California ranks last in quality of life
2018-07-09 21:56:11 UTC
"Report: California has the worst 'quality of life' in the US

DANNY MUELLER, FOR THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | February 28, 2018

Forget about the natural beauty, wine, beaches and delicious food.
California has the worst quality of life in the United States and
ranks near the bottom for opportunity, according to a report published
this week.

The U.S. News ranking measures "thousands of data points" for each
category (health care, education, economy, opportunity,
infrastructure, crime and corrections, fiscal stability and quality of
life) to determine a state's scores.

The Golden State was dead last in urban air quality and second-to-last
in voter participation, both components of the "quality of life"
score. California's opportunity score was only a few ticks higher at
No. 46. That's a surprising spot for the world's fifth-largest
economy.

How did California look in the overall ranking? No. 32, just behind
Georgia. Iowa and Minnesota were ranked first and second,
respectively.

U.S. News says its report adds weight to a few areas based on a survey
of "what matters most to people." That seems to mean infrastructure,
education and opportunity.

Whether the list sparks a mass exodus to Des Moines remains unseen. .
."
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8056905-181/report-california-ranks-dead-last
GLOBALIST
2018-07-09 23:20:17 UTC
[...]
This should come to no surprise to anyone.
Their droughts, their fires, their economy going to
hell, people fleeing to other states to get away.
North Dakota is one of the best states going ...
jobs and healthy life styles
rumpelstiltskin
2018-07-09 23:53:05 UTC
[...]
California is an awful place. Nobody should leave
a paradise like Georgia to come here.
islander
:)
Gary
2018-07-10 11:32:13 UTC
[...]
Of course nobody would want to leave a black paradise like
Georgia for a caucasian haven like California. (Georgia 32%
black -- California 6% black)

California must be the happiest state in the country. I
hear it attracts more gay people than any other :-)

gay defined -- "Bright and pleasant; promoting a feeling of
cheer"
El Castor
Some of the best weather and beaches in the world. What's not to like?
mg
2018-07-11 04:06:12 UTC
[...]
Now days the "haves" and the "have nots" are often divided by who has
competition and who doesn't and in the case of Mexicans in California,
I think they're caught in a poverty trap being forced to compete
against each other for low-paying, jobs, with no future, while at the
same time, dealing with a ridiculously high cost of living and
outrageously high college tuition costs. For that reason, I think a
lot of Mexicans are leaving California. My handyman came from
California, for instance.

Some of the places that you wouldn't want to be caught dead in (and
probably me either) are probably the kinds of places that many
Mexicans see as their escape route out of the poverty trap because of
the lower cost of living, and the reduced level of competition from
other Mexicans, and lower cost of education.

According to one website, some of those places that Mexicans have been
going to are places like North Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana,
and Duchesne County, Utah (to be honest I don't know exactly where
Duchesne County is, but I would guess that it's out in the sticks, or
out in the desert some place.
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2016/09/08/2-fast-growing-and-slow-growing-hispanic-counties/
rumpelstiltskin
2018-07-11 05:29:12 UTC
[...]
I have rent-control, and my landlady likes me but she's
a couple of years older than me. When she kicks the
bucket (if I don't do so first) the property will go to the
families of her two daughters, whom I don't know at
all, and I don't know what will happen then.

If I have to move, I don't know where I'll go. I have a
non-rational Romantic attraction to Kentucky and West
Virginia, largely because of Mark Twain's Huckleberry
Finn and Tom Sawyer, and William Gedney's photographs
of the Cornett family in Kentucky, I suppose, but that
attraction probably persists only because I've never even
driven through either state. Just about everyplace would
be boring after San Francisco, and I'm so jaded in my
dotage that I'm even bored in San Francisco.