Blowback starts: Hunter’s family challenges Senator "Love Child" Edwards to paternity test
Sordo
2008-08-09 16:49:23 UTC
Blowback starts: Hunter’s family challenges Edwards to paternity test

August 9, 2008
by Ed Morrissey
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/09/blowback-starts-hunters-family-challenges-edwards-to-paternity-test/

How badly did John Edwards blow his confession last night on ABC? He
managed to infuriate the family of his paramour, Rielle Hunter, into
challenging Edwards to a paternity test:

In the first reaction from Hunter’s family, her younger sister
Melissa told ABC News that Edwards should immediately follow through on
his pledge to take a paternity test.

“I would challenge him to do so,” the sister said. “Somebody must
stand up and defend my sister,” she said. “I wish that those involved
would refrain from bad-mouthing my sister.”

In his interview with ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff
acknowledging the affair, Edwards said he knew the child was not his
because of “the timing” of the pregnancy and the affair.

Edwards’ attempt to salvage some shred of his personal reputation at the
expense of Rielle Hunter has caused this blowback. Let’s consider
Melissa’s wrath for a moment. It springs from the notion that Edwards
and Hunter didn’t have anything more than a physical affair and that
Rielle slept with his campaign manager at nearly the same time — which
certainly paints Hunter as something less than a virtuous woman.

Now, why would Hunter’s sister publicly challenge Edwards to take that
paternity test? It certainly isn’t to encourage him to clear his name,
as the rest of the article makes Melissa’s hostility plain. Melissa
apparently has some knowledge of her niece’s paternity. This strongly
indicates that Edwards indeed fathered the child, and that Edwards is
still lying.

Why would he do that? If Edwards fathered the child, it means that the
affair continued into May 2007, rather than ending in 2006 as Edwards
claims. Edwards and his campaign announced the recurrence of his wife’s
cancer months before May 2007, which means Edwards continued his affair
with Rielle while his wife was seriously ill.

All Edwards had to do was either admit to the whole thing at once, or
treat Rielle Hunter as something better than a frat-house groupie in his
confession. Unfortunately, once again he proved himself so
self-absorbed that he couldn’t see the honest way out.
al Guacamole
2008-08-09 17:40:57 UTC
Blowback starts: Hunter’s family challenges Edwards to paternity test
August 9, 2008
by Ed Morrisseyhttp://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/09/blowback-starts-hunters-family-...
How badly did John Edwards blow his confession last night on ABC? He
managed to infuriate the family of his paramour, Rielle Hunter, into
In the first reaction from Hunter’s family, her younger sister
Melissa told ABC News that Edwards should immediately follow through on
his pledge to take a paternity test.
“I would challenge him to do so,” the sister said. “Somebody must
stand up and defend my sister,” she said. “I wish that those involved
would refrain from bad-mouthing my sister.”
Her sister knew the notoriety that would happen if this became public.
Her comment only adds more hurt to her own sister. It's two consenting
people here, and that really doesn't concern the rest of us. We can
criticize his stupidity and unfaithfulness, but he has already
apologized for that in spades, and already been punished enough by the
public confession that he has been forced to make and the reaction
from his wife and public.
Evelyn
2008-08-09 18:14:27 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
from his wife and public.- Hide quoted text -
I feel someone ought to state the obvious.

Like most of us here, I remember the pre-pill days.

There is absolutely NO excuse in the world for a woman today, who has
sex with a married guy, or actually with anyone, to get pregnant.
There are options...... options that weren't always available.

OK...... so having had unprotected sex, there is a morning after pill
for such faux pas, and then again, failing that....abortion is
available all over. Failing to take advantage all of those options,
she chose to bear the child....which is definitely her right, but that
isn't what I am getting at.

How can a woman who gets to this point whine about the resultant
notoriety? In fact it would appear that was EXACTLY what she was
seeking.

Getting pregnant with a high profile married man's baby had to be a
conscious act, then she also chose to bear the child. Such a person
has no valid claim to privacy and has no room to complain about public
interest in it.

I never was crazy about Edwards, and this has nothing to do with him,
besides the fact that being in the public eye usually results in a lot
of female attention. Few men are strong enough to resist the starry
eyed adulation.

I am just saying that she knew what she was letting herself in for
every step of the way. She should not complain, nor should her
family.

Other than that, it is an unfortunate event for them all, mostly for
the wronged wife. I really only feel sorry for her in this.

Sometimes men are total asses, but in this case there were two asses,
male and female and only one real victim.

Evelyn
Thumper
2008-08-09 18:49:28 UTC
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:14:27 -0700 (PDT), Evelyn
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
How true. People are so quick to point this out when it comes to so
called "welfare moms." Why not remember that in this situation?
Thumper
Evelyn
al Guacamole
Evelyn
al Guacamole
2008-08-10 20:41:53 UTC
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
I totally agree. How can this happen? You'd think that these are two
consenting adults bright enough to avoid a pregnancy. What were they
thinking?
Jerry Okamura
2008-08-10 20:47:32 UTC
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]

It happens all the time is the answer.... We would not have this heated
debate about abortions "if" two consenting adults acted responsibly.
Evelyn
2008-08-10 21:22:15 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
debate about abortions "if" two consenting adults acted responsibly.- Hide quoted text -
That is true. There is just so little excuse for it these days with
so many options.

Evelyn
Jerry Okamura
2008-08-11 17:28:37 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]

Ain't that the truth. But is still puts too much of the responsiblity on
the woman it seems to me, and too little of the responsibility on the man.

Evelyn
al Guacamole
2008-08-12 05:32:45 UTC
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
Ain't that the truth. But is still puts too much of the responsibility on
the woman it seems to me, and too little of the responsibility on the man.
No doubt that both are responsible. But if quite obvious that she
suffers the pregnancy and not the man. If she doesn't want that, then
she should take precautions.
El Castor
2008-08-12 07:21:59 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
Being the mother of a child fathered by a man worth $30 million could
be a very lucrative proposition, and something that might be sought
after by some women -- that's why Edwards (if he is the father) should
have taken precautions. How much is that child worth? $100,000 a year
and college tuition? More? Looks like she hit the lottery.
Evelyn
2008-08-12 14:30:04 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
and college tuition? More? Looks like she hit the lottery.- Hide quoted text -
Whenever someone has an "accidental" pregnancy these days, it is often
wise to look for other motives. In this I agree with you. She may
have had an agenda.

Evelyn
JC

Could there be a Ted Kennedy solution in the works?
al Guacamole
2008-08-13 17:28:07 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
She was lucky. I think that she was another Monica Lywinsky. Edwards
made a mistake and didn't pay for a cover-up. He's friends did
however, without Edwards' knowledge, pay well for her silence.
Everybody knows now and she's up the creek. Perhaps, at this time, she
can make more money by selling juicy details to the tabloids.
Rita
2008-08-13 21:14:08 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
How do you know for a fact Edwards did not pay for Hunter's
expenses? He lied about the affair, why assume he is not lying
about this? She's up no creek -- she and the child will be supported
handsomely. If that doesn't happen, all she has to do is to allow
the child's DNA to be tested. Ever think of that?
al Guacamole
2008-08-14 19:24:47 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
Then why does he offer his DNA for testing? And how about the
statement on the Nightline show by the guy who did pay it? He said
that he paid it on his own and did not tell Edwards. Do you think that
they have conspired to lie? And why should they pay if she's already
told her story? You really need to prove your wild accusations are
true. They would have some basis if other than the National Enquirer,
some other reliable source is stating your case.
Rita
2008-08-14 20:42:41 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
If you like you can choose to believe Edwards came totally clean
and everything he said was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing
but the truth.

The National Enquirer is a rag but even a gossip rag is right some
of the time. And obviously it was right when it reported Edwards
had had an affair and the the woman in the affair had a baby and
said the father of the baby was a married man from the Edwards'
campaign staff and that an Edwards supporter have given them
both money to make themselves scarce in the another part of the
country.

Edwards denied all of this flatly as you may recall before he
finally 'fessed up.
al Guacamole
You missed that part where the rumor was that the baby was his.
Rita
2008-08-15 19:50:37 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by El Castor
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
I think it is highly probable it is. You can count on someone
getting hold of DNA (saliva, hair, etc.) from Edwards and the
baby and having them tested for a match.

It is the only explanation that makes any sense of the fact that
the man who said he was the father and his wife and kids were given
money to move to the West Coast and for a time lived together in
the same house with Hunter as well.
Thumper
2008-08-15 21:23:32 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by El Castor
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
Whose business is it?
Thumper
Rita
2008-08-15 21:35:21 UTC
Post by Thumper
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
Edwards voluntarily made a statement on the affair. If parts of
that statement were a lie then I find it hard to blame the press for
following up on it. He made the matter public first.

The press also reported Guiliani's affair before he and his wife
separated. Did you ask the same question then? I'll bet not.
al Guacamole
2008-08-16 17:53:25 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Thumper
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
The press was negligent for not following up on the Enquirer report.
This is newsworthy stuff. The public needs to know because Edward's
candidacy and his strong statements on moral values have already been
in the news. I don't see the problem with Giuliani. The press did its
job there. I don't think that it is a problem with Giuliani supporters.
al Guacamole
2008-08-16 17:48:35 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
It's confusing to me as to what is the truth of the matter. But are
you denying that the rumor was that he was the father? It would
probably be better for the press to steal a sample of the baby's body.
Edwards has already given consent to the DNA test. For consistency, a
sample of her should also be taken to show that she is really the
mother.
Rita
2008-08-16 18:51:29 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
DNA can be obtained from saliva and other bodily fluids. Law
enforment has obtained DNA from a cup a person used to drink
from, for example. The National
Inquirer is pursuing this and I would not put it past them to pay
someone to obtain a sample of this sort from the child. Unlike
legitimate press, they pay handsomely for information -- like it or
not it works too.

At any rate a lot that is going on in this case is "iffy". The
Enquirer will not leave this alone, and now that Edwards gave a
statement that seemed to satisfy no one, the MSM will continue
to report on it.
Rumpelstiltskin
2008-08-16 19:20:47 UTC
Post by Rita
DNA can be obtained from saliva and other bodily fluids. Law
enforment has obtained DNA from a cup a person used to drink
from, for example. The National
Inquirer is pursuing this and I would not put it past them to pay
someone to obtain a sample of this sort from the child. Unlike
legitimate press, they pay handsomely for information -- like it or
not it works too.
At any rate a lot that is going on in this case is "iffy". The
Enquirer will not leave this alone, and now that Edwards gave a
statement that seemed to satisfy no one, the MSM will continue
to report on it.
Yet another example of why listening to American "News" is
such a waste of time.
George Z. Bush
2008-08-16 20:11:33 UTC
(Snip)
Post by Rita
DNA can be obtained from saliva and other bodily fluids. Law
enforment has obtained DNA from a cup a person used to drink
from, for example. The National
Inquirer is pursuing this and I would not put it past them to pay
someone to obtain a sample of this sort from the child. Unlike
legitimate press, they pay handsomely for information -- like it or
not it works too.
At any rate a lot that is going on in this case is "iffy". The
Enquirer will not leave this alone, and now that Edwards gave a
statement that seemed to satisfy no one, the MSM will continue
to report on it.
Shame on them for wasting their time and effort on such trivial garbage when
far more important stuff is going on in the world that deserves their
undivided attention. All they're doing is catering to the interests of the
basest among us for which they get no prizes from me.

George Z.
JC
2008-08-16 20:23:05 UTC
Post by George Z. Bush
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:48:35 -0700 (PDT), al Guacamole
(Snip)
[...]
I said it a long, long time ago. You can never trust a person who's
eyes blink with their every word. It's a classic sign of dishonesty.
al Guacamole
2008-08-17 20:56:23 UTC
Post by JC
Post by George Z. Bush
[...]
It could be new contacts or badly fitted ones? I can see the need for
a trial lawyer to look good before a jury. Perhaps he also dyes his
hair? If so I'd like to know how. I haven't been too successful in
that area. Just too allergic to almost all dyes.

Rita
2008-08-16 20:26:49 UTC
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:11:33 -0400, "George Z. Bush"
Post by George Z. Bush
(Snip)
Post by Rita
[...]
One may agree with you but the MSM did hold off on this story for
over a year and now feels a bit put out the infamous Enquirer did
get something right. For once. So now the Enquirer will not be the
only source to pursue it further.
al Guacamole
2008-08-17 20:51:32 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
Quite true. Unfortunately, Edwards political career may be over.
Perhaps that's a good thing. There are a number of personal things on
his plate at the present as well.
Rumpelstiltskin
2008-08-13 21:36:17 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
Doubtless she's already got offers. Maybe for a million
bucks, or maybe she's already been offered a million and
is holding out for more.

There oughtta be a law, though I can't think of how
one could be crafted without crippling freedom of the
press. Maybe I should say there oughtta be some tiny
sense of decency or some value given to fair play by
the public. What am I saying though? Of course
there's no such thing, never was, never will be, except
among the Amish perhaps but I'm not even sure about
them.
al Guacamole
2008-08-14 19:30:02 UTC
On Aug 13, 11:36 am, Rumpelstiltskin
Post by Rumpelstiltskin
Post by al Guacamole
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
I'm afraid that we'll even hear from her the juicy details like
whether he has a strong libido, or is well-hung, etc. Too much and we
really don't want to know that much. I do confess that I have been
reading this story at the checkout line at the supermarkets. They
leave the National Enquirer for waiting customers in line.
George Z. Bush
2008-08-14 20:41:18 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
I'm afraid that we'll even hear from her the juicy details like
whether he has a strong libido, or is well-hung, etc. Too much and we
really don't want to know that much. I do confess that I have been
reading this story at the checkout line at the supermarkets. They
leave the National Enquirer for waiting customers in line.
Shame on you for peeking into somebody else's connubial sack, married or
not, celebrity or not. With all of the things going on in the country and
in the world today, to confess interest in stuff like that is to admit that
your sense of values isn't worth a barrel of spit, as the late John Nance
Garner used to say about being FDR's Vice President.

Personally, I don't really care who slept with who because I've been around
long enough to realize that that kind of stuff goes on around us all of the
time and among people who we might not even suspect of being either
interested in or capable of taking part in such fun and games. It's just
one of life's "givens".....like so many other things, sex is one of those
things that just happens. It's just one mostly pleasurable part of being
human. The only time it really merits attention is when one of the
participants is a "holier than thou" type who badly needs to have his (or
her) exalted self-image deflated.

George Z.
al Guacamole
2008-08-15 18:48:37 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
We all lie about sex, don't we? It's to be expected. But I understand
what you mean about hypocrisy here.
Rita
2008-08-10 22:46:35 UTC
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
Whoever said politicians involved in secret affairs were thinking?
Obviously they are risk takers first and foremost. Probably a good
part of the thrill.
Olly Mensch
2008-08-11 00:20:41 UTC
BOBBIT !!!!!!!!!!!

Olly
al Guacamole
2008-08-13 17:29:41 UTC
Post by Olly Mensch
BOBBIT !!!!!!!!!!!
Olly
Dangeroussss..... Opps it's gone!
Rumpelstiltskin
2008-08-11 00:46:37 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Sordo
[...]
Nietzsche says the following, which seems to me particularly
pertinent to men who love the power game and therefore tend
to become prominent in politics or business. It perhaps explains
why sexual liaisons that seem so stupid seem prominent in
exactly those men: "A man wants two things - danger and play.
Therefore he wants woman as the most dangerous plaything."
al Guacamole
2008-08-12 05:35:07 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by al Guacamole
Post by Evelyn
Post by al Guacamole
[...]
Well Edwards attributes it to stupidity. He said he was feeling very
good and "invincible". He doesn't get off on taking risks. And being a
trial lawyer, he probably a lot more into managing risks than taking
it.
Florida
2008-08-10 22:08:07 UTC
On Aug 9, 2:14 pm, Evelyn <***@gmail.com> wrote:
-SNIP-
Post by Evelyn
How can a woman who gets to this point whine about the
resultant notoriety? In fact it would appear that was EXACTLY what she
was seeking.
I think so. We notice that she managed to become pregnant by
someone with money who would feel an obligation to support the child
(and incidentally her) until at least the child's 18th birthday.
It's hard to find girlish innocence in that, in the age of multiple
kind of birth control and 'morning after' shots.
Plus she managed to trash his chances for political power for the
foreseeable future, but of course *nobody* would *ever* think of that,
or saving a stained blue dress, or carefully tell everybody who would
listen... nope.
Evelyn
Rita
2008-08-10 23:09:24 UTC
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:08:07 -0700 (PDT), Florida
Post by Florida
-SNIP-
Post by Evelyn
How can a woman who gets to this point whine about the
resultant notoriety? In fact it would appear that was EXACTLY what she
was seeking.
I think so. We notice that she managed to become pregnant by
someone with money who would feel an obligation to support the child
(and incidentally her) until at least the child's 18th birthday.
It's hard to find girlish innocence in that, in the age of multiple
kind of birth control and 'morning after' shots.
Plus she managed to trash his chances for political power for the
foreseeable future, but of course *nobody* would *ever* think of that,
or saving a stained blue dress, or carefully tell everybody who would
listen... nope.
Edwards had far more to lose than Hunter. After all, Edwards is a
very rich man and surely would support any child of his handsomely,
and by extension, the mother. And that is exactly what seems to have
happened. He got a friend/campaign associate to act as a beard
and say the child was his. Does anyone at all believe this? I
think not.
Evelyn
Florida
2008-08-10 23:49:02 UTC
Post by Rita
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:08:07 -0700 (PDT), Florida
Post by Florida
-SNIP-
Post by Evelyn
[...]
Very high probability that it is his child. But I'd still like
to know the results of a DNA test, just to allay that lingering doubt.
Paternity is no longer a matter of accusation and counter-accusation.
The whole thing is still a JerrySpringer moment, of course.