Princeton professor pushes back on cancel culture on campuses: 'First Amendment is for all of us'
2020-07-31 19:18:05 UTC
By Julia Musto
Published 1 hour ago

The right to free speech in America needs to be protected, Princeton
University jurisprudence professor Robert George stated Friday.

George's comments during an interview on "Fox News @ Night" came
following a Michigan bed and breakfast's decision to remove their
Norwegian flag after dozens wrongly accused the owners of flying a
Confederate flag.

According to reporting from WLIX, when Greg and Kjersten Offbecker
created the St. Johns inn -- named The Nordic Pineapple -- they
installed the flag, hanging an American flag alongside it.

The pair then began to receive cruel emails and phone calls. Some were
even convinced that the "B&B" was built by Confederate leaders when, in
fact, union workers constructed the Civil War-era building for the
daughter of the Saint Johns founder.

Kjersten Offbecker said the flag was hung as a way for her to represent
her Scandinavian heritage. However, with the confusion, she took it
down because she said it was not worth the frustration.

Cut!

The Norwegian flag has the same colors as the Confederate flag, but the
patterns and symbols are different. The Confederate flag is red with a
blue “X” containing white stars.

"It's a combination of a very bad attitude and a great deal of
ignorance," George remarked. "You would think that Americans would be
able to tell what is and isn't a Confederate flag -- even if it's a
flag that, in some ways, resembles a Confederate flag.

"But, look at how quickly people just turn to outrage and tried to shut
these people down because they thought they had broken the rule against
wrongthink..." he told host Shannon Bream. "So, the combination of
malice and ignorance is really toxic."

George highlighted the importance of speaking up in defense of the free
speech rights of those you strongly may disagree with.

"Temple University was under pressure to discipline [Professor] Marc
Lamont Hill for some statements that I very strongly disagreed with.
But I, nevertheless, threatened to myself lead a protest...in defense
of the free speech rights of the very progressive Marc Lamont Hill," he
explained. "Because he has every bit of [a right to] free speech as I
have or as anybody else has.

"The First Amendment is for all of us," George pointed out.

"It's not the property of the left. It's not the property of the right.
It's not the conservatives'; it's not the liberals' [property]. It's
everybody's right..." he said.

"And so, we need to protect the free speech rights and stand up for the
free speech rights of those we oppose," George urged.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cancel-culture-campuses-princeton-professor
me
2020-07-31 21:18:38 UTC
You might be interested in this:
https://amgreatness.com/2020/07/29/from-alinsky-to-aoc-will-communism-finally-win-in-america/

According to Marcuse, in his seminal 1965 essay, “Repressive Tolerance,” classic tolerance has failed our societies. Why? Because it tolerates all ideas, even those that are “wrong.” As a result, tolerance as it has always been practiced is, in fact, “repressive tolerance,” since it permits the expression of “unjust” views that perpetuate exploitation and oppression.

As a result, we must redefine tolerance in such a way that oppression is removed. This means that from now on one need only tolerate that which does not maintain established societal norms of “oppression.” Tolerance, to be “real” tolerance from now on must be “partisan tolerance.” Did you track that? Could you follow the lunacy that maps beautifully with Orwell’s fictional work, Nineteen-Eighty-Four, wherein Big Brother states again and again that “war is peace” and that “freedom is slavery?”
Johnny
2020-07-31 21:37:31 UTC
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:18:38 -0700 (PDT)
Post by me
[...]
I think the Princeton professor is right. Ignorance is the blame for
this cancel culture. These people rioting in the streets are the
product of our public school system, and were probably never taught
anything about how our country was formed, and how the Constitution
came to be written. It's brainwashing by the mostly left leaning
teachers that have no respect for our country that cause these people
to act like they do.