Welcome back Rumple
2019-10-08 13:28:31 UTC
I hope you and your son had a great trip!
rumpelstiltskin
2019-10-08 16:20:54 UTC
I hope you and your son had a great trip!
Thank you. Rook is still here, praise Jesus, since
right now he's cleaning out my bathtub. I arrived
home to a mini-catastrophe. My cat was yowling
though, as Rook also noticed and commented on.
My cat has only been yowling as he's approaching
my room, as Rook also commented on. The cat
is not in pain, he's just acting out over my being
gone for ten days, though the girls downstairs were
coming up to keep him fed and watered. He
threw up in one place in the hall, and after I
cleaned that up, I also noticed he'd thrown up a
couple of times on the bedroom carpet, so I took
that into the shower and washed it down heavily,
though it still needs more. I closed the door to
Rook's bedroom, but I made so much noise,
showering off that huge carpet, that I was sure
I must have awakened Rook. I intended to let
the carpet drain off a bit so it wouldn't be so
heavy, then ask Rook to help me move it onto
the back porch railing to dry off a bit, but I found
when I got up again that Rook had already done
that by himself, with the same thought as I'd had
about cleaning it off better later, which we'll do.
At the moment though, Rook is cleaning out my
shower tub, as I'd planned on doing. He also
said he's going to replace the shower curtain
that he'd installed years ago to make the my
pre-1906 (as I'd guess) bathtub into a shower
stall. That replacement does need doing though
I wasn't going to ask him, but he'd thought of it
himself and already made plans to do it. (I'd
never have been able to do that myself though)
I sure am lucky to have him around, and so
industrious - far more industrious than myself,
as well as far more competent, to be sure.

He mentioned you, and I told him you weren't
an "Islander" anymore since you and your wife
had completed your move to the mainland and
rewarded yourselves with a little cruise.

My nephew is 23 now, with a girlfriend.
They're probably going to get a flat and
move in together, as my sister and others in
her circle have commented on. When my
nephew and his girlfriend weren't there later,
I mentioned to my sister and her coterie that
they'd been practically having sex right in
front of us. That's an exaggeration of course,
but the sexual attraction between them was
too blatant for anybody to miss it. He is
awfully cute, and his girlfriend is too, though
I'm not as good a judge of female as of male
beauty myself. My nephew confirmed the
moving-in-together conjecture when I
brought it up later, when just he and I were
together, and said he was hoping it would
happen within the next month or two.

My niece was up there visiting, with her
hubby and their baby son: I'm a grand-uncle
now! They live on the Florida panhandle.

Time marches on.

Hope all is well with you, and with all the
other old geezers in soc.retirement, even
El Castor.

---

As I mentioned to my son, I am pretty
tired by now at all the fuss in soc.retirement
about Trump in the White House. Much
like rabies, that isn't going to go away
anytime soon.
islander
2019-10-09 15:45:48 UTC
[...]
Actually, I'm still an Islander. We are living in the house that we
bought here about a year and a half ago. This will tide us over until
we can figure out where to move to on the mainland. I'm not looking
forward to that, but might as well accept the inevitable.

The cruise was pretty much a disappointment and we probably won't do
that again. The part where we went up Endicott Fjord to see the Dawes
glacier was the best part. Quite spectacular! Otherwise the towns that
we visited were overcrowded with tourists (of course we only added to
that problem). Not a good image for Alaska. I imagine Rook would agree.

Now, back to upgrading this house in preparation for selling it (or
turning it into an AirB&B - my wife's idea). Frankly, I am not
interested in being a landlord. Best to cut ties and move on, IMV.

We will probably not buy another house.

There seems to be very little on soc.retirement on the impeachment, but
that may be because of who I have killfiled. Best to finish it quickly
and move on to the 2020 elections IMV.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-10-09 16:21:31 UTC
[...]
Oh sorry, I apparently misunderstood. I thought you already
had bought a mainland house.
Post by islander
The cruise was pretty much a disappointment and we probably won't do
that again. The part where we went up Endicott Fjord to see the Dawes
glacier was the best part. Quite spectacular! Otherwise the towns that
we visited were overcrowded with tourists (of course we only added to
that problem). Not a good image for Alaska. I imagine Rook would agree.
As a kid, I really enjoyed the ocean liner trips to and
from America, and then after we moved to America
to and from England. Those trips, in the days when
crossing the Atlantic by sea was cheaper than by air,
were full of "real" (working-class) people though, not
snooty bourgeois parasites who aren't any fun at all.
I've never been tempted to take a "cruise" and my
instinct is that I wouldn't enjoy it because of the
pretentiousness of many of the people who would be
on it. Just as a meaningless coincidence, my first
"real job" was with IBM in Endicott, New York. My
mom had a metaphorical fecal convulsion when I
quit that job, because it really was a very good job
and I would have been set for life. My instincts,
correctly as always (I always trust my instincts),
told me that there was a better life for me and I
should move to California. My mom to her dying
day felt that was the worst decision I ever made,
but I myself have always been sure it was the best
decision I ever made, even though my first job in
California was a survival job as a typist, at a
fraction of what I had been making at IBM. Money
is important, but it truly is not "everything". I
myself needed a different kind of life than what
I was experiencing or ever could experience in
hidebound upstate New York. I knew that before
I made the move, and knew it even more surely
after I had made it.

My son, as you know, lives in Alaska (Anchorage),
though he's often here in San Francisco with me,
as he is now after our ten-day trip to Massachusetts
to visit my sister and all her family, including her
daughter with husband and baby, visiting from
Florida where they live. On one trip I made to
Alaska, we drove (near high summer) above the
Arctic Circle and camped out there, just to watch
the sun go all the way around the sky without ever
sinking below the horizon.

I talk about myself too much, as my son often
notes. He's good therapy for me, and would be
even better if I were capable of truly appreciating
how much.
islander
2019-10-10 00:31:49 UTC
Post by islander
[...]
You are who you are and you probably will not change. Being friends
(and relatives, even adopted sons) means accepting people for who they
are, warts and all. You are an interesting guy, IMV.

What do you think about Bernie's heart attack? Personally, I think that
it is going to hurt his chances in the Democratic primary. Too bad, but
he is not indestructible. Fortunately Elizabeth Warren is steadily
gaining ground and is likely to pick up Bernie's support. She has a lot
more depth, IMV. Biden is probably toast. The Republican Slime Machine
is just getting started on him. I doubt that Mayor Pete or Kamila
Harris as two of the more moderate candidates can pick up his supporters.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-10-10 01:27:41 UTC
<snip>
I talk about myself too much, as my son often
notes. He's good therapy for me, and would be
even better if I were capable of truly appreciating
how much.
You are who you are and you probably will not change. Being friends
(and relatives, even adopted sons) means accepting people for who they
are, warts and all. You are an interesting guy, IMV.
Thank you!

I don't think that even most of your "enemies" would
deny that you yourself are an interesting guy.
Post by islander
What do you think about Bernie's heart attack? Personally, I think that
it is going to hurt his chances in the Democratic primary. Too bad, but
he is not indestructible. Fortunately Elizabeth Warren is steadily
gaining ground and is likely to pick up Bernie's support. She has a lot
more depth, IMV. Biden is probably toast. The Republican Slime Machine
is just getting started on him. I doubt that Mayor Pete or Kamila
Harris as two of the more moderate candidates can pick up his supporters.
I still have Bernie's picture from the last presidential
election on my front door, but I took his heart attack
easily because I am coming to think that perhaps he's
just too old. I'm rooting for Elizabeth Warren at the
moment.

<snip>
Indoarsman
2019-10-10 01:45:35 UTC
I fear there would be too much planned activity on a cruise ship for me. On the other hand, I hear the food is very good, and in my present emaciated condition I might eat my way back to health and claim 'doctor's orders', which would not at all be true.

I am engaging in an activity called protein sparing, in which I consume extra carbohydrate to prevent muscle from being converted to glucose.

Oh waiter, I'd like some chocolate cake, please. Well no, not a piece, I'd prefer a whole cake.

Eugene FitzAubrey 👾
rumpelstiltskin
2019-10-10 03:31:29 UTC
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 18:45:35 -0700 (PDT), Indoarsman
Post by Indoarsman
I fear there would be too much planned activity on a cruise ship for me.
I'm with you on that. "Planned activity" kills the chance of it
being any fun.
Eugene FitzAubrey ?
rumpelstiltskin
Best of luck to you in your effort to get up to a healthy weight.
b***@gmail.com
I only took one cruise from Hawaii to LA which lasted 4 days. The food was good and there were no prices on the menu. Mostly we spent time playing the wooden horses which moved by a roll of the dice. A year later my Dad and I planned to take a cruise from the east coast to Europe and visit England where he was born. Unfortunately, he passed away 2 days before we were to leave. I think it was the Leanardo Di Vinci or something like that.
m***@my-deja.com
2019-10-10 00:24:30 UTC
[...]
Welcome back Rumper! Not a lot going on here
lately.
I am sure you met some nice young men, but did you
do anything interesting? Did you go to the Cape?
anytime soon.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-10-10 01:27:41 UTC
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 17:24:30 -0700 (PDT), ***@my-deja.com wrote:

<snip>
Post by m***@my-deja.com
Welcome back Rumper! Not a lot going on here
lately.
I am sure you met some nice young men, but did you
do anything interesting? Did you go to the Cape?
I didn't meet any "nice young men" except for
my sister's son, who's 23, but he's about to move
in with his girlfriend so he's off-limits for two
reasons. At 74, I haven't met any "nice young
men" that I think I'd have much chance of bagging
for quite a while now, though I am on friendly
terms with several at the pool bar. There was
one new guy shooting pool there that I was really
hot for just before I left for Massachusetts, but
everybody else was probably hot for him too,
and I heard from one of the young gay guys that
he might be straight. I haven't been back to the
pool bar since I left San Francisco to visit my
sister and family, which has been three or four
weeks now, so I don't know if he's been back.
His T-shirt read "King", which seemed appropriate.

We didn't go to the Cape. It was only ten days
so my son and I stayed with my sister and her
husband and my nephew, plus (for the first couple
of days) with my niece and her husband and their
new (one year old) son who were visiting from
Florida. My sister's best friend was there, whom
my brother-in-law doesn't like, but I like her and
she likes me, despite that she's a Christian (though
not a bigot). She's fascinated that I have no
recollection of ever believing in religion at all,
even when I was five or six and freshly arrived in
the USA. I went to church and Sunday School
until I had my adolescent rebellion at 14 which
took the form of flatly refusing to go to church
or Sunday School anymore. I never had
believed any of that religious crap, but I felt
pressured to go to church before then, even
though my mother rarely went and my foster-
father never did.
m***@my-deja.com
2019-10-10 02:22:42 UTC
<snip>
Post by m***@my-deja.com
[...]
Well I am glad you met someone that you like and
she likes you back, and I am glad you got to spend some
good times with your family.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-10-10 05:27:18 UTC
Post by m***@my-deja.com
Post by rumpelstiltskin
<snip>
Post by m***@my-deja.com
[...]
I see her every time I visit the East Coast, since she
only lives a few houses away from my sister. As I
noted, my brother-in-law doesn't like her. He does
like my son though. Everybody likes my son.