California judge rules that coffee requires cancer warning
2018-04-06 13:05:56 UTC
"California judge rules that coffee requires cancer warning

AP, 7:21 AM ET Fri, 30 Mar 2018 Updated 7:30 AM ET Fri, 30 Mar 2018

Scientists haven't rendered a verdict on whether coffee is good or bad
for you but a California judge has. He says coffee sellers in the
state should have to post cancer warnings.

The culprit is a chemical produced in the bean roasting process that
is a known carcinogen and has been at the heart of an eight-year legal
struggle between a tiny nonprofit group and Big Coffee.

The Council for Education and Research on Toxics wanted the coffee
industry to remove acrylamide from its processing — like potato chip
makers did when it sued them years ago — or disclose the danger in
ominous warning signs or labels. The industry, led by Starbucks Corp.,
said the level of the chemical in coffee isn't harmful and any risks
are outweighed by benefits. . . ."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/30/california-judge-rules-that-coffee-requires-cancer-warning.html

-------------------------------
Q. What is endless love?

A. Helen Keller and Ray Charles
playing tennis.
GLOBALIST
2018-04-06 14:36:09 UTC
[...]
How many times in our lifetime have we head this?
At least a dozen times.
mg
2018-04-07 00:08:56 UTC
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:36:09 -0700 (PDT), GLOBALIST
[...]
I don't think I've ever heard about coffee causing cancer before. I
have heard about bacon, for instance, causing cancer.
d***@gmail.com
2018-04-07 00:19:25 UTC
mg wrote:

<< I don't think I've ever heard about coffee causing cancer before. I
have heard about bacon, for instance, causing cancer. >>

I heard about it from my wife concerning Starbuck's dark roast. It's roasted at such a high temperature in order to make it strong, that it is burned food and thus carcinogenic.

Eugene FitzAubrey
rumpelstiltskin
2018-04-07 04:35:29 UTC
[...]
This is an example of why the rest of the country thinks
that California is a nut case. I don't mind that, and I agree
with it in a good-natured way, but although there are
49 other states, I'm not even 1/49 as tempted to live in any
of them than I am to live in California. Except maybe
Hawaii, but I agree (probably) with Donald Trump that
Hawaii isn't really a state.
-------------------------------
playing tennis.
mg
2018-04-09 02:19:54 UTC
[...]
I remember years ago when they announced that saccharin caused cancer.
It was sort of funny in a way when you consider all the trouble that
people were going to in an attempt to be healthy and how nasty
saccharin tasted, or at least I thought it did.

But it really wasn't funny, at all, I guess. I guess it's just one
more illustration of the tragedy of the human situation.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-04-09 05:26:20 UTC
[...]
I use "Splenda" for almost everything. I do buy sugar
occasionally, but it lasts me months, maybe more than
a year. Of course, there are people who claim that
Splenda kills you too. You can't win.

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

-- Dorothy Parker
mg
2018-04-09 11:35:35 UTC
[...]
Death is one of those realities of life that I never become
comfortable with no matter how long, or how much, I think about it and
I find myself thinking about it a lot more since I had open heart
surgery. I'm now back to feeling good again, though, for the first
time since last September. That's approximately 6 months of feeling
like crap, but that's a lot better than the alternative, obviously.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-04-09 16:31:18 UTC
[...]
The instinct to live is strong, which was an evolutionary
necessity, but quite a lot of people nonetheless do
commit suicide, some of them perfectly healthy.

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

-- Edwin Arlington Robinson
https://tinyurl.com/yb7phvx8

Stopping by woods on a snowy evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-- Robert Frost
https://tinyurl.com/yamxrgv5
(Born in San Francisco, somewhat surprisingly,
since he's famous as a New England poet)