Why Different Pronunciation ?
2020-06-29 11:51:21 UTC
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!

But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".

Pronunciation ?
John Wesley Harding
2020-06-29 11:57:02 UTC
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
Neither state speaks proper English.

‘Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?’

THE SERIOUS ANSWER: Here’s what the majority of anti-Trump voters
honestly feel about Trump supporters en masse:

That when you saw a man who had owned a fraudulent University, intent on
scamming poor people, you thought "Fine."
(https://www.usatoday.com/…/trump-university-sett…/502387002/)
That when you saw a man who had made it his business practice to stiff
his creditors, you said, "Okay."
(https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-hotel-paid-millions-in-…)
That when you heard him proudly brag about his own history of sexual
abuse, you said, "No problem."
(https://abcnews.go.com/…/list-trumps-accusers-allega…/story…)
That when he made up stories about seeing Muslim-Americans in the
thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center, you said,
"Not an issue."
(https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/donald-trumps-outrageous-…/)
That when you saw him brag that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and
you wouldn't care, you exclaimed, "He sure knows me."
(https://www.usatoday.com/…/president-donald-tru…/4073405002/)
That when you heard him relating a story of an elderly guest of his
country club, an 80-year old man, who fell off a stage and hit his head,
to Trump replied: “‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting,’ and I turned away. I
couldn’t—you know, he was right in front of me, and I turned away. I
didn’t want to touch him. He was bleeding all over the place. And I felt
terrible, because it was a beautiful white marble floor, and now it had
changed color. Became very red.” You said, "That's cool!"
(https://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-howard-stern-story)
That when you saw him mock the disabled, you thought it was the funniest
thing you ever saw.
(https://www.nbcnews.com/…/donald-trump-criticized-after-he-…)
That when you heard him brag that he doesn't read books, you said,
"Well, who has time?"
(https://www.theatlantic.com/…/americas-first-post-t…/549794/)
That when the Central Park Five were compensated as innocent men
convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and he angrily said that they
should still be in prison, you said, "That makes sense."
(https://www.usatoday.com/…/what-trump-has-said-…/1501321001/)
That when you heard him tell his supporters to beat up protesters and
that he would hire attorneys, you thought, "Yes!"
(https://www.latimes.com/…/la-na-trump-campaign-protests-201…)
That when you heard him tell one rally to confiscate a man's coat before
throwing him out into the freezing cold, you said, "What a great guy!"
(https://www.independent.co.uk/…/donald-trump-orders-protest…)
That you have watched the parade of neo-Nazis and white supremacists
with whom he curries favor, while refusing to condemn outright Nazis,
and you have said, "Thumbs up!"
(https://www.theatlantic.com/…/why-cant-trump-just-c…/567320/)
That you hear him unable to talk to foreign dignitaries without
insulting their countries and demanding that they praise his electoral
win, you said, "That's the way I want my President to be."
(https://www.huffpost.com/…/trump-insult-foreign-countries-l…)
That you have watched him remove expertise from all layers of government
in favor of people who make money off of eliminating protections in the
industries they're supposed to be regulating and you have said, "What a
genius!" (https://www.politico.com/…/138-trump-policy-changes-2017-00…)
That you have heard him continue to profit from his businesses, in part
by leveraging his position as President, to the point of overcharging
the Secret Service for space in the properties he owns, and you have
said, "That's smart!"
(https://www.usnews.com/…/how-is-donald-trump-profiting-from…)
That you have heard him say that it was difficult to help Puerto Rico
because it was in the middle of water and you have said, "That makes
sense." (https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/the-very-big-ocean-betwee…/)
That you have seen him start fights with every country from Canada to
New Zealand while praising Russia and quote, "falling in love" with the
dictator of North Korea, and you have said, "That's statesmanship!"
(https://www.cnn.com/…/donald-trump-dictators-kim…/index.html)
That Trump separated children from their families and put them in cages,
managed to lose track of 1500 kids, has opened a tent city incarceration
camp in the desert in Texas - he explains that they’re just “animals” -
and you say, “Well, OK then.”
(https://www.nbcnews.com/…/more-5-400-children-split-border-…)
That you have witnessed all the thousand and one other manifestations of
corruption and low moral character and outright animalistic rudeness and
contempt for you, the working American voter, and you still show up
grinning and wearing your MAGA hats and threatening to beat up anybody
who says otherwise.
(https://www.americanprogress.org/…/confronting-cost-trumps…/)

What you don't get, Trump supporters, is that our succumbing to
frustration and shaking our heads, thinking of you as stupid, may very
well be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.

Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and
most of them are less flattering.
b***@gmail.com
Meanwhile, in other parts of the country: Trump's pronunciation of 'China' is to convey life long RACIST feelings of hate taught to him by those around him.
b***@gmail.com
Austin means Houston too, I've heard.
El Castor
2020-06-29 19:05:36 UTC
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
Looked it up. Houston is a Scottish name derived from "Hugh's Town".
The Texas pronunciation is the way Sam Houston pronounced it, and the
way Texans pronounce it. Any other pronunciation is, well, wrong. BTW
I'm just now reading "Sam Houston And The Alamo Avengers" by Brian
Kilmeade. Good book. Sam Houston was one Hell of a colorful guy. As a
little kid, born in Virginia, he ran away from home and went to live
with the Cherokees. Laer he served under Andrew Jackson in the war of
1812, was elected governor of Tennessee, got into a big hassle with
his wife and had to resign the governorship, went back to the
Cherokees, married a Cherokee woman, and set up a trading post. He and
Stephen Austin are the reason Texas is a state and not a province of
Mexico. Read the book. (-8
Gary
2020-06-29 19:46:48 UTC
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:05:36 -0700, El Castor
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
Looked it up. Houston is a Scottish name derived from "Hugh's Town".
The Texas pronunciation is the way Sam Houston pronounced it, and the
way Texans pronounce it. Any other pronunciation is, well, wrong.
Thanks. That is interesting.
Post by El Castor
BTW
I'm just now reading "Sam Houston And The Alamo Avengers" by Brian
Kilmeade. Good book. Sam Houston was one Hell of a colorful guy. As a
little kid, born in Virginia, he ran away from home and went to live
with the Cherokees. Laer he served under Andrew Jackson in the war of
1812, was elected governor of Tennessee, got into a big hassle with
his wife and had to resign the governorship, went back to the
Cherokees, married a Cherokee woman, and set up a trading post. He and
Stephen Austin are the reason Texas is a state and not a province of
Mexico. Read the book. (-8
I've not thought much about the Alamo in 40 or 50 years. But back
when I was young -- I thought the men there during the battle -- had
to be one of the most courageous and interesting groups of men. I
can't remember the names of many, but I still have a good feeeling
about them.

BTW, I still don't care for the pronounciation of the Georgia county
-- HOUSE -- ton :-)
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-06-29 19:49:42 UTC
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
My grandmother insisted the city was pronounced YEW-stun, and was quite
upset when I told her she was missing the H sound.
El Castor
2020-06-29 20:03:42 UTC
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:49:42 -0700, Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Gary
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
My grandmother insisted the city was pronounced YEW-stun, and was quite
upset when I told her she was missing the H sound.
I used to fly out to Houston now and then on business. Nice town, and
the cost of housing compared to coastal California -- Wow! Anyhow, I
can understand your grandmother's point. H or Y, in this case the
sound is so similar, not really much difference, if any. Houseton, on
the other hand. (-8
Gary
2020-06-29 22:05:23 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Gary
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
My grandmother insisted the city was pronounced YEW-stun, and was quite
upset when I told her she was missing the H sound.
That reminds me that I once heard there are some cultures in this
country who prefer to drop the "H". I can't recall where they are
located, but it might be true. I do recall as a grade school kid I
use to be reminded to "drop the 'H'!" Spell it but don't pronounce
it. (as in 'light') There may actually be something to this.
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-06-29 22:21:49 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Gary
Georgia and Texas both have Houstons. They are both spelled the
same. Houston !!
But they are pronounced different. In Texas they have a town called
"HEW -- stun". In Georgia we have a county called "HOUSE -- ton".
Pronunciation ?
My grandmother insisted the city was pronounced YEW-stun, and was quite
upset when I told her she was missing the H sound.
That reminds me that I once heard there are some cultures in this
country who prefer to drop the "H". I can't recall where they are
located, but it might be true. I do recall as a grade school kid I
use to be reminded to "drop the 'H'!" Spell it but don't pronounce
it. (as in 'light') There may actually be something to this.
In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.