Fake Photo????
b flanier
2018-08-09 07:05:51 UTC
What with some here (and they know who they are) with their
shorts in a bunch attempting to unravel trVth from falsity
take the easy way out and label almost everything "fake" news,
it might be useful to ask if there are also "fake" photos?

Oh sure, there are "photoshopped" photos certainly-we know
about them but did you see the photo of two Trump supporters
who were spotted at the president’s last rally, in Ohio,
wearing T-shirts that read:

“I’d rather be Russian than a Democrat.”

That’s an interesting data point. It's something to think
about when you vote for Trump.
GLOBALIST
2018-08-09 11:31:44 UTC
Post by b flanier
What with some here (and they know who they are) with their
shorts in a bunch attempting to unravel trVth from falsity
take the easy way out and label almost everything "fake" news,
it might be useful to ask if there are also "fake" photos?
Oh sure, there are "photoshopped" photos certainly-we know
about them but did you see the photo of two Trump supporters
who were spotted at the president’s last rally, in Ohio,
“I’d rather be Russian than a Democrat.”
That’s an interesting data point. It's something to think
about when you vote for Trump.
What about "I am a Russian Republican"?
Actually there is not a thing wrong with being a Russian
They are an incredible good folks.
I think the tee shirt if about all the silliness surrounding
Muellers silly Russian probe.
Weatherman
Treason is not silly, stupid traitor.
islander
2018-08-09 14:27:28 UTC
Post by b flanier
What with some here (and they know who they are) with their
shorts in a bunch attempting to unravel trVth from falsity
take the easy way out and label almost everything "fake" news,
it might be useful to ask if there are also "fake" photos?
Oh sure, there are "photoshopped" photos certainly-we know
about them but did you see the photo of two Trump supporters
who were spotted at the president’s last rally, in Ohio,
“I’d rather be Russian than a Democrat.”
That’s an interesting data point. It's something to think
about when you vote for Trump.
I'm not sure what point you are attempting to make. Fake news and
related fake photos and fake audio are a serious problem, especially in
an increasingly divided country.

A couple of stories from my personal experience. Back in the '90s I had
the experience of working with a very good sound engineer to "clean up"
the audio in my narration in a video promoting a project that I was
working on. This guy was really very good. He would pull out an "s"
sound from one part of the audio and replace another part to make it
better. This was over 25 years ago! It was a pleasure working with him
and to observe his skills in producing a top quality product. The
technology has improved a great deal since then as evidenced by the work
of a Canadian company, Lyrebird. They claim to be able to produce audio
recordings of speech that was never actually spoken and their examples
are pretty impressive. https://lyrebird.ai/ There is a sample of their
work where the "voices" of Trump, Obama, and Clinton are used to promote
their product in the following Scientific American article about the
technology.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-ai-tech-can-mimic-any-voice/

Secondly, I used to be pretty good with Photoshop and had occasion to
use it to punk a friend of mine. He had gone to a lot of trouble to
assemble a slide show that he intended to use in a roast of his wife on
her 60th birthday. He asked me to take care of running the computer and
projector. I thought that he was being a little rough on her and took
advantage of his trust by adding a slide in his carefully prepared work
which included his face on the body of an overweight super hero. It got
a good laugh and he recovered from the surprise quickly. We remained
good friends. This was pretty simple but is an example of how an
amateur could create a fake photo using Photoshop fifteen years ago.
The technology has continued to advance. A Los Angeles startup out of
USC claims to be able to produce life-like avatars from a single selfie.
https://www.pinscreen.com/. A second research project at the
University of Washington demonstrated the ability to realistically
synthesize video from speech. Their example shows Obama video that is
synthesized compared to the actual video - pretty impressive!
http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/AudioToObama/

This presents all sorts of ethical problems. If you cannot trust your
own ears and eyes, what can you trust? There are legitimate
applications of this technology, but the potential for misuse for
nefarious purpose is evident.
b flanier
2018-08-09 21:31:34 UTC
I'm not sure what point you are attempting to make. ...
Only my astonishment at the attitude of those two who would
wear a T-shirt with that message.

As you point out correctly, the technology that is available
to every Tom, Dick and Harry, to manipulate is such that it
becomes difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Of course,there have always been "spin" methods but the
technology to do this "spinning" is now unprecedented
and scary in the hands of those with an agenda. It is
not reasonable to expect those who are immersed in earning
their daily bread to be totally aware of these methods.
Which is why the efforts of some to discredit the Fourth
Estate is so dangerous to a free society. Who can you trust
to provide info that is needed? Not only "who" but "how".
b***@gmail.com
Who cares how they spin it? If you are a Republican you vote one way, and if a Democrat the other way. I get my news from right wing radio shows and vote the way they recommend. Bill Handel of KFI is pretty much center of the road and puts out a pretty straight idea of the real issues. I voted for one Democratic candidate a few years ago when Bill Handel recommended him. He was a new democratic guy running for his first election and Handel wanted to give him a chance. So, I voted for him.
islander
2018-08-10 01:56:51 UTC
Post by b flanier
I'm not sure what point you are attempting to make. ...
Only my astonishment at the attitude of those two who would
wear a T-shirt with that message.
As you point out correctly, the technology that is available
to every Tom, Dick and Harry, to manipulate is such that it
becomes difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Of course,there have always been "spin" methods but the
technology to do this "spinning" is now unprecedented
and scary in the hands of those with an agenda. It is
not reasonable to expect those who are immersed in earning
their daily bread to be totally aware of these methods.
Which is why the efforts of some to discredit the Fourth
Estate is so dangerous to a free society. Who can you trust
to provide info that is needed? Not only "who" but "how".
Then again, perhaps the two with the T-shirts may have just been punking
the press. Some people have a strange sense of humor!

I'm encouraged to see that there are quite a few people who specialize
in identifying "fake" audio and video. It is like the two contractors
who met while waiting for an appointment at the Pentagon. One
manufactured munitions and the other manufactured armor. One complained
that when he met one set of specs, the military came out with a more
difficult set of specs. The other exclaimed, that is my experience too!
b flanier
2018-08-10 04:31:00 UTC
Then again, perhaps the two with the T-shirts may have just been punking
the press. Some people have a strange sense of humor!
I would give that possibility a zero chance of being true! And,
let us not forget it happened at a Trump rally; we know the
type of yahoos who attend those events.

"While I don't like Trump, I'll vote for him because I agree
with his polices." ~LeRoy Robert Ripley