Ben's considering new 'visual identity' for products amid Aunt Jemima rebranding
2020-06-19 16:17:53 UTC
{snip}
And Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's. Is there something wrong with good
food being represented by a black man and woman?
Are people really this ignorant that they don't realize the Aunt and
Uncle are gross caricatures of negative stereotypes?
I don't think those pictures were ever intended as -- or thought of as
"negative". That picture of Jemima was taken about 1890. Back then
most black people were placed into one of two social groups. "Field N
words" and "House Ns".

That picture of her means she was a great and loving "House". To be
loved and respected by the white family members. Sure, things did
not improve for "Field" blacks for another 70 years. But the House
folks did pretty well.
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-06-19 16:38:35 UTC
{snip}
And Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's. Is there something wrong with good
food being represented by a black man and woman?
Are people really this ignorant that they don't realize the Aunt and
Uncle are gross caricatures of negative stereotypes?
I don't think those pictures were ever intended as -- or thought of as
"negative". That picture of Jemima was taken about 1890. Back then
most black people were placed into one of two social groups. "Field N
words" and "House Ns".
That picture of her means she was a great and loving "House". To be
loved and respected by the white family members. Sure, things did
not improve for "Field" blacks for another 70 years. But the House
folks did pretty well.
Beloved house workers contrasted with hated field workers is a negative
stereotype.
Gary
2020-06-19 19:02:53 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:38:35 -0700, Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Gary
{snip}
And Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's. Is there something wrong with good
food being represented by a black man and woman?
Are people really this ignorant that they don't realize the Aunt and
Uncle are gross caricatures of negative stereotypes?
I don't think those pictures were ever intended as -- or thought of as
"negative". That picture of Jemima was taken about 1890. Back then
most black people were placed into one of two social groups. "Field N
words" and "House Ns".
That picture of her means she was a great and loving "House". To be
loved and respected by the white family members. Sure, things did
not improve for "Field" blacks for another 70 years. But the House
folks did pretty well.
Beloved house workers contrasted with hated field workers is a negative
stereotype.
I was describing my childhood memories of what I had observed when
visiting relatives in Alabama circa early 1950s. For instance my aunt
had a house maid who lived with her for many years. Us children
thought of Pearl as another relative. We loved her!
me
2020-06-19 20:19:01 UTC
Here is the real lesson: the packaging may change - the content is the same. That’s magic! It’s also politics.