Missing posters
Add Reply
JackPineSavage
2018-10-08 16:23:49 UTC
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Emily
2018-10-08 17:57:48 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
I think mg said he was taking a break and I've been doing much the
same, just checking the posts occasionally and not seeing anything I
wanted to comment on. What's happening to our country is so
depressing that I'm rarely watching anything political on TV except
for Rachel Maddow and I've been fast-forwarding through even through
her program when she's been talking about Kavanaugh.

But I very much appreciate your noticing and commenting on my absence.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-10-08 18:33:13 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
I think mg said he was taking a break and I've been doing much the
same, just checking the posts occasionally and not seeing anything I
wanted to comment on. What's happening to our country is so
depressing that I'm rarely watching anything political on TV except
for Rachel Maddow and I've been fast-forwarding through even through
her program when she's been talking about Kavanaugh.
But I very much appreciate your noticing and commenting on my absence.
soc.retirement seems to be losing its popularity.
I'm glad to see you're still around Emily, and I
certainly don't blame you for wanting to take a
break.
islander
2018-10-08 20:24:01 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
I think mg said he was taking a break and I've been doing much the
same, just checking the posts occasionally and not seeing anything I
wanted to comment on. What's happening to our country is so
depressing that I'm rarely watching anything political on TV except
for Rachel Maddow and I've been fast-forwarding through even through
her program when she's been talking about Kavanaugh.
But I very much appreciate your noticing and commenting on my absence.
soc.retirement seems to be losing its popularity.
I'm glad to see you're still around Emily, and I
certainly don't blame you for wanting to take a
break.
Personally, I've been spending more time on quora.com. It has a much
larger participation and the discussion seems to me to reflect a deeper
analysis than here. There is also a capability to insert graphics which
I find useful. I still read soc.retirement regularly, but have not been
participating much.
El Castor
2018-10-08 19:56:23 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
I think mg said he was taking a break and I've been doing much the
same, just checking the posts occasionally and not seeing anything I
wanted to comment on. What's happening to our country is so
depressing that I'm rarely watching anything political on TV except
for Rachel Maddow and I've been fast-forwarding through even through
her program when she's been talking about Kavanaugh.
But I very much appreciate your noticing and commenting on my absence.
I've been posting here for years. I filter cross posters and the
lunatics, which lately leaves a small handful of authentic
participants. The irony is that I came here because I was getting
ready to retire and was curious to hear what retirees had to say about
their lives after work. This group was political from day one, and has
never been about retirement -- but more about something to do in
retirement. Over the years as political discourse in the US has gotten
more shrill, and long time posters have died, the group has gradually
shrunk. Probably, more importantly, UseNet has become an anachronism,
a forgotten backwater of the Internet, replaced by Twitter, Facebook,
and the iPhone. There is still a lot of activity in the UseNet file
sharing arena, but that contributes nothing to soc.retirement. As a
gardener once told me about some flowers I was admiring, nothing
beautiful lasts forever.
Gary
2018-10-08 21:51:27 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
[...]
I first came to this news group about 14 or 15 years ago. Back then there were a lot of
posters who made interesting posts. But like you say --- many have passed on. I keep
hoping some new folks will join us.

A lot of people complain about too much politics. I could always accept that -- as
long as the posts were interesting. What bothers me now is -- too many posters make no
"comment" on their posts. Just a url directing you to some place. (Much like Drudge
Report). It's the personal thoughts I have always enjoyed -- even when I disagree
with them.

Oh, well ! Maybe things will improve :-)
JackPineSavage
2018-10-11 01:01:41 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
I think mg said he was taking a break and I've been doing much the
same, just checking the posts occasionally and not seeing anything I
wanted to comment on. What's happening to our country is so
depressing that I'm rarely watching anything political on TV except
for Rachel Maddow and I've been fast-forwarding through even through
her program when she's been talking about Kavanaugh.
But I very much appreciate your noticing and commenting on my absence.
Thanks for responding, Emily. Although I seldom see eye-to-eye with
some of your thoughts and opinions, I have always appreciated your
viewpoint and almost enjoyed reading them. I know you are a cancer
survivor and I think that is what triggered my thought about you not
having been posting when October came around. I also know you have
band-width limitations and thought maybe you had gone to Netflix or the
like to use your ration rather than coming in here. Glad to see you're
still with us.
Emily
2018-10-12 19:45:27 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
[...]
Thank you.

Alas, the cancer is still with me but isn't really causing me any
problems. The osteoporosis that's destroying my lower spine is far
more of an inconvenience. Even with the lumbar support thingy I can
only manage three games of pool before the pain overcomes the joy of
winning or the pain of losing.

As for the bandwidth problem I decided that paying $10 for another GB
is probably not going to bankrupt us. I do waste a fair amount of
time on Facebook, but mostly I've been spending my time listening to
books and playing mahjong on the computer. I will admit I've become
addicted to mahjong, particularly since it doesn't require using any
bandwidth. The books and the game occupy my mind enough that I don't
spend a lot of time thinking about the miserable depths to which this
country has sunk.
islander
2018-10-12 20:24:23 UTC
Post by Emily
Alas, the cancer is still with me but isn't really causing me any
problems. The osteoporosis that's destroying my lower spine is far
more of an inconvenience. Even with the lumbar support thingy I can
only manage three games of pool before the pain overcomes the joy of
winning or the pain of losing.
My wife has had persistent lower back pain and has been through various
attempts to deaden the pain with injections, etc. She recently has been
given a device that tapes electrodes to her lower back that is helping a
lot. Her physical therapist explains that it overloads the nerves in
the spinal column to block the pain signals, allowing the muscles to
relax. Seems to be working pretty well.
Emily
2018-10-13 00:36:15 UTC
Post by Emily
Alas, the cancer is still with me but isn't really causing me any
problems. The osteoporosis that's destroying my lower spine is far
more of an inconvenience. Even with the lumbar support thingy I can
only manage three games of pool before the pain overcomes the joy of
winning or the pain of losing.
My wife has had persistent lower back pain and has been through various
attempts to deaden the pain with injections, etc. She recently has been
given a device that tapes electrodes to her lower back that is helping a
lot. Her physical therapist explains that it overloads the nerves in
the spinal column to block the pain signals, allowing the muscles to
relax. Seems to be working pretty well.
I'm glad it's working for her. My goal is to spend as little time
with medical professionals as I can. I now see only my oncologist who
understands my wishes and prescribes my lisinopril. I see him every
six months and on alternate six months see the nurse-practitioner. It
is my fervent hope to die in my sleep and never see the inside of a
hospital again.
islander
2018-10-13 01:11:20 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by islander
Post by Emily
[...]
I can appreciate that! I'm going in for my annual physical next week.
No specific complaints, but I depend on him to advise me on regularly
scheduled tests. Hopefully they will just draw some blood and I'll see
the results a week later.

It has been almost two years since I had a stroke, so it may be time to
pay another visit to the neurologist. In the interim, my previous
neurologist retired, so I may have to break in a new one. :)

So, life goes on...

El Castor
2018-10-12 21:20:33 UTC
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
Post by Emily
Post by JackPineSavage
[...]
My wife has spinal stenosis. So much steel in her back that she sets
of the airport alarms while she's still in the parking lot. (-8
country has sunk.
mg
2018-10-11 00:26:36 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Thanks for noticing my absence. I've always enjoyed arguing about
politics and religion - since I was a kid I think, but now I suppose
that I have lost a lot of my energy due to old age, I guess.

I do still read some of the posts from time to time, though, and I try
to comment on some of them now and then.
JackPineSavage
2018-10-11 00:57:19 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Thanks for noticing my absence. I've always enjoyed arguing about
politics and religion - since I was a kid I think, but now I suppose
that I have lost a lot of my energy due to old age, I guess.
I do still read some of the posts from time to time, though, and I try
to comment on some of them now and then.
Glad to hear that you're OK, I knew you were having some health issues
plus problems recovering from your eye surgery, and at out age, you tend
to think the worst....
El Castor
2018-10-11 07:36:28 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Thanks for noticing my absence. I've always enjoyed arguing about
politics and religion - since I was a kid I think, but now I suppose
that I have lost a lot of my energy due to old age, I guess.
I do still read some of the posts from time to time, though, and I try
to comment on some of them now and then.
I hope I haven't had a hand in souring you on this place. I admit that
on rare occasion I can be a bit of a jerk. (-8
mg
2018-10-12 16:58:50 UTC
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 00:36:28 -0700, El Castor
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Thanks for noticing my absence. I've always enjoyed arguing about
politics and religion - since I was a kid I think, but now I suppose
that I have lost a lot of my energy due to old age, I guess.
I do still read some of the posts from time to time, though, and I try
to comment on some of them now and then.
I hope I haven't had a hand in souring you on this place. I admit that
on rare occasion I can be a bit of a jerk. (-8
Well, Okay -- alright then. It's about time you confessed. Your
punishment shall be three Hail Marys plus you have to put a bumper
sticker on your car that says:

"JOIN THE WAR AGAINST LOW IQ'S IN SOME AMERICANS. SUPPORT MORE
ANTI-POVERTY PROGRAMS."

:-)
Gary
2018-10-12 20:10:38 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Thanks for noticing my absence. I've always enjoyed arguing about
politics and religion - since I was a kid I think, but now I suppose
that I have lost a lot of my energy due to old age, I guess.
I do still read some of the posts from time to time, though, and I try
to comment on some of them now and then.
I hope I haven't had a hand in souring you on this place. I admit that
on rare occasion I can be a bit of a jerk. (-8
Well, Okay -- alright then. It's about time you confessed. Your
punishment shall be three Hail Marys plus you have to put a bumper
"JOIN THE WAR AGAINST LOW IQ'S IN SOME AMERICANS. SUPPORT MORE
ANTI-POVERTY PROGRAMS."
:-)
Good to see you, mg. I've missed your posts to the group. When you talk about your
younger years -- you remind me of my own history. You were in the west and I was in
the south. You were raised by Mormons and I was raised by Seventh Day Adventists.
So we were taught different religions. But it is amazing how similar they treated us
kids :-)

Drop in whenever you can.
mg
Thanks Gary. I appreciate that.
El Castor
2018-10-12 21:17:23 UTC
Post by JackPineSavage
Anybody have any clue as to what has happened to mg & Emily? Been a
long time since I have seen a post from either of them.
Thanks for noticing my absence. I've always enjoyed arguing about
politics and religion - since I was a kid I think, but now I suppose
that I have lost a lot of my energy due to old age, I guess.
I do still read some of the posts from time to time, though, and I try
to comment on some of them now and then.
I hope I haven't had a hand in souring you on this place. I admit that
on rare occasion I can be a bit of a jerk. (-8
Well, Okay -- alright then. It's about time you confessed. Your
punishment shall be three Hail Marys plus you have to put a bumper
"JOIN THE WAR AGAINST LOW IQ'S IN SOME AMERICANS. SUPPORT MORE
ANTI-POVERTY PROGRAMS." :-)
Whew, I was afraid my punishment would be a Trump sticker! Around here
my car would be lucky to last a day.