NCAA bans Mississippi from holding any championships over state flag
2020-06-19 17:54:58 UTC
By Jacob Gallant
June 19, 2020

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - The NCAA Board of Governors is banning any NCAA
championship events from being held in Mississippi.

The decision was made due to the Confederate symbol represented in
Mississippi’s state flag.

The policy, enacted in 2001, previously included sites that were
determined in advance of a championship, but now includes events where
Mississippi teams may host championships.

This means Mississippi teams will not be able to host a regional or
super regional championship on campus, for example.

“Competing in an NCAA championship is a special experience for college
athletes who compete at the highest level and we are grateful for the
college athlete voice leading to this decision,” said Mark Emmert, NCAA
president. “We must do all we can to ensure that NCAA actions reflect
our commitment to inclusion and support all our student-athletes. There
can be no place within college sports where any student-athlete is
demeaned or unwelcome.”

Thursday night, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey called on Mississippi to
change the state flag, and Ole Miss and Mississippi State leaders put
out statements in agreement with Sankey.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/06/19/ncaa-bans-mississippi-hold-any-championships-over-state-flag/
Gary
2020-06-19 19:09:55 UTC
Post by Johnny
Thursday night, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey called on Mississippi to
change the state flag, and Ole Miss and Mississippi State leaders put
out statements in agreement with Sankey.
https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/06/19/ncaa-bans-mississippi-hold-any-championships-over-state-flag/
Those (whatevers) have no respect for traditions, customs, ancestry
and habits.
Johnny
2020-06-19 19:19:58 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:09:55 -0400
Post by Gary
Post by Johnny
Thursday night, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey called on Mississippi to
change the state flag, and Ole Miss and Mississippi State leaders put
out statements in agreement with Sankey.
https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/06/19/ncaa-bans-mississippi-hold-any-championships-over-state-flag/
Those (whatevers) have no respect for traditions, customs, ancestry
and habits.
Blacks and liberals think Mississippi's flag honors the Confederacy and
slavery, when it actually honors the citizens of Mississippi that died
in the war, which ever flag they fought under.

Do you think it was racist for Lincoln to ask the band to play Dixie
when the war was over?
Gary
2020-06-19 21:55:56 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by Johnny
Thursday night, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey called on Mississippi to
change the state flag, and Ole Miss and Mississippi State leaders put
out statements in agreement with Sankey.
https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/06/19/ncaa-bans-mississippi-hold-any-championships-over-state-flag/
Those (whatevers) have no respect for traditions, customs, ancestry
and habits.
Blacks and liberals think Mississippi's flag honors the Confederacy and
slavery, when it actually honors the citizens of Mississippi that died
in the war, which ever flag they fought under.
So true, so true. I can recall my grandfather telling me about his
father's being wounded in the Civil War. Grandpa didn't blame the
Yankees. He blamed the Confederacy !
Post by Johnny
Do you think it was racist for Lincoln to ask the band to play Dixie
when the war was over?
I've never understood why the blacks think so high of Lincoln. We've
never had a president who disliked blacks more than ol' Abe did.