Trump Twitter ban will be ‘exploited’ by ‘enemies' of free speech 'around the world
2021-01-10 14:16:31 UTC
By Morgan Phillips
Published 13 hours ago

Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny called Twitter’s ban of
President Trump an "unacceptable act of censorship" that could be
exploited by oppressive governments around the world.

Trump’s account @realdonaldtrump was banned by the social media giant
Friday following the president’s response to the Capitol riots this
week.

"In my opinion, the decision to ban Trump was based on emotions and
personal political preferences," Navalny wrote on Twitter.

He noted that the president had been writing "very irresponsible
things" on the platform, but paid for it by losing reelection.

"Don't tell me he was banned for violating Twitter rules. I get death
threats here every day for many years, and Twitter doesn't ban anyone
(not that I ask for it)," Navalny continued. He noted that
"cold-blooded murderers" like Russian President Vladimir Putin and
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro are allowed on the platform.

Navalny, the most visible opponent of Putin, was flown to Germany two
days after falling ill Aug. 20 on a domestic flight in Russia. Labs
determined that he was exposed to a Soviet-era Novichok nerve agent,
and Navalny has since maintained that agents of Putin tried to poison
him.

Navalny said there were plenty of examples of private companies such as
Twitter becoming Russia and China's "best friends" and honoring
censorship requests.

"This precedent will be exploited by the enemies of freedom of speech
around the world. In Russia as well," said the Russian dissident.
"Every time when they need to silence someone, they will say: 'This is
just common practice, even Trump got blocked on Twitter'."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/navalny-trump-twitter-ban-exploited-enemies-of-free-speech
Josh Rosenbluth
2021-01-10 15:55:15 UTC
Post by Johnny
[...]
If Twitter is forbidden to delete Trump's account then they would also
be forbidden from deleting the account of people who post speech in
support of terrorism that is protected by the First Amendment. One such
example post would be, "We should mobilize to kill all Republicans."
(and yes, that is protected by the First Amendment).
Johnny
I don't think Twitter will be around much longer.
El Castor
2021-01-10 21:13:58 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Johnny
[...]
Free enterprise. It's a business decision. Twitter is free to serve
who it wishes and you and I are free not to use it. That is what this
country is (or should be) all about.