Trump on Iran and North Korea!
w***@gmail.com
2018-06-13 12:19:59 UTC
2018-06-13 14:10:12 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35142702_2479355748742055_7607778079389253632_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=dd7859bddce2449261285f59c17fd9dd&oe=5BA84DE9
Trump believes everything the Korks and Irns tell him.
islander
2018-06-13 15:01:26 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35142702_2479355748742055_7607778079389253632_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=dd7859bddce2449261285f59c17fd9dd&oe=5BA84DE9
The 1994 Agreed Framework had a great deal more than the empty promises
of the agreement that Trump signed with grand fanfare. But while the
Agreed Framework made progress, North Korea was found to be cheating by
increasing their uranium enrichment. At least that is what the GW Bush
administration claimed as justification for canceling the US commitments
that were part of that deal. John Bolton was a persistent critic of the
Agreed Framework and was likely involved in the failure of that program,
stating, “this was the hammer I had been looking for to shatter the
Agreed Framework.”
https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/agreedframework

So, what did Trump get out of this agreement? No one knows what was
discussed in that one-on-one meeting with Kim or what was agreed upon.
Trump promised to cancel "war games" in the region, but no one seems to
know what he actually pledged to cancel.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/trump-pledge-to-halt-us-south-korea-war-games-sows-confusion-on-capitol-hill.html

Kim now claims that the US will cancel sanctions. Trump disagrees.
More confusion!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/donald-trump-north-korea-sanctions-lift-agreement-state-media-korean-korean-central-news-agency-a8396251.html

This is not a game for amateurs. What did Trump get in return? It
appears that this was all about a photo-op intended to improve his
ratings before the mid-terms. One can only hope that there will be some
adults in the room if negotiations continue, but Trump doesn't seem to
want experts. What a mess!
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-06-13 15:22:09 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
I'm happy there was a summit. It's better when we talk. That being
said, there was no "agreement" and Trump's latest tweet ("There is no
longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea") is ridiculous, and so vey
typically Trumpian.
islander
2018-06-14 05:03:07 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Definitely better to talk than not, but I sincerely doubt that anything
of substance was discussed. It was just a photo op. It would be good
if there is follow-thru with capable people. What do you think the
chances of that are?
El Castor
Guaranteed.
Josh Rosenbluth
2018-06-14 15:12:25 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
It looks like Jeff sometimes ghostwrites Trump's twitter account.

I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic. I have been surprisingly
impressed by Pompeo, and presumably we still have professional experts
in nuclear weapons and diplomacy in the payroll. But, it's a tall task.
islander
2018-06-14 16:27:57 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
I'll reserve judgement on Pompeo, but so far so good. Do we still have
experts on the payroll? I honestly don't know. Richard Johnson who was
the go-to expert in State resigned after Trump pulled out of the Iran
agreement. State has been seriously depleted overall and our ability to
negotiate is seriously diminished. Ernest Moniz, who was a strong asset
in the negotiations with Iran, has been a critic of Trump and is
unlikely to be asked for help. Just as State has been decimated, so
also has the Dept of Energy under Perry. The initiative there has been
mostly about upgrading US nuclear weapons and the National Labs tend to
emphasize whatever will assure continued funding. I doubt that there is
any help there.

islander
2018-06-14 15:49:02 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
That sounds like an expression of faith. I hope that you are correct,
but only time will tell.