Current Republican Strategy Is Entirely Based On Trying To Scare Voters About Bad Things That Aren't Happening
Add Reply
Croatoan
2020-11-19 03:49:31 UTC
Lies, Damned Lies and Trump Rallies

Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?
Paul Krugman

By Paul Krugman

Opinion Columnist

Oct. 29, 2020

Credit...Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times
??????????????

Donald Trump lies a lot. In fact, he lies so often that several media
organizations try to keep a running tally, and even try to draw political
inferences from fluctuations in the number of lies he tells in a given
month (although the trend has been relentlessly upward).

But we’ve crossed some kind of threshold in the past few weeks. It’s not
so much that Trump is lying more as that the lies have become
qualitatively different — even more blatant, and increasingly untethered
to any plausible political strategy.

Back in the day, Trump lies tended to be those like his repeated claims
that he was about to unroll a health care plan that would be far better
and cheaper than Obamacare, while protecting pre-existing conditions.

Those of us following the issue closely knew that there was no such plan,
indeed that there couldn’t be given the logic of health insurance; we also
knew that he had made the same promise many times, but never delivered.

But ordinary voters aren’t experts in health policy and might not have
remembered all those broken promises, so there was at least a chance that
some people would be fooled.
Paul Krugman’s Newsletter: Get a better understanding of the economy — and
an even deeper look at what’s on Paul’s mind.

Unlock more free articles.

Create an account or log in

In a way, Trump’s claims to be the victim of a vast “deep state”
conspiracy were similar. They were obvious nonsense to people familiar
with how the government actually works. But many voters aren’t experts in
civics, and the conspiracy theorizing — like his claims that all negative
reports are “fake news” — helped shield him from awkward facts.

But Trump’s recent lies have been different.

On Tuesday the White House science office went beyond Trump’s now-standard
claims that we’re “rounding the corner” on the coronavirus and declared
that one of the administration’s major achievements was “ending the Covid-
19 pandemic.”

Who was that supposed to convince, when almost everyone is aware not only
that the pandemic continues, but that coronavirus cases and
hospitalizations are surging? All it did was make Trump look even more out
of touch.
Editors’ Picks
My Adult Son Moved In. It’s a Nightmare. Can I Kick Him Out?
Sacha Baron Cohen Duped Them. Here’s What They Did Next.
‘We Don’t Have to Put Up With This’: A Candid Conversation About Bodies

Wait, it gets worse. In last week’s debate, Trump declared that New York
is a “ghost town.” Eight million people can see with their naked eyes that
it isn’t.

On Monday, campaigning in Pennsylvania, Trump repeatedly claimed that
thanks to the state’s Democratic governor, “You can’t go to church.”
Thousands of churchgoing Pennsylvanians know that this simply isn’t true.

On Wednesday, campaigning in Arizona, Trump went on a rant about
California, where “you have a special mask. You cannot under any
circumstances take it off. You have to eat through the mask. Right, right,
Charlie? It’s a very complex mechanism.” As 39 million California
residents can tell you, nothing remotely like that exists.

Again, who is this supposed to convince? It’s hard to see any political
upside to such ludicrous confabulations, which demand that people reject
their own direct experience. All they do — I hate to say this, but it’s
obvious — is raise questions about the president’s stability.

So what’s going on? Trump wouldn’t be the first politician to lash out
wildly in the face of electoral defeat. “You won’t have Nixon to kick
around anymore.” Remember, also, that Roy Moore, defeated in Alabama’s
2017 special Senate election, never conceded.

In fact, almost everyone expects the mother of all temper tantrums, quite
possibly including calls for violence, if Trump does, in fact, lose next
week. To some extent he may just be getting an early start.

But there’s also, I’d argue, something deeper going on. What Trump has
been revealing, more clearly than ever before, is that he has a
totalitarian mind-set.

After those bizarre claims about California masks, I reread George
Orwell’s classic essay “Looking Back on the Spanish War.” Observing
Spain’s fascists and their fellow travelers — including many in the
British press! — Orwell worried that “the very concept of objective truth
is fading out of the world.” He feared a future in which, if the Leader
“says that two and two are five — well, two and two are five.”

The point is that for Trump and many of his supporters, that future has
already arrived. Does he believe that there’s any truth behind his bizarre
claims that Californians are being forced to eat through complicated
masks? That’s a bad question, because he doesn’t accept that there is such
a thing as objective truth. There are things he wants to believe, and so
he does; there are other things he doesn’t want to believe, so he doesn’t.

What’s scary about all this isn’t just the possibility that Trump may yet
win — or steal — a second term. It’s the fact that almost his entire
party, and tens of millions of voters, seem perfectly willing to follow
him into the abyss.

Indeed, current Republican strategy is almost entirely based on trying to
scare voters about bad things that aren’t happening — like a vast wave of
anarchist violence sweeping America’s cities — while not noticing bad
things that really are happening, like the pandemic and climate change.

This strategy may or may not work; this year it probably won’t. But either
way, it will poison America’s political life for many years to come.

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor.
We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here
are some tips. And here’s our email: ***@nytimes.com.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter
(@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

Paul Krugman has been an Opinion columnist since 2000 and is also a
Distinguished Professor at the City University of New York Graduate
Center. He won the 2008 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his
work on international trade and economic geography. @PaulKrugman
BeamMeUpScotty
2020-11-19 15:13:29 UTC
Post by Croatoan
[...]
Health care isn't the scary thing, Marxism and authoritarianism is....

Selling your freedom to these Democrats who're showing their affinity
for totalitarianism in their LOCK DOWNS that they install by their use
of FEAR.

Calling people who oppose them racists, and doxing them to intimidate
and create more fear.
--
TAKE THE RED PILL

https://www.oann.com/