"Bruited"
b flanier
2018-08-10 05:45:26 UTC
In the recent posts here, Rumpel and Bilbo have engaged in noodle
talk, restaurants, and other areas which you can avail yourself
in interesting conversation.

What caught my eye was Rumpel's use of the word "bruited" and his
high opinion of it. So OK.

Jumping from those posts to an article on the restrictions
that are to be imposed by the U.S. on Russia due to possible
violations by Russia of the CBW Act (Chemical and Biological
Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act of 1991), I found a
word that I had never seen before in an article about the effects
sanctions were having and might have on the Russian economy.

"Reuters reports the new sanctions come in two <tranches>*."

Now Bilbo would likely go nuts investigating that word "tranches"*.
But as Rumpel would agree it is a very useful word expressing what
otherwise would take a long sentence to explain. Unfortunately, its
meaning is quite simple and more accessible to the 900 word vocabulary
folk. Like "bruited" it is pretentious.

As we were taught in 4th grade English class, "In your ideated
perambulations or artificial articulations be aware of ponderous
platitudes- in other words -say what you mean and don't use
big words to express it.

*In French, tranche means "slice." Cutting deeper into the word's etymology,
we find the Old French word trancer, meaning "to cut." Tranche emerged
in the English language in the late 19th century to describe financial appropriations.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-08-10 12:16:07 UTC
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 22:45:26 -0700 (PDT), b flanier
Post by b flanier
[...]
I'd never heard of "tranches" before. French people,
I believe though, carry perfumed handkerchiefs around
as an alternative to wiping their butts and bathing, so
that's not really an "English" culture.
b flanier
2018-08-10 16:34:00 UTC
I'd never heard of "tranches" before. French people,
I believe though, carry perfumed handkerchiefs around
as an alternative to wiping their butts and bathing, so
that's not really an "English" culture.
Tut, Tut, Tut, Rumpel!!

The handkerchief thingy is a bit indelicate.
islander
2018-08-10 16:46:33 UTC
Post by b flanier
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I'd never heard of "tranches" before. French people,
I believe though, carry perfumed handkerchiefs around
as an alternative to wiping their butts and bathing, so
that's not really an "English" culture.
Tut, Tut, Tut, Rumpel!!
The handkerchief thingy is a bit indelicate.
I don't think that they carried perfumed handkerchiefs around to wipe
their butts. It was to cover up the smell. Victorian England was not
any better. Of course it was the French who invented the bidet in the
18th century.

If you ever had occasion to work with the poor, personal hygiene is one
the the first things to go. I've been in some homes that would gag you
and a perfumed handkerchief would have been useful.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-08-10 18:52:36 UTC
Post by b flanier
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I'd never heard of "tranches" before. French people,
I believe though, carry perfumed handkerchiefs around
as an alternative to wiping their butts and bathing, so
that's not really an "English" culture.
Tut, Tut, Tut, Rumpel!!
The handkerchief thingy is a bit indelicate.
I don't think that they carried perfumed handkerchiefs around to wipe
their butts. It was to cover up the smell. Victorian England was not
any better. Of course it was the French who invented the bidet in the
18th century.
If you ever had occasion to work with the poor, personal hygiene is one
the the first things to go. I've been in some homes that would gag you
and a perfumed handkerchief would have been useful.
Tobias Smollet in "Humphrey Clinker" complained bitterly
of how his beloved Edinburgh was defiled by the habit of
emptying chamber pots out a back window in the
evenings, after which some people (probably boys) had the
unenviable task of shoveling up the contents and taking
them away to be dumped. Toilets had not been invented
yet, so what could anyone do? Despite the beautiful
paintings of the era, all the cities of Europe in those days
were in the same predicament. Except Venice, I guess,
which just emptied everything into the canals.

That's something to consider if one ever finds oneself
longing for the "good old days" of centuries ago.
Gentlemen such as Thomas Crapper were indeed great
benefactors of mankind, and I'm proud that he was a
Yorkshireman like me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper
b***@gmail.com
I never use toilets to crap in. All I do is piss in it. I just empty my shit bag into a grocery bag and throw the shit in the trash for the land fill. I can get in and out of any public restroom faster than anyone else. They waste so much time wiping their ass.
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-11 00:17:54 UTC
This is more than we want to know!
rumpelstiltskin
Thanks for sharing, although it was more information than I needed.
islander
2018-08-11 04:13:16 UTC
Post by b flanier
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
There is a quaint little town in Maryland that was built in a gorge
through which a stream rushed. Elliott City was in the news last spring
because of the flooding of that stream, worse this year than previous
floods. One thing that was notable about this town was that one house
build an outhouse onto the side of the house, overhanging the stream.
Of course they were not allowed to use it for the intended purpose any
more, but they saved the structure as part of the charm of that little
town.
Gary
2018-08-11 11:50:48 UTC
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 09:46:33 -0700, islander
Post by islander
Post by b flanier
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I'd never heard of "tranches" before. French people,
I believe though, carry perfumed handkerchiefs around
as an alternative to wiping their butts and bathing, so
that's not really an "English" culture.
Tut, Tut, Tut, Rumpel!!
The handkerchief thingy is a bit indelicate.
I don't think that they carried perfumed handkerchiefs around to wipe
their butts. It was to cover up the smell. Victorian England was not
any better. Of course it was the French who invented the bidet in the
18th century.
If you ever had occasion to work with the poor, personal hygiene is one
the the first things to go. I've been in some homes that would gag you
and a perfumed handkerchief would have been useful.
I had never thought of that. Imagine what it would have
been like back in the 1850s -- to walk into a slave shack.
I wonder if "ol' Master" carried a perfumed hanky ?