Incivility
Add Reply
b flanier
2018-11-08 19:11:54 UTC
So, OK, we all know how divided the country is what with some
thinking Trump is wonderful and others thinking Trump is not
so wonderful. One thing is certain, tho, Trump is not so
wonderful.

This current discombibbulation shows up in many different
ways. Take, for example, a simple question asked by a
citizen about where to get dry ice and getting the following
response from a so-called sentient fellow human:

"1. you can make it yourself by just freezing some dry water.
2. you can get dry ice probably from a dry eskimo.
3. put a tray of ice cubes in the dryer on Automatic Dry (High Heat)"

Now <that> is rude.

"Probably a reply from Dancy." ~W. Shakespeare
Gary
2018-11-08 21:03:33 UTC
Post by b flanier
So, OK, we all know how divided the country is what with some
thinking Trump is wonderful and others thinking Trump is not
so wonderful. One thing is certain, tho, Trump is not so
wonderful
Trump isn't much -- but he is a lot more wonderful than his 2016 opponent. I hope the
Democrats give that fact a little thought before choosing his opponent in 2020.
b flanier
2018-11-08 22:51:39 UTC
Trump isn't much -- but he is a lot more wonderful than his
2016 opponent. I hope the Democrats give that fact a
little thought before choosing his opponent in 2020.
I'm beginning to think the Dimmocrats are just not too bright.
They should not be losing elections inasmuch as there are so
many more of them than Republicans.

Here, a real bozo ran against a Republican and lost rather
convincingly. He made so many fundamental mistakes-like promising
to raise taxes, not having the "Wall", and doing away with ICE-
that Jesus*, himself, could not have won with those messages!

WHEW!!!

* I'm talking here of Jesus the bartender down the street not the
other guy.
CLOISTER
Oh that "Jesus"!
Gary
2018-11-09 12:44:07 UTC
Post by b flanier
Post by Gary
Trump isn't much -- but he is a lot more wonderful than his
2016 opponent. I hope the Democrats give that fact a
little thought before choosing his opponent in 2020.
I'm beginning to think the Dimmocrats are just not too bright.
They should not be losing elections inasmuch as there are so
many more of them than Republicans.
That's true. But maybe the problem is that a lot of the Democrats -- that the Dimmos
appeal to -- don't have enough intelligence to find the voting booth. What I call --
Dimwitcrats.
Post by b flanier
Here, a real bozo ran against a Republican and lost rather
convincingly. He made so many fundamental mistakes-like promising
to raise taxes, not having the "Wall", and doing away with ICE-
that Jesus*, himself, could not have won with those messages!
WHEW!!!
The election was terrible in Georgia. We had a chance for a "two for one". A "black"
"female" person could have become governor. A sweet little thing. (She is only five
feet tall and four feet wide). But a bad ol' white man beat her.
You mean Haysoos ?
El Castor
2018-11-09 18:08:29 UTC
Post by b flanier
So, OK, we all know how divided the country is what with some
thinking Trump is wonderful and others thinking Trump is not
so wonderful. One thing is certain, tho, Trump is not so
wonderful
Trump isn't much -- but he is a lot more wonderful than his 2016 opponent. I hope the
Democrats give that fact a little thought before choosing his opponent in 2020.
Don't hold your breath. Here's the Democrat platform ...

1. Open borders.
2. Tax the rich and punish capitalism.
3. Identity politics, as in White males are evil.
4. Promise 'em endless free stuff.

Q. What kind of dim wit jackass is going to campaign on that?
A. A dim wit jackass.
islander
2018-11-09 18:53:26 UTC
Post by b flanier
So, OK, we all know how divided the country is what with some
thinking Trump is wonderful and others thinking Trump is not
so wonderful. One thing is certain, tho, Trump is not so
wonderful
Trump isn't much -- but he is a lot more wonderful than his 2016 opponent. I hope the
Democrats give that fact a little thought before choosing his opponent in 2020.
Don't hold your breath. Here's the Democrat platform ...
1. Open borders.
2. Tax the rich and punish capitalism.
3. Identity politics, as in White males are evil.
4. Promise 'em endless free stuff.
Q. What kind of dim wit jackass is going to campaign on that?
A. A dim wit jackass.
You've been watching too much Fox News. Here is what liberals stand for:
1) equal social rights for minorities and women,
2) reliance on rule-of-law over individual or institutional power,
3) regulated markets and commerce,
4) progressive taxation as needed to support government activities, and
5) a government elected by the people in a fair and equitable election
process.

It appears that these policies served the Democrats well in the
midterms. Yes, there were a few disappointments, but a lot of
Republicans were removed from office up and down the ballot. It is good
to see the Democrats campaigning seriously at all levels of government.
b flanier
2018-11-09 19:36:15 UTC
And then there are the Republicans-always on the lookout for
voter fraud and ,of course, their specialty -finding ways to
thin the voting roles.
El Castor
2018-11-10 06:46:28 UTC
Post by b flanier
[...]
I support all 5, but as always, for both of us, the devil is in the
details. If you honestly support #5, are you disturbed by what is
currently happening in Broward and Palm Beach counties?
islander
2018-11-10 15:51:23 UTC
Post by b flanier
[...]
I am definitely disturbed by the continuing efforts on the part of
Republicans to find ways to avoid actually counting the votes.
El Castor
2018-11-10 19:07:20 UTC
Post by b flanier
[...]
And therein lies the problem. Your truth and my truth will seldom be
the same truth, and we each are sure we are correct. As the title of
this thread suggests, incivility.
islander
2018-11-11 15:15:02 UTC
Post by b flanier
[...]
Personally, I like Pinker's suggestion: "When in doubt, go to the
data." The data doesn't lie.

In Florida, procedures were put in place to solve the problems of the
2000 election. We need to give them the time to count the votes rather
than storming the election headquarters and attacking the Broward County
Supervisor of Elections with chants of "Lock her up!"

"Claims by Gov. Rick Scott, Sen. Marco Rubio, and President Donald Trump
that Democrats are "stealing" the 2018 elections in Broward County have
sparked the expected reaction. Despite the fact there appears to be zero
evidence backing up the claims, conspiracy theorists, right-wing
grifters, and pro-Trump protesters are now descending on the Broward
County Supervisor of Elections office.

"The "Broward County Election Theft" demonstration seems to have been
co-organized by a former Trump-campaign volunteer from Miami, Juan Fiol,
who has been posting online. Miami Herald reporter Alex Harris has
already posted that roughly 60 people appear to be outside right now
chanting "Lock her up!" at Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda
Snipes. The incident calls to mind the infamous 2000 "Brooks Brothers
riot" — a pro-Bush "protest" that right-wing provocateur Roger Stone
later admitted he organized."
https://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news/florida-recount-trump-fans-protest-at-broward-elections-office-10029580

Free speech?
Gary
2018-11-11 16:26:17 UTC
[...]

You don't need evidence -- when you accuse a group of doing ..... what it has always
done. My Southern ancestors were all Democrats. And nobody knew how to streal an
election like they did/do.
El Castor
2018-11-11 22:21:34 UTC
[...]
They keep "finding" ballots. Huh? How is that? I guess we will never
know.
b flanier
2018-11-11 23:40:38 UTC
They keep "finding" ballots. Huh? How is that? I guess we will never
know.
Here in Aridzona, the Senate race has yet to be decided because
over 300,000 write-in ballots were deposited on election day. These
took time to be counted since the explanation is that they could only
count ~75k/day at least in Maricopa County. These were not "found"
just not counted at the end of election day.

Of course, there is an eagle eye on all those fraudulent ballots cast
by illegal brown folks that is the "stay-up-at-nite-worrying" thingy
that the Republicans are wont to do. They just don't want every Tom,
Dick and Jose voting you know. <grin>
Gary
2018-11-12 11:56:17 UTC
[...]
When I was a teenager in Georgia, dead people were the most solid vote the
Democrats had. (That was back in the late 1950s -- when everybody I knew was a
Democrat) I use to know the guy in charge of the voting list. Our town had
four wards. He referred to the cemetery as the "Fifth Ward". The 5th ward
only reported if the Democrats were losing.

Maybe that's the ward they are counting in Florida :-)
islander
2018-11-12 16:02:53 UTC
[...]
Alternatively, I think what we are looking at here is an underfunded and
understaffed election operation which is overwhelmed by the response,
especially the number of ballots that are finding their way through the
mail from residents who are abroad. The unsubstantiated claims of fraud
and unreasonable time limits are not helping. Meanwhile, the
Republicans are doing everything that they can to undermine confidence
in the election results. What does that accomplish? Perhaps we should
let the staff do their job and do everything that we can to count every
vote.
El Castor
2018-11-12 20:13:52 UTC
[...]
Hmmm. I think I may have discovered the reason they are underfunded --
or maybe just up to their old tricks? Seems Broward County was fined
$200,000 in 2016 for violating state and federal election laws. (-8

"The Broward County Supervisor of Elections Office violated state and
federal laws by destroying ballots from a 2016 Congressional race too
soon — and while the ballots were the subject of a lawsuit against the
office, a judge has ruled.
Based on that ruling, Florida’s Department of State will send election
experts to the Broward elections office in the upcoming election “to
ensure that all laws are followed,” the governor’s office said. It
could also cost the elections office more than $200,000 to pay
attorney’s fees for Tim Canova, the defeated candidate who sued the
office."
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-broward-elections-supervisor-broke-law-snipes-canova-20180514-story.html

We even have problems out here in well funded sunny California. My
county, which is solidly liberal, mails voter pamphlets to each
registered voter. The pamphlet contains all the candidate info,
proposition arguments, etc. On the first page the parties list the
candidate names they support. This year they listed the Democrats, but
forgot the Republicans. )-8
islander
Isn't that done by the League of Women Voters?
El Castor
2018-11-13 07:22:10 UTC
[...]
No, the county Registrar of Voters office.

"In a slip-up by the Marin County Registrar of Voters’ office, the
California Republican Party’s endorsements for the Nov. 6 election
were omitted from the voter information guide and sample ballot that
was mailed to Marin voters late last month."
https://www.marinij.com/2018/10/13/marin-voter-guide-mistakenly-omits-republican-endorsements/

I'm not implying that it was done on purpose, but I can't help but
feel that if it was the Democratic Party endorsements that were
omitted, the mistake would have been caught much sooner.
islander
2018-11-13 16:06:10 UTC
[...]
Looks like an unfortunate, but innocent error.
“This time the information was emailed to someone else in the office; I
never saw it,” Roberts said. “The person who got it knew it usually
comes in by fax and didn’t think to forward it on to me. That is the
unfortunate thing that happened.”
El Castor
2018-11-13 17:46:02 UTC
[...]
I'm sure it was an innocent error, however someone in the heavily
Democrat Registrar's office would probably have spotted a Republican
page, sans Democrat candidates. Anyhow, annoying. My big
disappointment in that election was the defeat of Prop 5 which would
have allowed over 55 homeowners to take their property tax with them
if they moved to another California county. )-8
islander
2018-11-14 15:36:00 UTC
[...]
You are living with the consequences of Prop 13 and it will be as
difficult to change as rent control. Right now, Prop 13 is keeping
houses off the market and depressing values. Can you imagine what would
have happened if Prop 5 passed? We have a better system here in WA,
IMV. Low income seniors can get a break on taxes without any
constraints on property ownership. It benefits those who need the
break, unlike the artificial situation in CA under Prop 13.
El Castor
2018-11-14 20:08:50 UTC
[...]
Government expands to meet the tax money available to pay for it.
Maybe the WA system is better, but I do know that without Prop13,
taxes would have been through the roof long before the wife and I
retired -- which undoubtedly would have delayed our retirement, or
forced us to move to the boondocks. BTW -- we do get an additional
break on school bonds. As it is, we can afford to live in one of the
most desirable places on the planet -- assuming it doesn't catch fire.
(-8
b***@gmail.com
Prop 13 benefits renters as well as owners. Without prop 13, my rent would go through the roof.
El Castor
2018-11-15 09:12:37 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
Yup. We would be paying an extra $10,000 a year. Without Prop 13,
Oregon and Texas would start looking a lot more attractive.

mg
2018-11-10 01:18:14 UTC
On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 10:08:29 -0800, El Castor
Post by b flanier
So, OK, we all know how divided the country is what with some
thinking Trump is wonderful and others thinking Trump is not
so wonderful. One thing is certain, tho, Trump is not so
wonderful
Trump isn't much -- but he is a lot more wonderful than his 2016 opponent. I hope the
Democrats give that fact a little thought before choosing his opponent in 2020.
Don't hold your breath. Here's the Democrat platform ...
1. Open borders.
2. Tax the rich and punish capitalism.
3. Identity politics, as in White males are evil.
4. Promise 'em endless free stuff.
Q. What kind of dim wit jackass is going to campaign on that?
A. A dim wit jackass.
The Democratic party as we used to know it no longer exists. It has
been taken over by the neoliberals.

"Neo-liberalism" is a set of economic policies
that have become widespread during the last 25
years or so. Although the word is rarely heard
in the United States, you can clearly see the
effects of neo-liberalism here as the rich grow
richer and the poor grow poorer."
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=376

----------------------------------
Neoliberalism is associated with
the economic policies introduced by
Margaret Thatcher in the United
Kingdom and Ronald Reagan in the
United States.
-- Wikipedia
b flanier
2018-11-10 19:26:23 UTC
The Democratic party as we used to know it no longer exists. It has
been taken over by the neoliberals.
And the same can be said for the Republican Party. It has been taken over
by the Trumpsters.

Trump, with his winner take all at any cost, is a fundamental danger
to this county even in the face of some corrections that are needed
to the political scene. What little Trump is doing right is not worth
the destruction being caused.

We need to get back to political comity and stop appealing to the
worst impulses of human society.
islander
2018-11-13 16:10:54 UTC
Post by b flanier
Post by mg
The Democratic party as we used to know it no longer exists. It has
been taken over by the neoliberals.
And the same can be said for the Republican Party. It has been taken over
by the Trumpsters.
Trump, with his winner take all at any cost, is a fundamental danger
to this county even in the face of some corrections that are needed
to the political scene. What little Trump is doing right is not worth
the destruction being caused.
We need to get back to political comity and stop appealing to the
worst impulses of human society.
It looks like McSally and Sinema in the race for Senate in Arizona have
given us a lesson in civility. Perhaps the Republicans would benefit
from running more women.
b flanier
2018-11-13 18:11:36 UTC
It looks like McSally and Sinema in the race for Senate in Arizona have
given us a lesson in civility. Perhaps the Republicans would benefit
from running more women.
As you know by now, Sinema has won the office, even tho all the votes
have yet to be counted, at least McSally has conceded.

McSally ran an interesting campaign. She originally stood off from Trump,
then to win the primary,embraced him, then conceding, backed off again from
Trump. This vacillation did not play well with the voters according to some
pundits. Perhaps, IMHO, Az. may be coming in from the cold with this
result. One never knows what with all the discontents retiring here.
islander
2018-11-14 15:28:25 UTC
Post by b flanier
Post by islander
It looks like McSally and Sinema in the race for Senate in Arizona have
given us a lesson in civility. Perhaps the Republicans would benefit
from running more women.
As you know by now, Sinema has won the office, even tho all the votes
have yet to be counted, at least McSally has conceded.
McSally ran an interesting campaign. She originally stood off from Trump,
then to win the primary,embraced him, then conceding, backed off again from
Trump. This vacillation did not play well with the voters according to some
pundits. Perhaps, IMHO, Az. may be coming in from the cold with this
result. One never knows what with all the discontents retiring here.
AZ still has an open seat that is presently occupied by Jon Kyl
(appointed to fill John McCain's seat) who will serve in a temporary
basis until January. At that point, the governor will have to appoint
another temporary Senator and is required to stick with the party of the
person who died - I have no idea why. Given the circumstances, it looks
like McSally may get a Senate seat despite losing the election. Of
course it is only temporary and she will then have to run again.
Democrats seem to think that it may be possible to gain another seat
making AZ increasingly blue. We live in interesting times...