Incompetent Fascist Trump Is a Broken Man
Add Reply
Arlat
2020-07-27 05:51:30 UTC
In another time, in a different circumstance, there would perhaps be room
to pity such a person.
July 21, 2020
Peter Wehner
Contributing writer at The Atlantic and senior fellow at EPPC
This is your last free article.
Sign in
Subscribe Now
Leon Neal / Getty

The most revealing answer from Donald Trump’s interview with Fox News
Channel’s Chris Wallace came in response not to the toughest question
posed by Wallace, but to the easiest.

At the conclusion of the interview, Wallace asked Trump how he will regard
his years as president.

“I think I was very unfairly treated,” Trump responded. “From before I
even won, I was under investigation by a bunch of thieves, crooks. It was
an illegal investigation.”

Make your inbox more interesting

Each weekday evening, get an overview of the day’s biggest news, along
with fascinating ideas, images, and voices.
Email Address (required)

Thanks for signing up!

Peter Wehner: The president is unraveling

When Wallace interrupted, trying to get Trump to focus on the positive
achievements of his presidency—“What about the good parts, sir?”—Trump
brushed the question aside, responding, “Russia, Russia, Russia.” The
president then complained about the Flynn investigation, the “Russia
hoax,” the “Mueller scam,” and the recusal by his then–attorney general,
Jeff Sessions. (“Now I feel good because he lost overwhelmingly in the
great state of Alabama,” Trump said about the first senator to endorse him
in the 2016 Republican primary.)

Donald Trump is a psychologically broken, embittered, and deeply unhappy
man. He is so gripped by his grievances, such a prisoner of his
resentments, that even the most benevolent question from an
interviewer—what good parts of your presidency would you like to be
remembered for?—triggered a gusher of discontent.
More by this writer

Liberty University students
The Cost of the Evangelical Betrayal
Peter Wehner
Robert F. Kennedy
Listening to Robert F. Kennedy
Peter Wehner
Donald Trump
The Malignant Cruelty of Donald Trump
Peter Wehner

But the president still wasn’t done. “Here’s the bottom line,” he said.
“I’ve been very unfairly treated, and I don’t say that as paranoid. I’ve
been very—everybody says it. It’s going to be interesting to see what
happens. But there was tremendous evidence right now as to how unfairly
treated I was. President Obama and Biden spied on my campaign. It’s never
happened in history. If it were the other way around, the people would be
in jail for 50 years right now.”

David Frum: This is Trump’s plague now

Just in case his bitterness wasn’t coming through clearly enough, the
president added this: “That would be Comey, that would be Brennan, that
would be all of this—the two lovers, Strzok and Page, they would be in
jail now for many, many years. They would be in jail; it would’ve started
two years ago, and they’d be there for 50 years. The fact is, they
illegally spied on my campaign. Let’s see what happens. Despite that, I
did more than any president in history in the first three and a half
years.”

With that, the interview ended.

Such a disposition in almost anyone else—a teacher, a tax accountant, a
CEO, a cab driver, a reality-television star—would be unfortunate enough.
After all, people who obsess about being wronged are just plain unpleasant
to be around: perpetually ungrateful, short-tempered, self-absorbed, never
at peace, never at rest.

But Donald Trump isn’t a teacher, a tax accountant, or (any longer) a
reality-television star; he is, by virtue of the office he holds, in
possession of unmatched power. The fact that he is devoid of any moral
sensibilities or admirable human qualities—self-discipline, compassion,
empathy, responsibility, courage, honesty, loyalty, prudence, temperance,
a desire for justice—means he has no internal moral check; the question Is
this the right thing to do? never enters his mind. As a result, he not
only nurses his grievances; he acts on them. He lives to exact revenge, to
watch his opponents suffer, to inflict pain on those who don’t bend before
him. Even former war heroes who have died can’t escape his wrath.

Read: Trump’s America is slipping away

So Donald Trump is a vindictive man who also happens to be commander in
chief and head of the executive branch, which includes the Justice
Department, and there is no one around the president who will stand up to
him. He has surrounded himself with lapdogs.

But the problem doesn’t end there. In a single term, Trump has reshaped
the Republican Party through and through, and his dispositional imprint on
the GOP is as great as any in modern history, including Ronald Reagan’s.

I say that as a person who was deeply shaped by Reagan and his presidency.
My first job in government was working for the Reagan administration, when
I was in my 20s. The conservative movement in the 1980s, although hardly
flawless, was intellectually serious and politically optimistic. And
Reagan himself was a man of personal decency, grace, and class. While
often the target of nasty attacks, he maintained a remarkably charitable
view of his political adversaries. “Remember, we have no enemies, only
opponents,” the former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels, who worked for
Reagan, quotes him as admonishing his staff.

Read: Donald Trump is Reagan’s heir

In his farewell address to the nation, Reagan offered an evocative
description of America. “I’ve spoken of the shining city all my political
life, but I don’t know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said
it,” he said. “But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks
stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of
all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed
with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls
had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to
get here. That’s how I saw it, and see it still.”

A city tall and proud, its people living in harmony and peace, surrounded
by walls with open doors; that was Ronald Reagan’s image of America, and
Ronald Reagan’s Republican Party.

When Reagan died in 2004, the conservative columnist George Will wrote a
moving tribute to his friend, saying of America’s 40th president, “He
traveled far, had a grand time all the way, and his cheerfulness was
contagious.” Reagan had a “talent for happiness,” according to Will. And
he added this: “Reagan in his presidential role made vivid the values,
particularly hopefulness and friendliness, that give cohesion and dynamism
to this continental nation.”

There were certainly ugly elements on the American right during the Reagan
presidency, and Reagan himself was not without flaws. But as president, he
set the tone, and the tone was optimism, courtliness and elegance, joie de
vivre.

He has since been replaced by the crudest and cruelest man ever to be
president. But not just that. One senses in Donald Trump no joy, no
delight, no laughter. All the emotions that drive him are negative. There
is something repugnant about Trump, yes, but there is also something quite
sad about the man. He is a damaged soul.

Adam Serwer: The cruelty is the point

In another time, in a different circumstance, there would perhaps be room
to pity such a person. But for now, it is best for the pity to wait. There
are other things to which to attend. The American public faces one great
and morally urgent task above all others between now and November: to do
everything in its power to remove from the presidency a self-pitying man
who is shattering the nation and doesn’t even care.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/trump-wallowing-self-
pity/614434/
super70s
2020-07-27 11:09:48 UTC
But the president still wasn't done. "Here's the bottom line," he said.
"I've been very unfairly treated, and I don't say that as paranoid."
You're way past simple paranoia, you say it as a full blown
schizophrenic with narcissistic tendencies and delusions of grandeur.
" I've been very -- everybody says it --"
There's that Trump poker tell again, a warning that everthing that
follows is BS because "everybody says it."
" -- the two lovers, Strzok and Page --"
These two should figure out some kind of Valentine's Day product
endorsement, become rich courtesy of the lizard brain of Donald Trump.
"they would be in jail now for many, many years. They would be in jail; it
would've started two years ago, and they'd be there for 50 years."
More mindless jabbering, the kind you would expect to hear in a psycho
ward instead of someone who has access to the nuclear codes (well if the
Joint Chiefs agree to let this 74-year-old manchild have them which they
would never do).
but there is also something quite sad about the man. He is a damaged
soul.
The same theme explored in the Clint Eastwood Western "Unforgiven," but
Eastwood played an ex-gunfighter who killed a lot of men, often without
merit.

Trump didn't shoot 140,000+ Americans on Fifth Avenue, he just ineptly
mismanaged them to untimely deaths.
me
2020-07-27 13:54:26 UTC
The US is a breaking nation.
http://www.endit.info/Cracks.shtml
Democrat voting cities are already brocken.