I made 10 bucks today
billbowden
2017-02-24 02:35:28 UTC
I was invited to participate in a phone survey today. Usually, I don't do
such things but the caller was nice and promised not to ask me any questions
about investments. It was a survey from the Nielsen ratings about what TV,
Radio and Internet stuff I used. I basically answered the questions that I
listen to right wing AM radio stations 24/7 and had no use for much else. At
the end of the interview, the caller said I would receive a couple $5 bills
in the mail and a short questionnaire about my information habits if I would
supply my email and home address. So, I agreed and look forward to getting
my 10 dollars and filling out some paperwork about how I get information
about the world. Basically, I just listen to KFI (los Angeles) 24/7.

.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-02-24 02:43:29 UTC
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 18:35:28 -0800, "billbowden"
Post by billbowden
I was invited to participate in a phone survey today. Usually, I don't do
such things but the caller was nice and promised not to ask me any questions
about investments. It was a survey from the Nielsen ratings about what TV,
Radio and Internet stuff I used. I basically answered the questions that I
listen to right wing AM radio stations 24/7 and had no use for much else. At
the end of the interview, the caller said I would receive a couple $5 bills
in the mail and a short questionnaire about my information habits if I would
supply my email and home address. So, I agreed and look forward to getting
my 10 dollars and filling out some paperwork about how I get information
about the world. Basically, I just listen to KFI (los Angeles) 24/7.
Good luck, but I suspect you've walked into a dragon's lair.
You can probably expect lots and lots and lots and lots and
lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and
lots and lots of garbage emails.
billbowden
2017-02-25 00:57:25 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
My webpage hosting service at AT&T allows me 100 email addresses. So, when
some possible spammer askes for my address, I just provide some minor
address that I seldom use and delete it if necessary. One of my relatives
had a big problem with spam since he subscribed to lots of internet offers
for market updates and other stuff. He only had one email address and it got
so bad his email box filled up and he was getting notices that mail could
not be delivered because his box was full. He spent some time on the phone
getting instructions on cleaning up that problem.

.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-02-25 01:54:02 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
Somehow I got on a list of some entrepreneur, "Andrew
Christian", who sells poofy underwear. And no, I've never
looked for poofy underwear. I sometimes get two or three
messages a day from him, but he's easy to send to the
"trash" folder without even being aware the messages
have been downloaded, so that's what I do.

I have a "friends and family" address and a "business"
address. Sometimes I inadvertently write to friends and
family from my business address, but never the other
way around.
billbowden
2017-03-02 00:09:23 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
I got an email today concerning my $10 award for the phone survey and was
invited to take another survey. So, I clicked on the link and had to answer
100 questions or more about my living habits. Where I shopped, where I got
health insurance, how much I drank and smoked, which roads I used when
driving. How far I walked in a week, how much I spent on gasoline, which
movies I watched, where do I get my news, where do I get my prescription
drugs, what sports do I like, what internet service do I use and how much
time do I spend on the internet , and on and on. I was surprised they
didn't ask if my pet was a dog or a cat. I think I finished the survey and
am good to receive the $10 for my 1 hour work.

The survey is at :

http://mycitysurvey.com/Scarborough.SISA.Web/Survey.aspx
.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-03-02 03:40:03 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
Thanks for the tip, but I'll pass! Was that a $10 bill or
a $10 check, or just a $10 "gift card"?

I have a thing against "gift cards".
billbowden
2017-03-02 04:24:08 UTC
Post by billbowden
[...]
As I understand it, it will be 2 crisp five dollar bills in the mail. But I
never did finish the survey, they kept asking more questions about where I
got auto insurance, homeowners insurance, how much I worked out in health
clubs, what kinds of drinks I liked, beer, wine or spirits, what education I
had, which movies I liked, and what credit cards I used, and how many
hotels I have stayed at in the last 12 months. They even wanted to know if I
had visited Disneyland in the last year, and I said no even though I had a
yearly pass to disneyland for about 8 years and went there 150 times. I can
walk to Disneyland. I liked hearing the piano player on main street and he
let me play the Maple Leaf Rag on Tuesday nights.

.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-03-02 12:56:46 UTC
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 20:24:08 -0800, "billbowden"
Post by billbowden
Post by rumpelstiltskin
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:09:23 -0800, "billbowden"
<snip>
Post by billbowden
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by billbowden
[...]
The old scameroo. That's the first thing that comes to my
mind whenever I get offered money for answering a too-easy
survey. It might be fun to answer the questions in a way that
makes it look like I'm a dangerous loonie about ready to blast
off, but I'd probably get a visit from Homeland Insecurity if I
did that these days. In case Homeland Insecurity is reading
this, let me assure them that though I am an obvious loonie,
I'm not dangerous and have never met anybody named
"Vladimir".

When my son was here, he noted the average of four or five
pieces of junk coming through my mailbox every day, and said
"You sure get a lot of mail". I sure do, though all I do is
contribute to a couple of charities of the kind that are unlikely
to alarm Homeland Insecurity (I thought I'd better add that
last bit - you never know.) If I started responding to surveys
that asked me whether I preferred boxers or briefs and
whatnot, that barrage of tree-killing might quickly rise to
twenty pieces of mail a day.
billbowden
2017-03-08 01:43:11 UTC
Post by billbowden
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by billbowden
[...]
I got my $10 today but they included a little book where I have to log all
the TV stations I watch and which hours for a couple weeks. I guess I could
just throw it away but since I don't watch much TV, it should be easy to do.
I also got a Jury Summons in the mail but all I have to do is call some
number to see if I need to go in. But I have to be ready to go in within an
hour if they call me for 5 days. So, I have to stay home for 5 days in April
to answer the phone.
.
rumpelstiltskin
2017-03-08 02:29:29 UTC
Post by billbowden
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by billbowden
[...]
What a pain. Of course, you could have a cell phone and then
at least you wouldn't have to stay home. Everybody's expected
to have a cell phone these days. There should be an exception
that people over 65 don't have to have cell phones, because
we haven't made the transition into modern times.

Today I confirmed that the new streetcars we're getting only
have seats that face inward. That way more standees can be
packed in (which is not given as a reason) and it will be easier
to accommodate disabled people (which IS given as a reason).
Although the new streetcars, as shown in pictures, look pretty
jazzy from the outside, I guess I won't be taking streetcars
much once the new ones arrive. One can get anywhere the
streetcars go, except to Fisherman's Wharf, by subway, and
it's quicker. The attraction of the streetcars has been that
one can look out the window and observe the world passing
by, but if all the seats face inward, that attraction will be
shot. The only thing one will be able to look at will be the
butts of mostly fat, old people standing up, so one might as
well take the faster subway.

b***@gmail.com
2017-02-25 09:00:05 UTC
If, as Rumpel suggests, Bill walked into a "dragon's lair" and Bill
is telling the truth about only listening to "right wing AM radio",
methinks the dragon will need a very large boat load of Pepto-Bismol.

Just sayin"