Newsweek does damage control for AOC's constitutional ignorance
Add Reply
Commie Daily
2020-07-24 07:42:41 UTC
It must be nice, having national newsrooms to run full-time
damage control pro bono.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., said a stupid thing
recently during a one-on-one interview with MSNBC’s Chris Hayes.
That she said something ignorant is not news at all. What is
newsworthy is that Newsweek felt the need to protect her where
she is clearly in the wrong.

The congresswoman was asked last Friday what lessons she learned
from studying former President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal,
for which her preposterous "Green New Deal" is named.

“I think there’s a couple of lessons. One is that when we look
into our history, when our party was boldest, time of the New
Deal, the Great Society, the Civil Rights Act, and so on. We had
and carried supermajorities in the House, in the Senate. We
carried the presidency,” Ocasio-Cortez said, adding her
colleagues today need to overcome “fear within our own party”
about being “too bold.”

This is where her response goes awry: “They had to amend the
Constitution of the United States to make sure Roosevelt did not
get reelected."

Close, but no cigar.

The 22nd Amendment was passed in 1947. FDR died in 1945. Though
there was indeed talk of such an amendment during FDR’s
lifetime, the rule wasn’t introduced and passed until after the
GOP took both chambers in the 1946 elections, one year after he
died. And even then, it was worded so as not to apply to the
sitting president.

This was a simple error on the congresswoman’s part. But
Newsweek apparently thought her a damsel in need of rescuing.

“Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez attacked on Twitter for constitutional
mistake – but was she actually right?” read the original
headline to the magazine's defense of the New York lawmaker.

The story adds, “The dates appeared to leave the argument cut-
and-dried … [but] some eagle-eyed social media commenters
pointed out that the original architects of the 22nd Amendment
were inspired by Roosevelt’s monopoly on the White House and
began campaigning long before his death.”

It's a huge stretch, but let's just say this is what Ocasio-
Cortez meant when she said the GOP “had to amend the
Constitution of the United States to make sure Roosevelt did not
get reelected.” Let’s pretend for a moment the congresswoman was
really referring to early efforts to limit presidential terms
via a constitutional amendment and see where the Newsweek
article goes:

FDR did die in office in ‘45 and the 22nd amendment did come in
‘47 but Congress did start the legislative process in 1944 prior
to his death so that he would not be reelected,” another Twitter
user wrote in Ocasio-Cortez’s defense. “It was not ratified soon
enough and he won in ‘44. AOC did not misspeak, friends.”

The National Constitution Center also had Ocasio-Cortez’s back.
On its website, the nonpartisan organization explained: “Talk
about a presidential term-limits amendment started in 1944, when
Republican candidate Thomas Dewey said a potential 16-year term
for Roosevelt was a threat to democracy. “In March 1947, a
Republican-controlled Congress approved a 22nd Amendment, with
an exception that would exclude a president in office from term
limits during the ratification process.”
Oh, come off it, Newsweek. You're embarrassing yourself.

The 22nd Amendment, which wasn’t even finalized until 1951,
specifically exempted presidents who were in office during the
ratification process, meaning it wouldn’t have applied to FDR
even if it had passed years earlier. Yet, this is the “well,
actually” defense Newsweek went with on behalf of Ocasio-Cortez,
who favorably cited the article this week as she was justifiably
mocked on social media for being both ignorant and arrogant
enough to make claims about which she was ignorant.

Perhaps realizing its cleanup attempt was as obvious as it was
ridiculous, Newsweek has amended the story headline to something
a bit more subtle: “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez attacked on Twitter
for constitutional mistake – but here’s the full story.”

"The full story." Sure.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/newsweek-does-damage-
control-for-ocasio-cortezs-constitutional-ignorance

BeamMeUpScotty
2020-07-24 14:56:52 UTC
Post by Commie Daily
[...]
That simple error has a complex string of reality connected to it...

Democrats are ignorant morons.

They don't know history so in their *INFINITE STUPIDITY* they will
repeat their stupid mistakes. And they do it all the time.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is STUPID but that hardly scratches the surface
of her shortfall of intelligence.
--
*That's Karma*

*Democrats aren't the PARTY of diversity they're the party of division*