The Dutch Death Spiral: From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police
2018-06-10 21:56:51 UTC
If someone criticizes Islam, or immigration, the Muslims try to kill
him and the government arrests him.

Would all of those who would like to move to Europe please raise their
hand? Would all of those who think it couldn't happen here, in the US,
please tell us why not?

----------------

"The Dutch Death Spiral
From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police

by Giulio Meotti, December 11, 2016 at 5:00 am

A country whose most outspoken filmmaker was slaughtered by an
Islamist; whose bravest refugee, hunted by a fatwa, fled to the
U.S.; whose cartoonists must live under protection, had better think
twice before condemning a Member of Parliament, whose comments about
Islam have forced him to live under 24-hour protection for more than
a decade, for "hate speech." Poor Erasmus! The Netherlands is no
longer a safe haven for free thinkers. It is the Nightmare for Free
Speech.

The most prominent politician in the Netherlands, MP Geert Wilders,
has just been convicted of "inciting discrimination and insulting a
minority group," for asking at a really if there should be fewer
Moroccans in the Netherlands. Many newly-arrived Moroccans in the
Netherlands seem to have been responsible for a disproportionate
amount of crime there.

Paul Cliteur, Professor of Jurisprudence at Leiden University, who
was called as an expert witness, summed up the message coming from
the court: "It would have been better if the Dutch state had sent a
clear signal [to terrorists] via a Dutch court that we foster a
broad notion of the freedom of expression in the Netherlands."

Here are just a few details to help understand what Wilders
experiences every day because of his ideas: No visitors are allowed
into his office except after a long wait to be checked. The Dutch
airline KLM refused to board him on a flight to Moscow for reasons
of "security." His entourage is largely anonymous. When a warning
level rises, he does not know where he will spend the night. For
months, he was able to see his wife only twice a week, in a secure
apartment, and then only when the police allowed it. The Parliament
had to place him in the less visible part of the building, in order
better to protect him. He often wears a bulletproof vest to speak in
public. When he goes to a restaurant, his security detail must first
check the place out.

Wilders's life is a nightmare. "I am in jail," he has said; "they
are walking around free."

The historic dimension of Wilders's conviction is related not only
to the terrible injustice done to this MP, but that it was the
Netherlands that, for the first time in Europe, criminalized
dissenting opinions about Islam. . . ."

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/9537/dutch-death-spiral
El Castor
Well, you seem to hate the US and Europe. Where is your happy place?
mg
2018-06-11 21:32:30 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:13:31 -0700, El Castor
If someone criticizes Islam, or immigration, the Muslims try to kill
him and the government arrests him.
Would all of those who would like to move to Europe please raise their
hand? Would all of those who think it couldn't happen here, in the US,
please tell us why not?
----------------
"The Dutch Death Spiral
From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police
[...]
I suppose I would be happy almost anywhere there's an internet because
I can do something that people aren't supposed to do: argue politics
and religion.

------------------------------
An idea is something you have;
an ideology is something that
has you.
-- Morris Berman
Gary
2018-06-11 22:11:23 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:13:31 -0700, El Castor
If someone criticizes Islam, or immigration, the Muslims try to kill
him and the government arrests him.
Would all of those who would like to move to Europe please raise their
hand? Would all of those who think it couldn't happen here, in the US,
please tell us why not?
----------------
"The Dutch Death Spiral
From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police
[...]
I am the same way. I love to argue politics and religion and
philosophy. But we aren't suppose to do that with friends/relatives.
And doing it with a stranger might be dangerous. On the internet,
I'm able to mention subjects I've thought about all my adult life.
And believe it or not -- on a few subjects -- I have actually been
convinced I was wrong. I have a lot of respect for posters who are
fairly broad-minded.
El Castor
Well, yes. (-8
mg
2018-06-12 03:51:52 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:13:31 -0700, El Castor
If someone criticizes Islam, or immigration, the Muslims try to kill
him and the government arrests him.
Would all of those who would like to move to Europe please raise their
hand? Would all of those who think it couldn't happen here, in the US,
please tell us why not?
----------------
"The Dutch Death Spiral
From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police
[...]
Actually Gary, I think you might deserve some sort of a prize as one
of the most broad-minded people in the group.
Gary
2018-06-12 11:20:24 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:13:31 -0700, El Castor
If someone criticizes Islam, or immigration, the Muslims try to kill
him and the government arrests him.
Would all of those who would like to move to Europe please raise their
hand? Would all of those who think it couldn't happen here, in the US,
please tell us why not?
----------------
"The Dutch Death Spiral
From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police
[...]
That's nice of you to say. For the past 12 or 14 years, I've grown
so use to being described as a "racist" and "bigot" -- I had begun to
think of myself that way.

Actually, I used the wrong word in my post. I said "argue" politics.
I should have said "discuss" politics, etc. Fools "argue".
Civilized people "discuss" :-)

It has surprised me how much we can learn when we actually discuss the
pros and cons of a subject over a period of time. I think we -- as a
culture -- would do better if we all "discussed" things in depth. But
-- we cannot. We are in the habit of accepting whatever our loved
ones (relatives and friends) say -- and dismissing any new thoughts we
hear. Especially from those we don't like.

I'm sure over the years, we have noticed how quickly people take sides
on the issue of religion. And if you disagree with them, you are a
tool of Satan ! It took news groups to show me that people are just
as sure of themselves when it comes to the subject of race! And ...
you better not disagree with them :-)
mg
2018-06-14 17:31:30 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:13:31 -0700, El Castor
If someone criticizes Islam, or immigration, the Muslims try to kill
him and the government arrests him.
Would all of those who would like to move to Europe please raise their
hand? Would all of those who think it couldn't happen here, in the US,
please tell us why not?
----------------
"The Dutch Death Spiral
From Paradise to Bolshevik Thought Police
[...]
In the old days, I think the word "argue" used to mean a reasoned,
polite, formal debate, but it, apparently, has now morphed into
something that includes a lot of anger and emotionalism.
Post by Gary
It has surprised me how much we can learn when we actually discuss the
pros and cons of a subject over a period of time. I think we -- as a
culture -- would do better if we all "discussed" things in depth. But
-- we cannot. We are in the habit of accepting whatever our loved
ones (relatives and friends) say -- and dismissing any new thoughts we
hear. Especially from those we don't like.
I'm sure over the years, we have noticed how quickly people take sides
on the issue of religion. And if you disagree with them, you are a
tool of Satan ! It took news groups to show me that people are just
as sure of themselves when it comes to the subject of race! And ...
you better not disagree with them :-)
I'm pushing 80 now and in my entire life, I've never actually found a
lot of value in listening to other people's opinions from a strictly
factual viewpoint.

I have found, though, that there's a lot of value, especially with
face-to-face communications, in reading between the lines and looking
past what people are saying and instead making a judgment about their
emotional condition and responding to that.
Emily
2018-06-12 22:42:35 UTC
Post by El Castor
Well, you seem to hate the US and Europe. Where is your happy place?
I suppose I would be happy almost anywhere there's an internet because
I can do something that people aren't supposed to do: argue politics
and religion.
I'm with you on that although I really don't think I'd like to live
where it gets any colder than it does here.
mg
2018-06-12 22:57:29 UTC
Post by El Castor
Well, you seem to hate the US and Europe. Where is your happy place?
I suppose I would be happy almost anywhere there's an internet because
I can do something that people aren't supposed to do: argue politics
and religion.
I'm with you on that although I really don't think I'd like to live
where it gets any colder than it does here.
I've always hated the winters more than anything up until the last
couple of years. Now, because of all the spring yard work, I'm
starting to think that maybe I hate spring worse than winter.
me
2018-06-12 06:59:07 UTC
I’m too old to hate. I can still observe. I’m now in Frankfurt, the home of the ECB. From what I see, life is pretty good here - much like what i see in the US. But is it real? Or is it illusion? I know a fellow who’s life was enviable until his debts could suddenly no longer be paid. He lost his glitzy business and his big house on the hill. Now he and his family lives in the father-in-law’s basement.