US middle class no longer the world’s richest
2018-05-15 12:08:49 UTC
Thomas Piketty's book, "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" is
available from Amazon starting at $4.88.

-------------------

"New research shows America's middle class no longer the world's
richest and its the CANADIANS that have taken over

By David Mccormack

Published: 18:41 EDT, 22 April 2014

The country's middle class has lost its distinction of being the
most affluent in the world

LIS research over the past 35 years shows that lower- and
middle-income groups in the U.S. have plateaued over that time

Canada's middle class has overtaken the U.S. in recent years and a
number of Western European countries have caught up too

The median U.S. income - $18,700 - has barely changed since 2000

Yet according to per capita gross domestic product the U.S. has
maintained its lead as the world’s richest large country

Only a small percentage of Americans are benefiting from this
continued growth
. . .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2610707/New-research-shows-Americas-middle-class-no-longer-worlds-richest-CANADIANS-taken-over.html

----------------------------------
If you’ve been in the [poker] game
30 minutes and you don’t know who
the patsy is, you’re the patsy.
-- Warren Buffett
rumpelstiltskin
-- Warren Buffett
rumpelstiltskin
2018-05-15 13:49:20 UTC
[...]
You've been reported to the un-American activities
branch of the CIA, for not pledging allegiance to the
united oligarchy of America.

-- Victor Frankenstein

I've still barely started the Pinker "Enlightenment
Now", but I already ran into this gem on pages
11-12 of the paperback edition, at the laundromat
yesterday:

"The ideal of progress also should not be
confused with the 20th-century movement to
re-engineer society for the convenience of
technocrats and planners,which the political
scientist James Scott calls Authoritarian High
Modernism, The movement denied the
existence of human nature, with its messy
needs for beauty, nature, tradition, and social
intimacy. Starting from a "clean tablecloth,"
the modernists designed urban renewal
projects that replaced vibrant neighborhoods
with freeways, high-rises, windswept plazas,
and brutalist architecture. "Mankind will be
reborn," they theorized, and "live in an
ordered relation to the whole." Though these
developments were sometimes linked to the
word "progress", the usage was ironic:
"progress" unguided by humanism is not
progress,

An example of the above is the boxes of
apartments with no character, springing up
among the Victorians (such as I live in) in
San Francisco. Their characterlessness
adds nothing to the neighborhoods, and in
fact detracts from the character. I imagine
in my deep prejudice that the people living
in them are often the patrons of the "Google
Buses" taking people back and forth to work
down the Peninsula. People throw rocks at
the Google Buses.

I'm probably being unfair, since many of
the people might be normal folks who need
a place to live and are just taking what they
can get. I don't like to see San Francisco
losing its character though. There are tours
of my neighborhood. I often hear voices
outside, and look out the window to see tour
guides talking to crowds of people in front
of my building, though my building is no
showcase like the "painted ladies" on
Alamo square, or even the recently-fixed-up
Victorian across the street.

Here are the Alamo Square "Painted Ladies":
https://tinyurl.com/ya3r2ou3
Post by mg
----------------------------------
If you’ve been in the [poker] game
30 minutes and you don’t know who
the patsy is, you’re the patsy.
-- Warren Buffett
I've seen that before, but not attributed to Warren
Buffet. This site says that he quoted it, not that
he created it.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/07/09/poker-patsy/

There's not much point adding names to quotations
when they're all false. Usually it's Einstein, who
would never have had time to investigate relativity
if he'd had to make up the millions of quotations
falsely attributed to him, many of which sound more
like quotations from people in homes for the
mentally disabled.
b flanier
2018-05-15 19:34:18 UTC
There's not much point adding names to quotations
when they're all false. Usually it's Einstein, ...
"Nein, nein...I said every single thing that is said I said.
USW!" ~Albert
rumpelstiltskin
2018-05-16 01:32:18 UTC
On Tue, 15 May 2018 12:34:18 -0700 (PDT), b flanier
Post by b flanier
Post by rumpelstiltskin
There's not much point adding names to quotations
when they're all false. Usually it's Einstein, ...
"Nein, nein...I said every single thing that is said I said.
USW!" ~Albert
Is that the Albert that yon lion et?

Three panels below that on the YouTube sidebar
are some dances by Praetorius (1500 -1550).
It's the shit-kickin' music of the 16th century, and
there was a lot of shit lying around to kick in
those days. Even in the 19th century in the USA,
H.L.Mencken mentioned that city boys used to
amuse themselves by picking up "horse apples"
and hurling them at any blind people who were
walking down the street. Fun times!
b flanier
2018-05-16 19:50:55 UTC
Is that the Albert that yon lion et?
Very clever!!

Reminds me that one can not live long enough to hear
and enjoy all the clever, humorous and inventive thought
up stuff that we humans can come up with. (How's that
for ending a sentence a preposition with?
rumpelstiltskin
2018-05-17 00:46:29 UTC
On Wed, 16 May 2018 12:50:55 -0700 (PDT), b flanier
Post by b flanier
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Is that the Albert that yon lion et?
Very clever!!
Reminds me that one can not live long enough to hear
and enjoy all the clever, humorous and inventive thought
up stuff that we humans can come up with. (How's that
for ending a sentence a preposition with?
That was a famous routine when I was a kid,
I heard it several times. The accent and style
are classic Yorkshire, though that's kind of a
parody these days, because due to mass media,
regional accents have gotten smoothed out
toward a general national accent, as has also
happened in the USA.