Racist "joke" Email Targeting Michelle Obama Costs Sender Big Bucks Contract
Rita
2010-03-08 18:33:36 UTC
Walt Baker, the prominent CEO of the powerful Tennessee Hospitality
Association who was a key figure in gaining approval of the
controversial $585 million convention center, sent the kind of "joke"
email last night -- comparing First Lady Michelle Obama to Tarzan's
Cheeta -- that might stop even Michael Richards in his tracks.

Here is the Email:

Quoting Larry the Cable Guy...I don't care who you are, this is
funny...

I was at the store yesterday, and I ran into Tarzan! I asked him how
it was going and if he was into anymore movies.??

He told me that he could no longer make any more movies as he had
severe arthritis in both shoulders and could no longer swing from vine
to tree.

??I asked how Jane was doing, he told me she was in bad shape, in a
nursing home, has Alzheimer's and no longer recognizes anyone, how
sad. I asked about Boy, and he told me that Boy had gone to the big
city, got hooked up with bad women, drugs, alcohol, and the only time
he heard from him was if he was in trouble or needed something.?

I asked about Cheeta, he beamed and said she was doing good, had
married a Lawyer and now lived in the White House!!!

(In the Tarzan movies Cheeta is chimp.)

Baker forwarded the racist missive -- introduced with this: "Quoting
Larry the Cable Guy ... I don't care who you are, this is funny" -- to
12 prominent Nashvillians, including mayoral legislative aide Toby
Compton, Nashville Convention & Visitors' Bureau head Butch Spyridon,
lobbyists Joe Hall and Peter Heidenreich, former Scene editor and
publisher, respectively, Bruce Dobie and Albie Del Favero, and
Nashville Post reporter Ken Whitehouse.

Coming from a hospitality czar, the post didn't strike recipients as
particularly hospitable.

LATEST UPDATE, 3/6: Baker sent a one-word follow-up email to the
original recipients Friday afternoon. It read only, "Sorry."

And today, the publicly funded CVB announced it's canceling its
$50,000 marketing contract with Baker's company. Here's the statement
today from CVB president Butch Spyridon:

"On behalf of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau, I apologize
for the offensive email sent yesterday by Tennessee Hospitality
Association CEO Walt Baker. As a recipient of the email, I am
embarrassed for my organization and myself. The content is deeply
hurtful to all Nashvillians and beyond. The attitudes expressed in the
email are both appalling and unacceptable, and are not shared or
condoned in anyway by the NCVB or by me personally.

Nashville's hospitality industry has worked tirelessly to create a
welcoming environment for our visitors and this behavior discredits
the work done by so many. After serious consideration, the NCVB has
terminated its contract with Mr. Baker's marketing agency, Mercatus
Communications. I have communicated this action and my deep regrets
about the email to the Mayor's Office and other hospitality industry
leaders."
GLOBALIST
2010-03-08 18:38:22 UTC
I get that right wing crapola all the time and they all start out with
the same bullshit.."EVEN YOU WILL FIND THIS FUNNY."
Inferring that if you think it is racist, there is something wrong
with you and not that they have the mentality of a 12 year old.
All Is Fair
2010-03-08 18:49:54 UTC
I get that right wing crapola all the time and they all start out with
the same bullshit.."EVEN YOU WILL FIND THIS FUNNY."
Inferring that if you think it is racist, there is something wrong
with you and not that they have the mentality of a 12 year old.
UH OH - THIS ISN'T GOING TO TURN OUT WELL
By: Neal Boortz
@ March 8, 2010

First of all .. this guy's an idiot. But in reality he didn't do anything the Democrats didn't do ..
with glee .. when Bush was in office.

There's a group out there called the Tennessee Hospitality Association. The CEO is Walt Baker ... for
now. My guess is he's gone by the end of the day. What did he do? Well ... he saw a picture of
Michelle Obama with her lips pursed. We've all seen that expression. So this rocket surgeon sends out
an email ... to a group of public figures, no less ... that had the pursed-lips Michelle Obama picture
at the bottom alongside a picture of a chimpanzee.

As I said ... uhoh. Already the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau has already terminated its
marketing contract with Baker's outfit.

Why even bring this up? Well, I wanted to share this picture with you ....

Actually ... I think it's pretty funny. These comparisons are really pretty good. The point is, there
seemed to be very little outrage over the constant comparisons of George Bush to a chimp. Don't
believe me? Just google "Bush Chimpanzee" and check it out for yourself.

Oh well ... who said life was fair.
GLOBALIST
2010-03-08 18:59:19 UTC
Everyone is quite aware that African-Americans are often referred to
by bigots and racists as apes or monkeys. You're trying to state that
portraying Bush as a chimp was the same thing. So you think comparing
Bush to a chimp is a commentary on his race? You're a lying sack of
shit. I love how you white trailer trash folks think they rest of the
world can't see through your adolescent comments.
j***@nomail.com
2010-03-08 21:51:48 UTC
http://boortz.com/images/2010/03/bush-chimp_o.jpg
Actually ... I think it's pretty funny. These comparisons are really pretty good. The point is, there
seemed to be very little outrage over the constant comparisons of George Bush to a chimp. Don't
believe me? Just google "Bush Chimpanzee" and check it out for yourself.
Oh well ... who said life was fair.
Picking on Michelle is unfair and she is doing a great job. Just
yesterday I heard the DC fruit market has tripled their banana sales
to the White House since she arrived.

And if someone can't take a joke, fuck em. Heard and saw the same
kind of insults on Bush for years. They are the same damn thing,
except now the jokes are funny and better fit the subject.
freeisbest
2010-03-08 22:36:30 UTC
On Mar 8, 4:51 pm, ***@nomail.com wrote:
-snip-
And if someone can't take a joke, fuck em.  Heard and saw the same
kind of insults on Bush for years.  They are the same damn thing,
except now the jokes are funny and better fit the subject.
Wrong. As usual. You're still enraged because we told the truth
about Bush. You know perfectly well that when we talked about Bush's
defects... we weren't joking. We were preserving our loyalty to the
truth by commenting on the exact manner in which he revealed that
money could buy him the presidency but it couldn't buy a cure for his
astounding stupidity, crudity, gracelessness, bloated sense of
entitlement, and meanness of spirit.
Your 'jokes' about our well-meaning president, a gallant man
who is swamped by the horrible mess that Bush/Cheney made of our
country - your nasty little snits aren't jokes either. They're
insults.
j***@nomail.com
You taking them that way is an added bonus!
GlennR
2010-03-09 04:37:58 UTC
Post by j***@nomail.com
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:36:30 -0800 (PST), freeisbest
Post by freeisbest
-snip-
[...]
think again you fat ass, military rejected butthead,

you're an incipient, hillbilly loud mouth, loser, failure, and fuck up,
you can't insult your superiors, and,

everyone north of the mason dixon line is your superior,

as are all african americans of course

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH you cracker bitch
GlennR
2010-03-09 04:35:40 UTC
Post by j***@nomail.com
Post by All Is Fair
Oh well ... who said life was fair.
Picking on Michelle is unfair and she is doing a great job. Just
yesterday I heard the DC fruit market has tripled their banana sales
to the White House since she arrived.
And if someone can't take a joke, fuck em. Heard and saw the same
kind of insults on Bush for years. They are the same damn thing,
except now the jokes are funny and better fit the subject.
it's easy to understand your apparent bitterness, after decades of hearing
jokes about that fat ass hog of a hillbilly
wife of yours with the large snout, big ears, and curly tail who wouldn't
expect you to be bitter,

just give her a pat on that pink head and a big suey! for us the next time
yall go to slop her,

hey gomer just think, yall gonna enjoy those pork chops, hams, and bacon
when she croaks
Kettle Pot
2010-03-08 18:52:51 UTC
Post by Rita
[...]
Kettle calling pot black.

@ March 8, 2010 8:54 AM

leaders."
GlennR
2010-03-09 04:42:30 UTC
Post by All Is Fair
[...]
when they compare michelle to a chimp they are insulting michelle,

when they comapred bush to a chimp they were insulting the entire primate
species,

there are no primates as dumb as bush,

there are however, a bunch of hairy,smelly, knuckle dragging, inbred, cross
eyed, bow legged, albino freaks of nature,
more commonly known as hillbillies and republicans impersonating human
beings who individually and collectively
make bush look like einstein, these are the dumb asses who voted for him not
once but fucking twice !!!!

LMAO, a fucking rock would have been a better choice
Charlie
2010-03-09 16:31:52 UTC
Post by GlennR
Post by All Is Fair
[...]
So the negro fellow is still around, huh gator!!!

Rumpelstiltskin
2010-03-08 18:59:31 UTC
Post by Rita
[...]
Even if he is a racist, it's hard to believe any adult would be
so stupid as to mail out something like that, unless he lives
someplace where racism is so taken-for-granted that the people
there don't give it a second thought, and think that everybody
in the country, not just their little piece of it, thinks that way.

The NCVB had no choice, after that, than to cancel all
further dealings with him, ISTM, unless they wanted to lose
all credibility.

Who the heck is this "Larry the Cable Guy"? Is this somebody
who actually has a spot on the airwaves or newspapers?
freeisbest
2010-03-08 22:27:44 UTC
Post by Rita
[...]
Oh, good, a question I can answer. I've caught a few minutes
of his act a couple of times, while waiting to see Ron White.
L.t.C.G. (Daniel Whitney) is a comedian whose schtick is bein' jus'
plain folks, i.e., one of a family of fat, dumb, crude rednecks. In
C.G.-world, one dresses up for a funeral by leaving one's can of beer
in the truck and not hitting on the widow during the ceremony. This
person is not a Redneck, a Southerner, or a truck driver. He was born
in Nebraska, the son of a preacher who later moved to Palm Beach
County, Florida and became an elementary school principal
Wikipedia reports that L.t.C.G. has made 3 very predictable
films, and that 3 of his 7 comedy albums have sold more than 500,000
copies.
Rumpelstiltskin
2010-03-08 23:02:24 UTC
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:27:44 -0800 (PST), freeisbest
Post by freeisbest
Post by Rita
[...]
I guess if Paris Hilton can find an audience, then anybody
can, though I must admit I have a lot more respect so far for
Paris than for Cable Larry, no matter how many albums Larry
sold in redneck country, if this is a typical example.

Has anybody mentioned that Larry's insult started with
Obama's wife rather than with Obama himself?
Evelyn
2010-03-09 01:41:33 UTC
Post by freeisbest
Post by Rumpelstiltskin
Post by Rita
[...]
I don't know if Larry the Cable Guy actually wrote that, or if it is just
attributed to him like so many of these internet pass around things.
Somehow I doubt it.
--
Evelyn

"The purpose of our lives is to be happy" His Holiness, the Dalai Lama
Evelyn
2010-03-09 01:40:00 UTC
Post by Rumpelstiltskin
Post by Rita
[...]
He's a comedian who plays a really stupid redneck. In actuality he
probably is one to some degree but in his act he plays a worse one.

freeisbest
2010-03-08 22:39:25 UTC
Post by Rita
Walt Baker, the prominent CEO of the powerful Tennessee Hospitality
Association who was a key figure in gaining approval of the
controversial $585 million convention center, sent the kind of "joke"
email last night -- comparing First Lady Michelle Obama to Tarzan's
Cheeta -- that might stop even Michael Richards in his tracks.
-SNIP-
Post by Rita
[...]
I do love a morality play... Too bad we'll never get
documentary footage of what went on at Baker's office.