Mother Jones is fighting false news, needs contributions
2018-05-15 00:15:14 UTC
Newsletter to members:

"For a few months, we've been trying to figure out the best way Mother
Jones can tackle what I think is the most significant threat our
democracy faces right now.

It's not just President Donald Trump. It's not conflicts of interest,
dark money, or corruption. It's not even a broken media landscape that
incentivizes outrage and sensationalism when accountability journalism
is so desperately needed. This issue transcends-and exacerbates-all of
that.

What I believe needs more reporting firepower right now is the rise of
disinformation-who's behind deception and manipulation, and how
technology allows these to proliferate in secretive, incredibly fast,
and effective ways. We've never seen anything quite like this before.
So we want to do something we've never done: build a team dedicated to
tracking and exposing the forces behind disinformation as a new
reporting priority before this fall's midterms. To do it, we need to
raise $100,000 we didn't plan on-by June 30.

If you're already on board, I hope you'll make a tax-deductible
donation to help us fight disinformation today.

But you're a MoJo reader, and we've found that you want us to respect
your intelligence and lay out the bigger picture when asking for your
support. So if you'd like, you can read our plan here. There are lots
of ways to get involved beyond just supporting our investigation.
As I write in my new piece, the flood of disinformation out there is
daunting-and that's by design-but it's not beyond our control. There
is a lot of new research on how to counter disinformation. Some
recommendations across many of those studies: expand independent news
organizations, improve journalistic quality, and increase news
literacy.

That describes what Mother Jones and a good many other news
organizations are already doing. But I don't think what we're already
doing is quite enough. We have to confront disinformation directly,
and constantly. Our leaders, from politics to technology, won't fix
the problem-they benefit from a broken system. So it's on the rest of
us, and I hope I can count on you to help kick-start this new,
absolutely critical project.

A key part of our plan is hiring a data scientist and a full-time
reporter and giving them the support of our newsroom so we can tackle
the spread of disinformation with all the firepower we can muster.
We're also looking for readers like you to help us spot disinformation
before it's too late.

This isn't something we planned to do, but it's what the moment calls
for. And we can only do it if we raise $100,000 more than we planned
by June 30-the end of our fiscal year-so we can ramp up before the
midterms.

Practically, that means we need to raise $350,000-because rather than
just sticking with what we budgeted, we decided to do what Mother
Jones has always done: Go all in on the stories that rattle the
foundations of our democracy, and that not a lot of other newsrooms
are tackling.

And I'm confident you'll help us get off to a strong start by doing
what MoJo readers have done since we were founded as a nonprofit in
1976: support our unwavering, fearless journalism by making a
tax-deductible donation.

You can read more about how, together, we can mount a formidable fight
about the rise of disinformation here-and whether you're able to pitch
in or not, I hope you'll get involved.

Thanks for reading, and for everything you do to make Mother Jones
what it is."

Contributions:
2018-05-15 00:41:49 UTC
[...]
https://secure.motherjones.com/fnx/?action=SUBSCRIPTION&pub_code=DON&term_pub=DON&b_country=United+States&list_source=7H85EA1A&term=XX.1.50.00.DON.D.0.10663