Gab gaining 10,000 users per hour, CEO claims, after Trump's permanent Twitter suspension
2021-01-10 16:02:37 UTC
By Brie Stimson
Published 7 hours ago

Gab, a more conservative-friendly alternative social media platform to
Twitter, claimed Saturday it is gaining 10,000 users an hour in the
wake of Twitter permanently suspending President Trump’s account.

Trump has also been blocked from posting on Facebook and Instagram --
at least until his term ends.

“The traffic just keeps growing hang tight, even more servers on the
way today,” Gab CEO Andrew Torba wrote on the site Saturday.

Trump and several prominent supporters like Gen. Michael Flynn and
attorney Sidney Powell were also banned from Twitter following the
deadly pro-Trump riot at the U.S. Capitol Wednesday.

Torba tweeted late Saturday the site had 18 million visits Saturday and
500,000 new users.

Gab, which launched a few years ago, calls itself a "social network
that champions free speech, individual liberty and the new free flow of
information online.”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/gab-usership-surges-following-trumps-permanent-twitter-suspension
Josh Rosenbluth
2021-01-10 18:11:25 UTC
Post by Johnny
[...]
That's great, and the reason why Section 230 need not be repealed. Let
both Gab. Twitter and the rest each choose what they want to block.
Johnny
2021-01-10 18:13:28 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:11:25 -0800
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
It's not going to happen. Did you read the article about Amazon
shutting down Parler?
Josh Rosenbluth
2021-01-10 19:00:41 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
So, you posted an article extolling the early success of Gab and now
dismiss they can be successful?
Post by Johnny
Did you read the article about Amazon
shutting down Parler?
I did and that is problematic if Parler has nowhere else to go. But the
solution in that case is not to repeal 230, but instead to breakup
Amazon if they have a monopoly on servers that the market can't break by
itself.
El Castor
2021-01-10 20:56:20 UTC
Post by Johnny
Did you read the article about Amazon
shutting down Parler?
I did and that is problematic if Parler has nowhere else to go. But the
solution in that case is not to repeal 230, but instead to breakup
Amazon if they have a monopoly on servers that the market can't break by
itself.
I'm a fan of Amazon, but there can be too much of a good thing. We do
have antitrust laws for a reason.
islander
2021-01-10 23:18:21 UTC
Post by Johnny
Did you read the article about Amazon
shutting down Parler?
I did and that is problematic if Parler has nowhere else to go. But the
solution in that case is not to repeal 230, but instead to breakup
Amazon if they have a monopoly on servers that the market can't break by
itself.
I'm a fan of Amazon, but there can be too much of a good thing. We do
have antitrust laws for a reason.
This is strange. Parler evidently uses servers at Apple, Google, and
Amazon, but they can use any of a universe of servers or even set up
their own. Why would this be anti-trust?
El Castor
2021-01-11 06:31:37 UTC
Post by Johnny
Did you read the article about Amazon
shutting down Parler?
I did and that is problematic if Parler has nowhere else to go. But the
solution in that case is not to repeal 230, but instead to breakup
Amazon if they have a monopoly on servers that the market can't break by
itself.
I'm a fan of Amazon, but there can be too much of a good thing. We do
have antitrust laws for a reason.
This is strange. Parler evidently uses servers at Apple, Google, and
Amazon, but they can use any of a universe of servers or even set up
their own. Why would this be anti-trust?
I really wasn't thinking of Parler. Amazon has had me puzzled for a
long time. I shop there almost daily. I can remember the time when, if
I needed something, it might be a 20 or 30 mile journey looking for
it. Now I just pickup an iPad. Bookstores and record shops are gone,
Sears is history, local Macys and JC Penney have closed, and during
the pandemic when we rarely visit Costco, no paper products. Just
pickup the iPad and there is all the toilet paper and paper towels you
could want. This afternoon needed some fermented black beans for a
recipe. How many stores carry fermented black beans? Amazon does. I
was just saying to my wife that I wondered how many closed retail
stores would be re-opening post Covid. Those who never relied on
Amazon certainly do now. Just got through watching a movie on Prime. I
love Amazon, but there is something unhealthy about it -- not their
fault, but it's there nonetheless.
islander
2021-01-11 16:41:59 UTC
Post by Johnny
[...]
Amazon produced a similar revolution in retail that Walmart did, just
without the bricks and mortar. Same issues in supply chain management,
but also similar troubling "creative destruction" of small merchants.

When I first moved to the island, I figured that I could get anything
that I wanted, just had to wait for a local merchant to order it for me.
That is no longer the case. Yes, I use Amazon extensively now, but it
worries me that I am becoming too dependent.
El Castor
2021-01-11 18:47:28 UTC
Post by Johnny
[...]
A lot of what they sell is on behalf of 3rd party retailers, something
they seem to encourage. When the pandemic began, some of those 3rd
parties were engaging in price gouging. To Amazon's credit they tried
to put a stop to it. An easy answer might seem to be antitrust laws,
but I can't see how that would work in this case. Oh well, the world
is changing. The current crop of Millenials will just have to figure
it out. (-8
islander
2021-01-12 01:48:00 UTC
Post by Johnny
[...]
Don't you think that Amazon is going to get the 3rd party retailers by
the balls just like Walmart has done?

El Castor