The Five LIving Presidents Gather ....
2018-12-05 15:49:49 UTC
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>

They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.

There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.

There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
Josh Rosenbluth
When was the last time we had only one living president, the incumbent?
Gary
2018-12-05 18:10:27 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Gary
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>
They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.
There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.
There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
When was the last time we had only one living president, the incumbent?
An interesting thought. I have never thought about it. My first thought was maybe
somebody in the late 1800s. But then it occurred to me. Harry Truman was in office
when other presidents had died. So Truman would be my first choice.

A possibility is --- Nixon.
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-12-05 18:13:20 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Gary
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>
They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.
There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.
There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
When was the last time we had only one living president, the incumbent?
An interesting thought. I have never thought about it. My first thought was maybe
somebody in the late 1800s. But then it occurred to me. Harry Truman was in office
when other presidents had died. So Truman would be my first choice.
A possibility is --- Nixon.
He's the one! LBJ died in 1973 on the same day that Roe v Wade was
handed down.

https://tinyurl.com/ybj73gcn
CLOISTER
2018-12-05 16:24:53 UTC
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>
They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.
There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.
There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
And they all promised that politics would not be discussed at all
to keep the event cordial and pleasant.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-05 16:47:37 UTC
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>
They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.
There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.
There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
I was in America by the time Elizabeth II was crowned, but
I remember as part of the coronation verbiage (perhaps given
by the Archbishop of Canterbury, though I don't remember)
"... and may the queen live forever". I thought that was an
odd thing to say even though I was only 8.

Wikipedia lists Elizabeth II's reign as starting the sixth of
February 1952, but her coronation as taking place the
second of June 1953. It seems odd to me that there was
more than a year between the beginning of her reign and
her coronation, but maybe that's ordinary - I don't know.
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-12-05 17:00:55 UTC
On 12/5/2018 8:47 AM, rumpelstiltskin wrote:

{snip}
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I was in America by the time Elizabeth II was crowned, but
I remember as part of the coronation verbiage (perhaps given
by the Archbishop of Canterbury, though I don't remember)
"... and may the queen live forever". I thought that was an
odd thing to say even though I was only 8.
Wikipedia lists Elizabeth II's reign as starting the sixth of
February 1952, but her coronation as taking place the
second of June 1953. It seems odd to me that there was
more than a year between the beginning of her reign and
her coronation, but maybe that's ordinary - I don't know.
Wikipedia also states, " The coronation was held more than one year
later because of the tradition of allowing an appropriate length of time
to pass after a monarch dies before holding such festivals."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_of_Elizabeth_II

Elizabeth has been on the throne for just short of 67 years. What
monarch who also ruled in both the 20th and 21st centuries had a longer
reign?
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-05 21:36:35 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
{snip}
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
Oh gosh, I don't know. I regard monarchy, and feudalism
in general, as similar to religion: something that makes no
sense in the modern world, but is held onto because of
"tradition" despite the fact that, IMV, if either were ever
beneficial to the human race, neither are beneficial now.
Josh Rosenbluth
Hint: Shall we dance?
Avgo Lemono
2018-12-05 22:33:31 UTC
Hint:  Shall we dance?
Bhumibol Adulayej (ภูมิพลอดุลยเดช), Rama IX (พระรามเก้า), King of Thailand,
1946 - 2016.

---
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-12-06 04:49:53 UTC
Bingo!
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-06 03:04:05 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
{snip}
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
I had to rely on Wikipedia to get "Longest reigning
monarchs", from which I get two European hits that
match your criteria: Johann II of Liechtenstein and
Franz Joseph I of Austria-Hungary.
https://tinyurl.com/prdgw6q

I don't get the "Shall We Dance" hint, though Wikipedia says:
"Shall We Dance, released in 1937, is the seventh of the ten
Astaire-Rogers musical comedy films. The idea for the film
originated in the studio's desire to exploit the successful
formula created by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart with
their 1936 Broadway hit On Your Toes. The musical
featured an American dancer getting involved with a touring
Russian ballet company."

From which I gather the answer is a Russian monarch,
but that's as far as I get, because no recent Russian Czars
lived that long. I like watching non-comedy (NOT including
"Musical Comedy"!) movies about as much as most people
like eating raw liver, so I don't know what any subtleties I
might see if I had any familiarity at all with that film.

Here are Fred and Ginger, as they're nicknamed,
in Prague:
https://tinyurl.com/y83ewfsn
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-12-06 04:49:37 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
{snip}
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
Neither reigned in he 21st century.
Post by rumpelstiltskin
"Shall We Dance, released in 1937, is the seventh of the ten
Astaire-Rogers musical comedy films.
Shall We Dance is one of the signature songs in the Rogers and
Hammerstein musical The King and I. Number 2 on the list in Wikipedia
is the correct answer (Rama IX, Thailand).
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-06 18:31:50 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
{snip}
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
I was looking for monarchs who reigned from
the 1900's into the 2000's. I hope I'm not the only
person in the world who still can't reliably
remember that all the years in the "20th century"
start with "19", except for the year 2000 itself.
It seems so perverse to me to have named the
centuries that way.

I also have never gotten over the fact that
there is no year "zero". It's so un-mathematical.
Maybe people were still using Roman Numerals
when the numbering of the centuries was set,
and there is no "zero" in Roman numerals. I've
been told there wasn't even a concept of "zero".
"Zero" is another thing we got from the Arabs.
I suppose we got the odd-men-out such as
"2000" in the years within a century because,
since there was no zero, the ancients had to
start with "1", screwing up the first century
and then every other century after it.

Oscar Wilde died in 1900, and shortly before
his death (which he knew was coming), he
said that he supposed the new century (the
20th) could not begin until he was dead.
Gary
2018-12-05 18:18:12 UTC
[...]
Believe it or not -- Queen Elizabeth's coronation was the first big even I ever noticed as
a child. We were in England when her father King George died. And she became Queen.
I was much impressed with the grandeur of the event. Later that year we returned to
America. We finally got our first TV about summer --- just in time to see her
coronation. It sure did impress this (then) 10 year old boy. I've loved and admired
her ever since.
CLOISTER
2018-12-05 18:40:40 UTC
[...]
Her coronation was the first 'under the sea' cable transmission for TV
I was able to watch it because my uncle was taking a VA course on TV repair and he owned a TV....black and white and snowy at times
Gary
2018-12-05 20:20:36 UTC
Post by CLOISTER
[...]
Yeah, I remember those days. I bet that coronation would really have been beautiful
in color. But I liked it in black and white. Best I can recall -- I was grown
before I ever saw a color TV program.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-05 21:36:35 UTC
[...]
I do love the coronation carriage, though it's only used
a couple of days per century.
https://tinyurl.com/yaocejtf

As Royalty goes, Liz is better than most, I'd say.

I like some advice a worldly-wise man gave to Mozart,
that everyone likes to be flattered and when it comes
to royalty, you have to lay it on with a trowel.

I may have posted this here before, and recently,
but an interesting trivia question is "Who was the
first man to ask Marie Antoinette to marry her?"
It was Mozart, when he was 8 and she was 9.
Gary
2018-12-05 22:28:27 UTC
[...]
They sure are beautiful. I would love to ride in one.
Post by rumpelstiltskin
As Royalty goes, Liz is better than most, I'd say.
She is a good one. I can't think of anybody who could have presented a more acceptable
face to her office than she has. She was born to it !!
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I like some advice a worldly-wise man gave to Mozart,
that everyone likes to be flattered and when it comes
to royalty, you have to lay it on with a trowel.
It is required. After all -- the concept of royalty being "divine " is very old.

"....The divine right of kings, divine right, or God's mandate is a political and
religious doctrine of royal and political legitimacy. It asserts that a monarch is subject
to no earthly authority, deriving the right to rule directly from the will of God...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings
I wonder if little Mozie got him any, er, ah... whatever.
m***@my-deja.com
2018-12-06 00:44:13 UTC
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>
They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.
There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.
There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
That was quite a site seeing them all on the front row.
I could not help but laugh seeing them all in each others company.
But seeing Jimmy Carter as the only adult in the room brought me
back to earth and sobered me up.
Gary
2018-12-06 12:53:06 UTC
Post by m***@my-deja.com
Post by Gary
.... for the funeral of former President George H.W. Bush. <on TV now>
They are Carter age 94, Clinton age 72, Obama age 57, Trump age 72, and of course
George H.W. Bush's son -- George W. Bush age 72.
There was quite a gathering Monday and will probably be a bigger one today.
There is one thing we all have in common -- whether we are rich, poor, famous, royal or
peasants --- our loved ones do pass away. No amount of wealth, power, or fame can
prevent if.
That was quite a site seeing them all on the front row.
I could not help but laugh seeing them all in each others company.
But seeing Jimmy Carter as the only adult in the room brought me
back to earth and sobered me up.
I never voted for Carter when he was seeking office. But looking back -- I suppose he
was better than some of his opponents. To bad I (and millions of others) didn't notice
it back then. (Those movie stars were not all that great)