Do You Believe Juanita? Do You Believe Bill Clinton Has a Place in Decent Society?
2018-01-08 19:57:57 UTC
The jig is up (only 20 years late):

-----------------

"Here's Why Liberals Are Finally Reckoning With Bill
Clinton's Alleged Sex Crimes

L.V. Anderson Nov 16 2017, 7:35 AM

In the wake of bombshell reports about Harvey Weinstein's
history of sexually harassing and assaulting women, dozens
of powerful men have lost their jobs after being outed as
sexual predators. Now liberals are turning their focus to
one powerful man who didn't lose his job after being outed
as a sexual predator: Bill Clinton. This week, writers at
the New York Times, the Atlantic, Vox and Politico have
returned to the allegations against Clinton and concluded
that Democrats made the wrong call when they rushed to
defend him in the '90s.

Clinton has been accused of raping Juanita Broaddrick in
1978, of propositioning and exposing himself to Paula Jones
in 1991, of groping Kathleen Willey in 1993 and — most
famously — of having an affair with an intern, Monica
Lewinsky, in the mid-'90s. Clinton has continued to deny all
the allegations except the Lewinsky affair, and Democrats
have largely ignored or cast doubt on the other allegations.
Until now. . . .

Goldberg asserts, "It's fair to conclude that because of
Broaddrick's allegations, Bill Clinton no longer has a place
in decent society."

Meanwhile, Vox's Matt Yglesias concludes that Clinton should
have stepped down from the presidency — not because of the
Broaddrick charges, but because of the Lewinsky affair.
Democrats, by and large, agreed at the time that the affair
was the Clintons' private business, but Yglesias thinks that
"What we should have talked about was men abusing their
social and economic power over younger and less powerful
women." [. . .]
http://digg.com/2017/bill-clinton-sex-crimes-reckoning

--------------------------------------
Fame is a vapor, popularity is an
accident, riches take wings, those
who cheer today may curse tomorrow
and only one thing endures - character.
-- Harry S. Truman
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-08 22:54:19 UTC
-----------------
[...]
Do you believe that Richard III ordered the murder
of the two little princes in the Tower? I do, since I'm
not a fan of Richard III, but there are admittedly
other candidates who would also have had motives to
murder the boys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes_in_the_Tower
mg
2018-01-10 10:10:46 UTC
-----------------
[...]
I always hated history and geography when I was a kid and
most of what I know about those two subjects, I've probably
learned posting on newsgroups since I retired. Having said
all that, people our age have seen a lot of history fly by
during our lifetimes.
Gary
2018-01-10 13:01:40 UTC
--------------------------------------
Fame is a vapor, popularity is an
accident, riches take wings, those
who cheer today may curse tomorrow
and only one thing endures - character.
-- Harry S. Truman
Do you believe that Richard III ordered the murder
of the two little princes in the Tower? I do, since I'm
not a fan of Richard III, but there are admittedly
other candidates who would also have had motives to
murder the boys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes_in_the_Tower
I always hated history and geography when I was a kid and
most of what I know about those two subjects, I've probably
learned posting on newsgroups since I retired. Having said
all that, people our age have seen a lot of history fly by
during our lifetimes.
That is very true. We have seen a lot of history made in our lives.
But ... not as much as was seen by my grandfather. (and probably
yours).

I realized this back in 1969-- while sitting beside him on the sofa --
watching the moon landing on TV. He was 84 at the time. (He lived to
be 85 <1886-1971>)

I would say his generation witnessed more changes (historic and
cultural) than any other. When he was born in 1886 in rural Alabama
-- the only means of transportation was horses and trains. No planes
and no cars. He was grown when he saw his first car. About 1906. It
scared his horse !

When he was born, there were no movies, radio or TV for
entertainment. He witnessed WW1, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam. He was 17
when the Wright brothers made their first flight. (And he lived to
see men land on the moon.)

The community into which he was born in 1886 had not changed much
since the Revolution (if any). All the adult black people he knew --
had been slaves. His roots were closer to Medieval Europe. And he saw
the moon landing. What thoughts must have gone through his mind :-)

Born in the culture of Medieval England -- died in the space age.
mg
2018-01-12 13:10:00 UTC
--------------------------------------
[...]
Your grandfather saw a huge amount of technological advances
and we saw a lot of them, too. The upside to that is that it
has made our lives a lot easier. The downside, I think, is
that rapid technological advancement has mislead people into
thinking that there is a technological solution to every
problem. Take overpopulation, for instance, I would bet that
the huge majority of the people in the world think that the
overpopulation problem will be solved by technology.

--------------------------------
Never underestimate the power of
stupid people in large groups.
Gary
2018-01-12 14:39:29 UTC
--------------------------------------
[...]
I ran into something this morning I had not heard before. So maybe
technology will solve the overpopulation problem. It seems Bill Gates
has undertaken the job of perfecting the condom :-)

Meet the 11 condoms of the future selected by Bill Gates

"The common analogy is that wearing a condom is like taking a shower
with a raincoat on," Dr. Papa Salif Sow, a senior program officer at
the Gates Foundation, tells The New Republic. "A redesigned condom
that overcomes inconvenience, fumbling, or perceived loss of pleasure
would be a powerful weapon in the fight against poverty."

http://theweek.com/articles/455793/meet-11-condoms-future-selected-by-bill-gates
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-12 14:55:22 UTC
<snip>
Post by Gary
We have seen a lot of history made in our lives.
But ... not as much as was seen by my grandfather. (and probably
yours).
I realized this back in 1969-- while sitting beside him on the sofa --
watching the moon landing on TV. He was 84 at the time. (He lived to
be 85 <1886-1971>)
I would say his generation witnessed more changes (historic and
cultural) than any other. When he was born in 1886 in rural Alabama
-- the only means of transportation was horses and trains. No planes
and no cars. He was grown when he saw his first car. About 1906. It
scared his horse !
Not really relevant to this thread, but when I was up in Anchorage
once, I went to see a parade in town. There was a horse in the
parade, and my son's dog Clancy (deceased now, two dogs ago)
was plainly stupefied at the sight of the horse. You could read on
his face "That's the biggest dog I've ever seen! It's scary - it
might be dangerous!"
Post by Gary
When he was born, there were no movies, radio or TV for
entertainment. He witnessed WW1, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam. He was 17
when the Wright brothers made their first flight. (And he lived to
see men land on the moon.)
When I was in England, there were cars around but none in
my neighborhood. There might have been motorized ice-cream,
and the coal was dumped on the sidewalk by a truck. My
grandfather was a coal miner and got a half-ton or something
like that free from the mine. With some not-very-effective help
from me, he shoveled it into several wheelbarrow loads and
emptied it into our coal "bin" (not sure of that name), which
was a small room, part of the house but with no entry to the
rest of the house, just for storing coal, with its own outside
door. We had to bring the coal into the house as needed via a
small coal container that was kept next to the fireplace.

There was a fire in the fireplace just about all the waking
hours. In winter, my grandfather would get out of bed first to
start the fire, then everybody else would come down and sit
in the living room, gradually cracking the door open a bit until
the rest of the house warmed up.

The rag-and-bone man came around weekly with a horse
and cart. We kids would get ice cream from him as a reward
for bringing the stuff to him. I was ticked off once when I
didn't get any ice cream because I hadn't brought enough stuff.

The only movies I saw were black and white American
Cowboy white-hat-black-hat movies, shown on a home projector
in the basement of a local church, attended exclusively by little
kids, and the admission was a penny. That would have been
1951 and earlier, since I came to the USA in the summer of
1951 during Summer Vacation.

Here's the church, on Whinney Hill (Oldgate Lane):
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.445695,-1.304228,151.98h,6.02p,1z
That's the only church I ever remember being in, in England,
and only for the movies which were held on Wednesdays as
I recall.

I must be getting really old, because nostalgia is really
kicking in.

<snip>
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-10 15:38:29 UTC
-----------------
[...]
I feel the same. Art and Science are much more interesting
to me than history. I like geography though, just because I
like pretty pictures, and the various types of maps of the
world are pretty. I couldn't imagine spending a whole
semester studying geography, though. I've posted this
particular map numerous times on this group lately:
https://tinyurl.com/yavta3kw

Here's another interesting map:
https://tinyurl.com/yag28fnt
mg
2018-01-12 13:16:05 UTC
-----------------
[...]
Ukraine is one of the few countries in the world that is of
extreme interest to me. One reason is because of their high
education level and another reason is that I have a friend
that lives there (Odessa).

My friend Alex, incidentally, always wanted to come to the
US, then, one day, after talking about it for years, he
suddenly said that he had lost interest and said that from
what he had been reading lately, life in the US wasn't all
that much better than life in Ukraine.
wolfbat359
You movin there MG?
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-12 14:55:22 UTC
-----------------
[...]
I don't know anything about life in "Ukraine", but I
was just wondering why there's so much brouhaha
now about not calling it "The Ukraine". Until very
recently, it was always called "The Ukraine", and I
don't see what's offensive at all about that. We
have "The United Kingdom" and "The United States"
and "The European Union".

Trump's "shithole countries" was offensive, though
not to me, because I agree with him. I could have
sworn I actually heard him on TV saying that, but
maybe I'm misremembering. All I see about it now
are "expletive deleted" and other wimp-outs.
Emily
2018-01-12 18:43:15 UTC
Trump's "shithole countries" was offensive, though
not to me, because I agree with him. I could have
sworn I actually heard him on TV saying that, but
maybe I'm misremembering. All I see about it now
are "expletive deleted" and other wimp-outs.
I frequently turn on the TV very early in the morning just to see if
we're at war yet and if we're not I go back to sleep. This morning
every channel that ever reports any news was talking about that
comment. I don't turn on the sound but I know that's what they were
talking about because of the banner or whatever it's called across the
bottom of the screen.

Basically, I also agree with him. I honestly do not care what color
someone's skin is, but I do care very much if they're so uneducated
and backward that they would have no chance of finding gainful
employment here. And of course I agree with keeping Muslims out, as I
do anyone who's heavily into any religion. We clearly have more than
enough religious wingnuts here already, many of them in elected
positions.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-12 21:51:02 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by rumpelstiltskin
Trump's "shithole countries" was offensive, though
not to me, because I agree with him. I could have
sworn I actually heard him on TV saying that, but
maybe I'm misremembering. All I see about it now
are "expletive deleted" and other wimp-outs.
I frequently turn on the TV very early in the morning just to see if
we're at war yet and if we're not I go back to sleep. This morning
every channel that ever reports any news was talking about that
comment. I don't turn on the sound but I know that's what they were
talking about because of the banner or whatever it's called across the
bottom of the screen.
I think it was Cicero who said that all the people want
is bread and circuses. Trump is certainly giving us the
circuses!
I agree with all that, but we're "politically incorrect".
islander
2018-01-13 16:06:25 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
Did you know that immigrants are better educated than US citizens?
Nearly half of all immigrants have a college education. This article by
PEW is for the period 2010 to 2015.
https://qz.com/897120/immigrants-to-america-are-arriving-a-lot-more-highly-educated-than-they-used-to/

Did you also know that states having the smallest population of
undocumented immigrants are the conservative states. This appears to be
more about exploiting xenophobic fear than a real threat.
http://www.pewhispanic.org/interactives/unauthorized-immigrants/

Did you know that the U.S. is more prone to religious extremism than any
other western nation? We have a long history of wingnuts. Kurt
Anderson explains how we were crazy enough to elect Trump based on 500
year history of susceptibility to wingnuts. Definitely a sobering read!
https://www.amazon.com/Fantasyland-America-Haywire-500-Year-History-ebook/dp/B004J4WNJE
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-13 17:18:30 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
Those would be predominantly from a small number of
the nations from where the immigrants come, of course.
Post by islander
Did you also know that states having the smallest population of
undocumented immigrants are the conservative states. This appears to be
more about exploiting xenophobic fear than a real threat.
http://www.pewhispanic.org/interactives/unauthorized-immigrants/
Did you know that the U.S. is more prone to religious extremism than any
other western nation? We have a long history of wingnuts. Kurt
Anderson explains how we were crazy enough to elect Trump based on 500
year history of susceptibility to wingnuts. Definitely a sobering read!
https://www.amazon.com/Fantasyland-America-Haywire-500-Year-History-ebook/dp/B004J4WNJE
Oh, yeah, that is conspicuous. Most other nations
in Christendom have discarded Christianity to a much
greater extent than the USA. I guess it's our isolation
from Europe that has allowed things to fester here.
islander
2018-01-14 15:38:36 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/2015/09/2015-09-28_modern-immigration-wave_REPORT.pdf
The PEW report does not go into a lot of detail about country of origin,
except to point out that immigration from Mexico is at the lowest point
in 50 years. Overall, during the period 1965 to 2015, 25% came from
south east Asia, 51% came from Latin America, and 12% came from Europe.
Over the period 2009-2013 2.5M arrived from Asia and 1.7M from Central &
South America. Of recent arrivals (2013) the percentage with a college
degree are: 41% for those from Central & South America, 57% from Asia,
61% from Europe, and 36% from Africa.

The opinions by partisan bias indicates that 53% of Republicans feel
that immigrants are making American society worse while 55% of Democrats
feel that immigrants are making things better. See my citation in my
Did you also know that states having the smallest population of
undocumented immigrants are the conservative states. This appears to be
more about exploiting xenophobic fear than a real threat.
http://www.pewhispanic.org/interactives/unauthorized-immigrants/
Did you know that the U.S. is more prone to religious extremism than any
other western nation? We have a long history of wingnuts. Kurt
Anderson explains how we were crazy enough to elect Trump based on 500
year history of susceptibility to wingnuts. Definitely a sobering read!
https://www.amazon.com/Fantasyland-America-Haywire-500-Year-History-ebook/dp/B004J4WNJE
Oh, yeah, that is conspicuous. Most other nations
in Christendom have discarded Christianity to a much
greater extent than the USA. I guess it's our isolation
from Europe that has allowed things to fester here.
Anderson attributes a lot of the reason for the persistence of Christian
belief, especially for the more extreme versions, to Martin Luther and
Protestantism. It set the tone for replacing the more stable versions
of Christianity with fundamentalism. He does go on to describe the rise
of more mythical beliefs in the '60s including the denial of science.
Interestingly, Kellyanne Conway's comment about "alternative facts"
could have a basis in the increase in emphasis on belief rather than
facts that grew in popularity during the '60s and into the '70s.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-01-14 17:14:50 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
I'm not in that 55%, if that figure can be trusted (questionable).
We need to take care of the people who are already in the USA
first, IMO, and we're not doing that because of feeding the rich.
[...]
Republicans are certainly expert on "alternative facts",
though the USA in general is pretty good at that, which is
why I include "RT" as a big piece of my news-watching.
RT is on my TV right now, though I haven't been watching
it closely because I'm fussing with soc.retirement. I should
pause after I post this, so I can watch RT more closely,
which I will.

mg
2018-01-12 22:00:33 UTC
-----------------
[...]
There's a Wikipedia article that discusses the issue of
"Ukraine" versus "the Ukraine" and I also found a BBC
article on the subject. It looks like one reason is that the
Ukrainian language does not use definite articles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18233844
https://www.google.com/search?q=why+no+%22the%22+ukraine&rlz=1C1VSNG_enUS691US695&oq=why+no+%22the%22+ukraine&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.10401j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As an interesting aside, Obama evidently once called Libya a
"shit show". However, in that case, I think he was probably
talking about the military operation.
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/04/obamas-worst-mistake-libya/478461/