Colin Kaepernick calls for abolishing the police: 'A future without the terror of policing and prisons'
2020-10-08 14:30:48 UTC
By Ryan Gaydos
Published 1 hour ago

Colin Kaepernick wrote in an essay Tuesday he revisited his own
statements in 2016 when he explained why he knelt for the national
anthem and what change he wanted to see in policing.

Under the subheading title “F—k Reform," he wrote that his thinking
“was fastened to a reformist framework.” He admitted that he “missed
the larger picture.”

“The focus on individual punishment will never alter the outcome of a
system rooted in Black death. I wanted change. I wanted it to stop. I
wanted to reform what I saw. Yet, the reforms often proposed —
use-of-force policies, body cameras, more training, and police
accountability — were the same recycled police reforms consistently
proposed in the past. And in both the past and the present, these
reforms have done nothing to stop the actions that force us to
#SayTheirNames,” he added.

In the essay, Kaepernick called for abolishing the police and prisons.
The article was written on Medium as part of his Kaepernick Publishing
series.

Cut!

Lastly, Kaepernick argued for the abolition of the police. He wrote
that in doing so, it would give people a safer, healthier and freer
future.

“By abolishing policing and prisons, not only can we eliminate white
supremacist establishments, but we can create space for budgets to be
reinvested directly into communities to address mental health needs,
homelessness and houselessness, access to education, and job creation
as well as community-based methods of accountability,” he added.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/colin-kaepernick-abolishing-police-essay
Gary
2020-10-08 16:04:44 UTC
Post by Johnny
[...]
Proving -- once again -- that being a pro-football player does not
require a lot of intelligence.
Johnny
2020-10-08 16:20:01 UTC
On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 12:04:44 -0400
Post by Gary
Post by Johnny
[...]
That's what I was thinking. He doesn't have enough sense to realize
even if the population of this country was all black, police and
prisons would still be needed.