The COVID-19 Panic Shows Us Why Science Needs Skeptics
Add Reply
(David P.)
2020-07-29 07:59:30 UTC
The COVID-19 Panic Shows Us Why Science Needs Skeptics
by Peter St. Onge, 7/15/20, mises dot org

The dumpster fire of COVID predictions has shown exactly why it’s important to

sustain & nurture skeptics, lest we blunder into scientific monoculture &

groupthink. And yet the explosion of “cancel culture” intolerance of any

opinion that doesn’t fit a shrinking “3 x 5 card” of right-think risks

destroying the very tolerance & science that sustains our civilization.

Since WWII, America has suffered two respiratory pandemics comparable to

COVID-19: the 1958 “Asian flu,” then the 1969 “Hong Kong flu.” In neither case

did we shut down the economy—people were simply more careful. Not all that

careful, of course—Jimi Hendrix was playing at Woodstock in the middle of the

1969 pandemic, & social distancing wasn’t really a thing in the “Summer of

Love.”

And yet COVID-19 was very different thanks to a single “buggy mess” of a

computer prediction from one Neil Ferguson, a British epidemiologist given to

hysterical overestimates of deaths, from mad cow to bird flu to H1N1.

For COVID-19, Ferguson predicted 3 million deaths in America unless we

basically shut down the economy. Panicked policymakers took his prediction as

gospel, dressed as it was in the cloak of science.

Now, long after govts plunged half the world into a Great Depression, those

panicked revisions are being quietly revised down by an order of magnitude,

now suggesting a final tally comparable to 1958 & 1969.

COVID-19 would have been a deadly pandemic with or without Ferguson’s

fantasies, but had we known the true scale & parameters of the threat we might

have chosen better tailored means to both safeguard the elderly & at-risk,

while sustaining the wider economy. After all, economists have long known that

mass unemployment & widespread bankruptcies carry enormous health consequences

that are very real to the victims suffering drained life savings, ruined

businesses, broken families, widespread mental & physical health

deterioration, even suicide. Decisions involve tradeoffs.

COVID-19 has illustrated the importance of free & robust inquiry. After all,

panicked pols facing media accusations of “killing grandma” aren’t in a very

good position to evaluate these tradeoffs, & they need intellectual ammo. Not

only to show them which path is best, but to bolster them when a left-wing

media establishment attacks.

Moreover, voters need this ammo so they can actually tell the pols what to do.

This means two things: debate that is transparent, & debate that is tolerant

of skeptics.

Transparency means data & computer code open to public scrutiny as the minimum

requirement for any study that is used to justify policy, from lockdowns to

carbon taxes to whatever comes next. These studies must be based on verifiable

facts, code that does what it says it does, & the ensuing decision-making

process must be transparent & open to the public.

One former Indian bureaucrat put it well: “Emergency situations like this

pandemic should require a far higher—and not lower—level of scrutiny,” since

policy choices have such tremendous impact. “This suggests a need for

democracies to strengthen their critical thinking capacity by creating an

independent ‘Black Hat’ institution whose purpose would be to question any

technical foundations of govt decisions.”

Even more important than transparency, debate must be tolerant of alternative

opinions. This means ideas that are wrong, offensive, even dangerous, have to

be tolerated, even celebrated. By all means, refute them—most alternative

hypotheses are completely wrong, so it shouldn’t be hard to simply refute them

without censorship. This, after all, is the essence of science—to generate

hypotheses testable by anybody, not just licensed “experts.”

Whether we are faced with a new crisis, a new policy innovation, or simply

designing a better mousetrap, groupthink & censorship are recipes for disaster

& stagnation, while transparency & tolerance of new ideas are the very essence

of progress. Indeed, it is largely this scientific tolerance that allowed us

to rise up from the long, brutal darkness of poverty.

As Francis Bacon observed 300 years ago, innovation & new knowledge do not

come from prestigious “learned” insiders, rather progress comes from the

questioner, the tinkerer, the skeptic.

"The industry of artificers maketh some small improvement of things invented;

and chance sometimes in experimenting maketh us to stumble upon somewhat which

is new; but all the disputation of the learned never brought to light one

effect of nature before unknown." (In Praise of Knowledge, vol. 1, [1740]

1850)

Indeed, every major scientific advance challenged the “settled science” of its

day, and was often denounced as pernicious & false, even dangerous. The modern

blood transfusion, for example, was developed in the late 1600s, then banned

for nearly a century by a hostile medical establishment, “canceling” tens of

millions of lives at the altar of groupthink & hostility to skeptics.

It’s comforting to know that our problems are old ones, and also encouraging

that our solution is both time-tested and simple: transparency and tolerance.

After all, the very reason our culture elevates science is because it is built

on a millennia-long evolutionary “battle of ideas” in which theories are

constantly tested and retested in a delightfully endless search for ever

better understanding.

This implies there is no such thing as “settled science”—the phrase itself is

contrary to the scientific method. In reality, science is not some billion-

dollar gleaming palace in Bethesda, rather it’s a gnarled mutant sewer rat

that takes all comers because it’s been burned, cut, run over, crushed, run

through the wood chipper, and survived. That ugly beast is our salvation, not

the gleaming palace where we bow down to whichever random guy has the biggest

degree in the room.

Only with free inquiry for the most unpopular, offensive, dangerous, and, yes,

wrong ideas imaginable does that power sustain. And if we break that, we can

expect a series of rapid catastrophes that, like failed golden ages of the

past, return us to the nasty, brutish, and very short lives that have been

humanity’s norm.

Whether pandemic, climate change, “institutional racism,” or whatever new

crisis they conjure next, we have a fundamental right to tenaciously defend

the transparency and tolerance that constitutes science itself so that it

remains among humanity’s crowning achievements, and so that we preserve this

golden age that would astound our ancestors.

https://mises.org/wire/covid-19-panic-shows-us-why-science-needs-skeptics
wolfbat359a@mindspring.com
2020-07-29 14:38:44 UTC
Post by (David P.)
[...]
Yea I guess Trump's new fav doctor is questioning present day science where Only with free inquiry for the most unpopular, offensive, dangerous, and, yes wrong ideas imaginable does that power sustain:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/509421-doctor-retweeted-by-trump-has-warned-of-alien-dna-sex-with

This video cannot be played because of a technical error.(Error Code: 100000)

A Houston doctor who made false statements about the coronavirus in a video that was removed from Facebook, Twitter and YouTube this week has previously made other unfounded claims about medical conditions, sexual contact with spirits, the U.S. government, children's television shows and more.

Stella Immanuel appeared in a video this week published by the right-wing outlet Breitbart News.

The video shows people in white lab coats holding a press conference in front of the Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The group calls itself “America’s Frontline Doctors,” and in the video, Immanuel argues that “you don’t need masks” to prevent the spread of COVID-19. She also claims that studies showing that hydroxychloroquine is not effective for treating the disease are “fake science” and sponsored by “fake pharma companies."

President Trump posted versions of the video on Twitter on Monday; they were later removed by the social media site. The president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., also tweeted the video, and Twitter announced that it has limited his account for 12 hours.

But Immanuel, who is a licensed physician in Texas, according to the Texas Medical Board, has previously claimed on YouTube and in articles on her website that gynecological problems, such as endometriosis, cysts and infertility, are caused by individuals having sex with demons and witches in their dreams.

Immanuel's claims were first reported by The Daily Beast.

Immanuel has said in sermons on YouTube that widespread gynecological issues are caused by sexual contact with “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives.”

Immanuel said in a 2015 sermon that alien DNA is used in medical treatments. In another 2015 sermon, she claimed that researchers are currently working on a vaccine to prevent individuals from being religious ... (cont0