound. So, I just mix a few of each in the same bag and pay 49 cents a
pound. Sometimes I get 5 avocados for a dollar. But the flowers are a
rip-off on mother's day. They doubled the prices of flowers on mother's day.
So, I just told them I only had $10 and started making my own bouquet. I
grabbed 4 roses and a few other flowers and made my own bouquet and kept
asking if I could add one more flower. They already had the $10 in their
hand and kept giving me permission to add another flower. I finally ended up
with a pretty nice bouquet for $10 which would have been $20 if prearranged.