The vast number of people who said they were willing to move to Georgia just so they can vote in the runoff election has prompted pushback from officials
2020-11-17 14:32:20 UTC
By Bradford Betz
Published 12 hours ago

Cut!

“In order to be able to register to vote in Georgia, you have to be a
Georgia resident,” he said. “That means you have to believe you are
staying in Georgia.”

Those who try to vote in Georgia while merely visiting the state may
face felony charges punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a
$100,000 fine.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/californians-georgia-help-democrats-senate-races

All these people have to do is fly to Georgia, rent a room, and stay
through the election.

Anyone think that's fair?
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-11-17 17:00:08 UTC
Post by Johnny
By Bradford Betz
Published 12 hours ago
Cut!
“In order to be able to register to vote in Georgia, you have to be a
Georgia resident,” he said. “That means you have to believe you are
staying in Georgia.”
Those who try to vote in Georgia while merely visiting the state may
face felony charges punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a
$100,000 fine.”
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/californians-georgia-help-democrats-senate-races
All these people have to do is fly to Georgia, rent a room, and stay
through the election.
Anyone think that's fair?
Nope. As much as I like Andrew Yang, he would be violating Georgia law
if he followed up on his intentions.
Johnny
2020-11-17 17:16:36 UTC
On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 09:00:08 -0800
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
By Bradford Betz
Published 12 hours ago
Cut!
“In order to be able to register to vote in Georgia, you have to be
a Georgia resident,” he said. “That means you have to believe you
are staying in Georgia.”
Those who try to vote in Georgia while merely visiting the state may
face felony charges punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a
$100,000 fine.”
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/californians-georgia-help-democrats-senate-races
All these people have to do is fly to Georgia, rent a room, and stay
through the election.
Anyone think that's fair?
Nope. As much as I like Andrew Yang, he would be violating Georgia
law if he followed up on his intentions.
I don't see how it would be violating the law. Georgia doesn't have a
time requirement for living in the state to vote, and it would be hard
to prove someone didn't think they would be staying there.
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-11-17 18:29:20 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
If they moved back to CA a week later, that might be enough proof. So
might leaving tw months later without changing your driver's license or
here your mail is sent.
El Castor
2020-11-17 19:14:30 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
A fake move to Georgia just to vote in an election seems to me to be
something only a hyper political loon would do. Incredible that anyone
would even consider it. If they break the law in doing so, they amply
deserve the full measure of whatever punishment is in order. On the
other hand any American citizen can contribute to the Georgia
campaigns of Perdue and Loeffler, and I would encourage you to do so.
Their site includes all the details about legalities, maximum amounts,
etc. Here's the link ...

"Do your part to defend the majority and keep Georgia red by splitting
a donation between Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue today"
https://secure.winred.com/georgians-for-kelly/perdue-for-senate-defend-the-majority
islander
2020-11-17 23:22:23 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
Sorry, but you have to be a legal resident of Georgia in order to vote
there. That means that you have to be a legal resident on Dec 31 and
have been living in GA for 183 days. Criteria for establishing legal
residency is on the GA web site and requirements for voting are also there.
Johnny
2020-11-17 23:40:51 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
Residency Requirements for Voting

The Supreme Court decision of March 21, 1972, declared lengthy
requirements for voting in state and local elections unconstitutional
and suggested that 30 days was an ample period. Most of the states have
changed or eliminated their durational residency requirements to comply
with the ruling, as shown.

Georgia No durational residency requirement. 30-day registration
requirement.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/government/elections/residency-requirements-for-voting
islander
2020-11-17 23:14:22 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
By Bradford Betz
Published 12 hours ago
Cut!
“In order to be able to register to vote in Georgia, you have to be a
Georgia resident,” he said. “That means you have to believe you are
staying in Georgia.”
Those who try to vote in Georgia while merely visiting the state may
face felony charges punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a
$100,000 fine.”
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/californians-georgia-help-democrats-senate-races
All these people have to do is fly to Georgia, rent a room, and stay
through the election.
Anyone think that's fair?
Nope. As much as I like Andrew Yang, he would be violating Georgia law
if he followed up on his intentions.
What this traces back to is concern expressed by the Republican
candidates that the demographics of Georgia have changed due to an
influx of people seeking low cost of living. Fox seems to have taken
this and distorted it into a conspiracy of people who would travel to
Georgia to violate the law just to add their vote. Pretty far fetched, IMV.

As to Andrew Yang, he did not say that he was going to attempt to vote
in Georgia. He is simply one of the people who feel strongly enough
about the election to volunteer to help, just like Republicans who are
traveling to Georgia to help their candidates. Personally, I don't see
a problem.
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-11-17 23:31:46 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
If Yang is moving to help, but not vote, then I like him even more than
I did before!
El Castor
2020-11-18 07:38:07 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
The demographics of Texas have been altered by Californians moving
there in wholesale numbers. $350K -- $400K will buy you a veritable
mansion, one that would be north of $2 million in San Francisco. Boise
Idaho has become the fastest growing metropolitan area in the US for
the same reason.